News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 20, 2020, 02:36:14 AM
The Xiphactinus joins my wishlist; avatar_suspsy @suspsy are the extant models revealed too?

Haven't received the email from CollectA yet; will forward it to you tomorrow morning.

Well, I hope for non-dinosaurs and I am not disappointed! The Elasmosaurus looks very nice in those colours, and the curving neck makes it look less stiff than the Deluxe Thalassomedon. The Xiphactinus has a much duller colour scheme, akin to a carp, but it looks perfectly realistic. And much more importantly, its mouth looks nightmarish!

I'll probably pick up that toob as well, although that'll leave me with two Pliosaurus. Too bad they didn't go with Kronosaurus instead.

Next week ought to be the final reveal. Bring on that mystery invertebrate! And a terrestrial Paleozoic denizen and a Cenozoic beast, please!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Really liking the Elasmosaurus so far, definitely an improvement over their Thalassomedon. Never liked how straight and thin the neck of the latter was. The wide open-mouth gape just further emphasises that flaw.
The thicker neck, more dynamic pose, and elegant colours easily puts this on my wish list.

FINALLY! A Xiphactinus! The promo shot makes the figure look weird though. It's probably just the angle, but right now the body looks oddly compressed. Looking forward to seeing more images of this one.

And as for the set... the only figure that is remotely interesting is the mini Guidraco and Iguanodon. Disappointed to see downscaled, reused sculpts over and over again in these box sets. And didn't CollectA release a mini Pliosaurus in the Prehistoric Sea Life set already?
With how well these sets are selling, it's rather sad to see the lackluster effort put into the product. This line of figures just screams of wasted potential.

SBell

Very excited that they are finally making the Xiphactinus as a larger figure!

And the elasmosaur is kind of cool. Very different look from what we're used to.

And I'm good with that box set. I like having mini figures of the originals. Takes less room!

Faelrin

Haha they did it. They finally did it. It was just yesterday that I was hoping they would have either a larger Xiphactinus or Leedsichthys to show us. Well one down at least! It's been a many years since we got the mini tube ones so this is most excellent to see this.

The Elasmosaurus is a nice addition too. Not just one but two marine predators to join their others.

Color schemes on both of these are quite nice.

Edit: Also no invertebrate this weekend. Hopefully next week then? Still that doesn't take away from my excitement of this reveal at all.
Edit 2: Just realized there's like a minimum of 3 creatures so far from the Western Interior Seaway represented by them for next year, including these two. I wonder if there is any more?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Very good addictions to the Collecta 2021 line, the elasmosaurus, it is a species that needed to be well represented by what the prototype shows, it is a very well sculpted and beautifully painted figure as if it were a paleoartist, in my case I would have preferred in size Deluxe, but still a huge figure and I am glad that Collecta focuses on figures of popular prehistoric animals such as the elasmosaurus and previously the pteranodon.

The xiphactinus is fabulous it is the prehistoric fish that I wished that one day a brand of toy dinosaurs would make, I am very happy that Collecta has made one and in a Deluxe size. Prehistoric fish need a little more love and Collecta has realized it, which I am very happy about.

On the other hand, the set of dinosaurs with guidraco and iguanodon among other figures, this set is also welcome. Now we just have to wait for next week's figures and we will have finished all the figures from Collecta 2021. They will surely reveal the mysterious invertebrate.

Jose S.M.

Very nice, both Elasmosaurus and Xiphactinus look great and even the minis have a nice variety with not so well known animals represented. Fish enthusiats are going to be happy this week!

Bokisaurus

Wow, those two are amazing! I can't believe they actually delivered and pulled off releasing a Xiphactinus for next year, very excited! CollectA really does listen to their fans😃 now my Faunacast figure will have a companion.

That elasmosaurus is just beautiful, I really like the colors and design.
I can't wait to see what the last figures will be.
It's truly remarkable that CollectA was able to produce this many figures during this time of hardship.

DinoToyForum

Great, a plesiosaur! The head and neck look wonderful at first glance, I'm looking forward to better pictures. I like the gentle curve of the neck, it is elegant. The body appears rather hump-backed and flat-chested, which is something they avoided and got spot on with their earlier Thalassomedon. So, I'd prefer a straighter and more accurate torso in the Elasmosaurus, but it looks impressive nonetheless.

triceratops83

You can always rely on Collecta, they've done a splendid job so far this year. I'll be getting that Xiphactinus for sure!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Flaffy on November 20, 2020, 02:11:48 AM
Elasmosaurus

I can't believe my eyes! I was writing about waiting for an Elasmosaur and now CollectA just gives me one I really like! Wow! Hope it's not too small. Good to know my mind-melt techniques are still working ;D

PrimevalRaptor

Now that's something to wake up to!
Finally an easy to get Xiphactinus, I've been wanting one since watching Chased by Sea Monsters as a kid! The color scheme is a bit simple but it does fit with the animal's lifestyle so no real nitpick, just me preferring patterns and stuff. Gorgeous model for sure!
And speaking of patterns, love that Elasmosaurus! I liked their Thalassomedon, but I agree with you guys, the pose looks way less stiff here, can't wait for more pictures of it.

Guess next time should be the invertebrate then? Still crossing my fingers for Aegirocassis or Pterygotus/Jaekelopterus.

Szajmin

Both are good.

Finally a Xiphactinus. 

I am still hoping for a permian/trassic terrestian non-dinosaur, and a mammal.  Now with the lisowica, they could start a trend of doing polish extint animals and make a Smok, Cyclotosaurus, Stagonolepis, Paleorhinus  Bison priscus or Bos primigenius

Libraraptor

Wow, that Elasmosaurus is great! What do you thing, avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum ?!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 20, 2020, 11:56:06 AM
Wow, that Elasmosaurus is great! What do you thing, avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum ?!

See my first impression above. I'm mixed on it, there's something 'off' with it. Certainly the hump, but maybe also the proportions, it is difficult to say from the photo. The flippers look like they might be a bit flimsy, and the tail too long. The tail fin is speculative so I don't mind it, but I would prefer a more subtle tail fin or none at all. The thing is, this figure would be picked apart by everyone in a pile on if it was a dinosaur, but because it is a plesiosaur folks don't know any better! :P

Elasmosaurs didn't have an arched hump-back. Most plesiosaurs didn't, their spines were almost straight from the pectoral region to the tip of the tail. The hump-backed plesiosaur is a bit of a paleoart meme.

Elasmosaurus cast/replica

Hydrotherosaurus shows the elasmosaur condition well, note how the dorsal series is straight as an arrow!:

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 20, 2020, 12:16:19 PM
The thing is, this figure would be picked apart by everyone in a pile on if it was a dinosaur, but because it is a plesiosaur folks don't know any better! :P

As someone who was close to buying the old Carnegie Elasmo, this one is like a supermodel to me, haha!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on November 20, 2020, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 20, 2020, 12:16:19 PM
The thing is, this figure would be picked apart by everyone in a pile on if it was a dinosaur, but because it is a plesiosaur folks don't know any better! :P

As someone who was close to buying the old Carnegie Elasmo, this one is like a supermodel to me, haha!

The Safari Ltd Wild Safari Elasmosaurus is still the most accurate on the market. A plesiosaur palaeontologist was consulted on that model. It is just a bit small.

Bread

The Elasmosaurus is quite nice, but it is a pass for me. I have the same rule with plesiosaurs as I do with sauropods. They can be too big on my shelves due to their necks.
Love the Xiphactinus! I am kind of hoping I can replicate this famous fossil/diorama.>:D

Gothmog the Baryonyx

What a nice fishy surprise. A lovely Xiphactinus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Flaffy

I wonder if the hump-back look is due to the figure's body being posed in an arch, rather than an actual humpback.
Do plesiosaur torsos have enough flexibility to perform minor arches?

Wallnut

I want a newer model of argentinosaurus and xiphacantus looks so surprised

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: