News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITewan

DAMN!!! You beat me to it, I am really looking forward to the DIABLOCERATOPS!!!!! :D :D :D
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Mauro "Raptor86"

Eheh. Anyway, I am a bit disappointed there's no Pterosaurs' toob, but that Elasmosaurus looks fine!

deanm

I'm happy with the Dimorphodon & the Burgess Toob.  :)

tyrantqueen

The Elasmosaurus has a straight neck! Hallelujah :)

Takama

Some of these look pretty good. None of these were on my prediction list.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not a bad line up at all...and the sizes are nice too.  Not a toob, but we are getting at least one kind of small pterosaur..should be fine for dios as well. :)

The only downside is that we are still seemingly getting only one Carnegie piece..but it's all good.

Dan, can I see the new dragons as well now ? ;D

DinoToyForum

The cat is out of the bag! ;D

Since the new Safari figures have been revealed by Urzeitshop, I can say that, as with the WS Liopleurodon before, I worked with the sculptor of the Elasmosaurus to make sure it is as accurate as possible. Which it is. I'm very excited about it!

The Diabloceratops looks especially great too!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 27, 2012, 01:30:12 PM
Not a bad line up at all...and the sizes are nice too.  Not a toob, but we are getting at least one kind of small pterosaur..should be fine for dios as well. :)

The only downside is that we are still seemingly getting only one Carnegie piece..but it's all good.

Dan, can I see the new dragons as well now ? ;D

Isn't this the tube? The Cambrian fauna.

Gryphoceratops

YES YES YES YES

ANOTHER new ceratopsid AND dimorphodon?!?!?!?!  Its like safari hacked into my brain and was like "Yeah lets do everything this guy wants".  The elasmosaur and Gryposaurus look great too!  Honestly I think I'm gonna end up getting all of these this year except for the tube.  No interest in that tube.

tanystropheus

Interesting. No offense, but I thought I was looking at CollectA figures---the texture application is closer to CollectA than WS (e.g compare Diabloceratops to Utahceratops). However, I could be wrong considering that these images are mainly of low resolution (except the Dimorphodon) My impressions:

Diabloceratops: Great to see this ceratopsian in figure form.  The front digits are accurately reduced. There's an odd outline surrounding the limbs of the figure as if the image was hastily cut and pasted from another website. I would like to see  the official pics, though. Also, the top horns are asymmetrical (battle damage? genetic variant? deceptive viewing angle?)

Dimorphodon: I've been waiting forever for a model of this very well known pterosaur. The head is nicely sculpted, the limbs/digits not-so-much (especially when compared to Tapejara and Rhamphorhynchus). A nice and welcome addition.

Gryposaurus: Absolutely perfect. It will look even more glorious in person!

Gastornis: Beautiful and quite natural looking.  The paint job is also appropriate.  This model is exponentially more impressive than the Diatryma by CollectA. It's a bit more refined than the 2011 Kelenken, as well.

Elasmosaurus: Enough with this LIME GREEN fetish--It's not a moray eel!? Nice model (with accurate head representation), although I think I'm sticking with my Schleich Elasmosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 27, 2012, 01:44:05 PM
The cat is out of the bag! ;D

Since the new Safari figures have been revealed by Urzeitshop, I can say that, as with the WS Liopleurodon before, I worked with the sculptor of the Elasmosaurus to make sure it is as accurate as possible. Which it is. I'm very excited about it!

The Diabloceratops looks especially great too!

I'm curious if Urzeitshop was actually permitted to release the pics, or just did it anyway.  Once I know, Blade (and everyone, but he asked), I'll show you the dragons.  As with every year, there are a couple repaints, and a couple new ones that are really cool. Of course, they always are.

One interesting thing about the Safari line up--no theropods this year (unless you're being pedantic about the Gastornis).  But overall I think they are ones that people have been hoping for (Diablo, Dimorphodon) or expecting sooner or later (Elasmosaurus--have to round out the marine figures).

One question Adam--I was always hoping that Safari would be the first with the hypothesized caudal fluke on the elasmosaur. Is that not well supported, or was it just older/different lineages? The person I spoke to discussed it in regards to ones like Muraenosaurus.

DinoToyForum

Sbell, there is evidence for a tail fin in some plesiosaurs and I think it is quite likely all plesiosaurs had one, but there is no direct evidence for elasmosaurids, so I didn't suggest it on this occasion. I did push for a tail fin for the Lio but Safari didn't want it, so I doubt they would have gone for it this time around either. I also suggested some parasites for both figures, but Safari weren't up for that. The colour scheme was decided upon by the sculptor and Safari.

Dan

I'm glad to hear they're still consulting you for their figure design. The first time I saw that Elasmosaurus, I thought "Wow, that looks nice and powerful - like Adam's illustrations."

stemturtle

Oh, give me an olm, a 5-incher alone,
Instead of the whole cave life toob.
It's a wonderful life, a fresh trilobite,
New releases do brighten our mood.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on September 27, 2012, 03:12:02 PM

That cave one isn't in the preview document. So you should have been happy with just a small olm, because unless it turns into a last-minute addition, I don't think it's happening at all (there are already a lot of different new toobs, I can't imagine they left just one out).

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on September 27, 2012, 03:48:04 PM

That cave one isn't in the preview document. So you should have been happy with just a small olm, because unless it turns into a last-minute addition, I don't think it's happening at all (there are already a lot of different new toobs, I can't imagine they left just one out).

Yes, SBell.  It was meant as a lament.  I was being silly.  Actually, I do not know if Safari intended an olm or a Texas blind salamander.  I would be happy with a small toob size.  Maybe in 2014.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Yutyrannus

What are the other toobs? Also, I have been waiting for this for years so I have to ask, is there a Mythical Realms Manticore yet? Also come on, please show us the dragons.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Some thoughts on the new lineup:

Diabloceratops: Great choice for the next ceratopsian, liking the detail and colors ... but I don't think I'll be able to justify buying it unless I can find some way to fix those darn pronated hands. A real shame, there.

Elasmosaurus: Hooray for correct neck posture and cranial anatomy! I will probably add this one to the collection, but it will need a repaint.

Gryposaurus: I dunno if it's actually very accurate or if I just don't know enough about hadrosaur anatomy to notice the issues - either way, my collection could always use more hadrosaurs, and this one looks excellent.

Gastornis: This one looks promising. Great color scheme, good details, and hey, I always welcome feathered dinosaurs :)

Dimorphodon: Whoo, pycnofibres! Still, some of the details look a little iffy. Might have to see this guy in person before I make any further judgements.

Dan

Front page updated. I've also updated my site with dimensions and approximate scales. Please feel free to contact me if any of them seem questionable; these are my own calculations, and some, like Diabloceratops, are estimated from scant remains.

Safari made the images public today by posting the complete 2013 Preview Catalog here for all to enjoy:

http://www.safariltd.com/pdfs/2013/SAFARI_LTD_PREVIEW_2013.pdf

It appears Safari is making the Toobs spookier than ever before. Cambrian Toob, Halloween Toob, and perhaps most disturbing of all,  the "People in Motion" Toob.

SBell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 27, 2012, 04:17:53 PM

What are the other toobs? Also, I have been waiting for this for years so I have to ask, is there a Mythical Realms Manticore yet? Also come on, please show us the dragons.

I am just confirming that I can--Ureitshop is not Safari's favourite company right now, as they were not supposed to say anything just yet.

But, no. No manticore.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: