News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Szajmin on November 14, 2020, 02:06:30 AM
Maybe it is just me, maybe it the lips, but for me  megalosaurus  looks kinka like doggo, only the ear and nose are missing:

I see your doggo and raise you...

Spoiler
[close]

suspsy

I imagine any kid who didn't already own the toobs or the AR kits would love the advent calendar. Those who did would probably be disappointed, though. CollectA would've been smart to recolour them at least.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Szajmin

QuoteI had to think of an Synapsid when i first saw it. But it fits for me. I Really like the fleshy Head.

Yeah, for me the head is the best part. Rest is meh, the pose is stiff, i dont like the spots, the "quills" are okay, i like some speculation.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Szajmin on November 14, 2020, 12:44:30 PM
QuoteI had to think of an Synapsid when i first saw it. But it fits for me. I Really like the fleshy Head.

Yeah, for me the head is the best part. Rest is meh, the pose is stiff, i dont like the spots, the "quills" are okay, i like some speculation.

es, the Pose is stiff. But after reading the Thoughts of the Designer, i felt it was okay. Standing still in higher Vegetation, no movement, just focusing on the Prey. I'm absolutely okay with it. I guess i find him sympathetic. It is mostly his Falkur face :D (Had to google it. In german, his Name is Fuchur, wich could be read in a different way as a native english speaker :D)

MLMjp

Better late than never.

Pterandon looks beautiful but at 1:15 it has no place in my collection.

The Megalosaurus head looks so...plain, the body is fine but the head just looks...maybe extend the stripes over to the snout, make it a darker shade... it looks like they just gave up with the paint on it... And unpopular opinion coming... I don´t like those lips, it makes the Megalosaurus looks like a grandpa that hasn't put his dentures yet, lips look fantastic for dromeosaurs and other smaller theropods, but for the medium and bigger ones, sorry but I need exposed teeth. The Neovenator thankfully doesn't have the already mentioned problem and the lips aren't too bad on it.

Unfortunately at 16-17 cm long and with barely 6 cm of height they are a bit too small to pose as 7 meter (the length of the smaller specimens for both genus) long creatures in my 1:40-1:30 collection.

PD: Is it me or Collecta has made his standard range figures smaller on this last years? I remember seeing the Einiosaurus in a Store and it was TINY compared to other Collecta ceratopsians.

Dinoxels

I think I would like the Megalosaurus more if it actually had proper eyes instead of black holes and maybe the tail and legs were just a bit more dynamic.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on November 14, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
Quote from: Szajmin on November 14, 2020, 12:44:30 PM

es, the Pose is stiff. But after reading the Thoughts of the Designer, i felt it was okay. Standing still in higher Vegetation, no movement, just focusing on the Prey. I'm absolutely okay with it. I guess i find him sympathetic. It is mostly his Falkur face :D (Had to google it. In german, his Name is Fuchur, wich could be read in a different way as a native english speaker :D)

I wish they'd kept the name in the English translation! The plant genus Fuchsia is named after German botanist Leonhart Fuchs, and by extension a shade of purple, but we pronounce both as "FYOO-shuh" when the original way would be so much more fun.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 14, 2020, 02:45:04 PM
I wish they'd kept the name in the English translation! The plant genus Fuchsia is named after German botanist Leonard Fuchs, and by extension a shade of purple, but we pronounce both as "FYOO-shuh" when the original way would be so much more fun.
In the Spanish version it was called Fujur.  ^-^

I'm interested only in "classic" species from my childhood with very few exceptions (i.e Atlasaurus or Bajadasaurus) so this year Collecta is an easy pass for me. Maybe megalosaurus, but ... I have to see it in someone's hand, first.

Mamenchisaurus, on the other hand, is a MUST. I really like it a lot. Perfect size, pose and quite accurate. I have been thinking about getting the PNSO for a year o so, but it was too expensive and long for my taste.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: MLMjp on November 14, 2020, 01:05:21 PM
Better late than never.

Pterandon looks beautiful but at 1:15 it has no place in my collection.

The Megalosaurus head looks so...plain, the body is fine but the head just looks...maybe extend the stripes over to the snout, make it a darker shade... it looks like they just gave up with the paint on it... And unpopular opinion coming... I don´t like those lips, it makes the Megalosaurus looks like a grandpa that hasn't put his dentures yet, lips look fantastic for dromeosaurs and other smaller theropods, but for the medium and bigger ones, sorry but I need exposed teeth. The Neovenator thankfully doesn't have the already mentioned problem and the lips aren't too bad on it.

Unfortunately at 16-17 cm long and with barely 6 cm of height they are a bit too small to pose as 7 meter (the length of the smaller specimens for both genus) long creatures in my 1:40-1:30 collection.

PD: Is it me or Collecta has made his standard range figures smaller on this last years? I remember seeing the Einiosaurus in a Store and it was TINY compared to other Collecta ceratopsians.
Almost all living tetrapods have lips. Why would large theropods be an exception.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Carnoking

I find the debate over extra oral tissue on dinosaurs to be fascinating. I myself lean towards the idea that most therapod species possessed "lips", but that doesn't mean I don't love me a good toothy dinosaur model! 
In the case of the megalosaurus, I think the treatment of the mouth is a bit bizarre. Intriguing, but bizarre. There's something about the "lips" that makes them look like fleshy jowls. This gives it a more mammalian look than I think was intended.

Mattyonyx

The more I look at the Megalosaurus, the more I think it looks like a Bipedal Komodo Dragon, which I like a lot!

Szajmin

The more I look at the Megalosaurus, the more I think it looks like a Mojo Fun figure to me. I dont know why.

terrorchicken

you guys really like the new megalo head? It looks so strange to me. May need more pics to see the appeal. So far I only like the mamenchi and kamuy, and the pterandon though its too big for me.

Bread

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 15, 2020, 01:47:54 AM
you guys really like the new megalo head? It looks so strange to me. May need more pics to see the appeal. So far I only like the mamenchi and kamuy, and the pterandon though its too big for me.
Starting to notice that the head does seem a little odd. I feel as if this figure is over hyped now because we are finally getting one. However, I do still like the colors and pose, but the head is bothering me a bit. Hopefully different photo angles will be released to make this figure more appealing. Kind of worried about this one folks. :-\

Szajmin

QuoteStarting to notice that the head does seem a little odd.

Yes. As i say earlier it looks like a dog head for me.

And i kinda love it.
It is unique, it is new.

I don't really care about the name tag. They could name the figure giganotosaurus or some other name.
The one selling feature to me is the head.

I do have some problems with Neovenator head paint. It looks like a clown mask.

terrorchicken

^half their newer figures look like they have clown paint. The ceratosaurus wouldve been an insta-buy for me if it wasn't for that.

For the megalo, looks like they were trying to go for a fleshier less shrink wrapped head but kinda couldn't pull it off.  :-\

Kapitaenosavrvs

I wish they'd kept the name in the English translation! The plant genus Fuchsia is named after German botanist Leonhart Fuchs, and by extension a shade of purple, but we pronounce both as "FYOO-shuh" when the original way would be so much more fun.

Oh, i did not know that. Thanks. Makes sense, and i like the original Name Fuchur. For me it is a soft sounding name, but non germans would consider the ch as quite hard, i guess. It sounds aspirated in the Name. There is no k sound in it. I don't know how to describe it better.

QuoteIn the Spanish version it was called Fujur.

Ah, this makes sense, since the spanish j in this Name sounds a lot like the german ch in Fuchur.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on November 15, 2020, 11:23:41 PM

Oh, i did not know that. Thanks. Makes sense, and i like the original Name Fuchur. For me it is a soft sounding name, but non germans would consider the ch as quite hard, i guess. It sounds aspirated in the Name. There is no k sound in it. I don't know how to describe it better.

QuoteIn the Spanish version it was called Fujur.

Ah, this makes sense, since the spanish j in this Name sounds a lot like the german ch in Fuchur.

Yes, as a Spanish speaker, I'm familiar with this sound. :) English seems to render it as either an H or a K (phonetically speaking) depending on what's convenient.

Back to the Megalosaurus, I'm getting a lot more Komodo vibes than luckdragon vibes, but I do think it's possible that if it weren't such a longed-for genus I might evaluate it a little more harshly. I'll see what I think when I have it in hand.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Szajmin

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 15, 2020, 11:15:58 PM
^half their newer figures look like they have clown paint. The ceratosaurus wouldve been an insta-buy for me if it wasn't for that.

I dont mind some flashy colours, but this green around the lips, is just like literally sad clown makeup

Sarapaurolophus

It just ocurred to me that Kamuysaurus and Neo(n)venator are using the same colors, albeit differently distributed and I don't enjoy it. That green is so bright it burns my eyes. I love CollectA but man do I dislike their color mixing sometimes and as much as I like repainting, I don't want to repaint every new CollectA I get. I hope these will be the only new ones using this type of neon green/yellow combo.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: