News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 11, 2021, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 11, 2021, 05:01:55 PM
Great, the mammal doesn't disappoint, but looks even better than the earlier image. CollectA does wonderful work with their prehistoric mammals, but they don't overindulge for sure, issuing so few of them, unfortunately. I guess that's all that the market can sustain. It will make an interesting companion for the old Schleich Glyptodon, hopefully size-wise too.

Safari has a nice Doedicurus too.

The Safari one is nice, but the spikes on the tail are way too long for it to be an effective weapon in intraspecific combat. The CollectA one's tail is much more plausible that way.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

japfeif

Safari has a nice Doedicurus too.
[/quote]

The Safari one is nice, but the spikes on the tail are way too long for it to be an effective weapon in intraspecific combat. The CollectA one's tail is much more plausible that way.
[/quote]

Lovely Doedicurus from CollectA. The only (nit-picky) thing for me is that very obvious seam under the chin area along the bottom of the head. I know connection points & seams are part & parcel of model-making but I wish that it could have been a bit less "out there" or maybe placed somewhere less prominent. Just a bit jarring for me. Otherwise an excellent figure.

Liking the Elasmosaurus okay as well, but really not digging the long lines on the flippers (especially the front ones). They look a bit too obvious & "painted on", not like I'd think you find on a real animal Likewise for that weird arrowhead design on the top of the snout. Just looks a bit out of place, I'd have preferred they had just left the top of the snout the same color as the rest of the face. Might be a bit boring but for some reason strikes me as more realistic.

But again, probably nit-picking...both are great figures that I definitely plan to add to my collection!!!

Halichoeres

I really dislike video reviews, but I skipped through the Xiphactinus one on mute and I'm glad to see that it's suitably elongate. The stock photo made it look a little stubby, but it was definitely just the angle.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Minizoo's got more info up - The Neovenator, Mamenchisaurus and dead Brontosaurus will be available in March. There was no info (as of right now) on the Megalosaurus and Kamuysaurus, but I assume they will be March as well. Everything else is due to arrive in July.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dinoxels

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 15, 2021, 09:16:18 AM
Minizoo's got more info up - The Neovenator, Mamenchisaurus and dead Brontosaurus will be available in March. There was no info (as of right now) on the Megalosaurus and Kamuysaurus, but I assume they will be March as well. Everything else is due to arrive in July.
Where on Minizoo did you get this? Can you provide a screenshot?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

triceratops83

It says under the description for the individual figures eg "due July". Go take a look.

https://www.minizoo.com.au/collecta-mamenchisaurus-deluxe/
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Loon

Too bad the Mamenchisaurus and Xiphactinus aren't due out at the same time, but oh well, I can wait.

Loon

Well, that size comparison was really reassuring. It may be too small for others, but that is the perfect height for my shelves.  Really, it's not too different in size from any of the other Sauropods that the mainstream companies have released recently.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The size comparison isn't that helpful to me as I do not have and have never owned the Papo sitting Tyrannosaurus or the Mattel Callovosaurus. If that human is 3.75" tall that might be helpful though, and the tape measure of course.
I'm pleased to see it has the little tail club, I'm guessing then that it is based of M. sinocanadorum, the largest species then?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

I cant tell if im bummed or excited. Its smaller but bigger at the same time.

Loon

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 17, 2021, 08:12:21 PM
The size comparison isn't that helpful to me as I do not have and have never owned the Papo sitting Tyrannosaurus or the Mattel Callovosaurus. If that human is 3.75" tall that might be helpful though, and the tape measure of course.
I'm pleased to see it has the little tail club, I'm guessing then that it is based of M. sinocanadorum, the largest species then?

Yeah, that's about the height of Jurassic World figures. Also, it seems so. This was advertised as 1:100 scale, so it would have to be an absolutely massive animal.

suspsy

Yeah, the size comparison part of these videos is kind of useless. I can understand using the Papo T. rex, but the Callovosaurus is a bizarre choice. Why not go with, oh, I don't know, some actual CollectA toys instead?

Anyway, that toy is supposed to represent M. jingyanensis. And according to Eofauna's recent Sauropods book, the size of M. sinocanadorum has been overestimated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks nice, but idk, call me when we get one the size of the old Safari/Carnegie sauropods?

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2021, 08:32:48 PM
Looks nice, but idk, call me when we get one the size of the old Safari/Carnegie sauropods?

FWIW, the Mamenchisaurus scales very well with the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

This might be my first collectA figure

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on February 17, 2021, 08:49:58 PM

FWIW, the Mamenchisaurus scales very well with the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus.

hmm I do have that one.  I was thinking a couple feet long or so like the Ely Kish one.

Bokisaurus

Trust me, the Mamenchi is beautiful 😃
I think it's about the same size as the PNSO one.😍

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Hot damn I'm excited for that Mamenchisaurus! It'll flesh out my Asian taxa quite nicely.

MLMjp

Well, you can use it as a rather large M.Constructus or a somewhat smaller M. hochuanensis/ M.jingyanensis according to the following estimations. It can´t be used as a M. youngi since that one has a very specific skull that differs from the one present in this figure.
Quote from: darth daniel on November 06, 2020, 04:10:17 PM
I did some calculations based on the sizes stated for each species on wikipedia. Based on height and length in the image (admittedly, a rough method), if the head is 24 cm off the ground, 40 cm is the figure´s length (like projected on the ground) but not the length of the spine, which might end up somewhere around 50 cm (rough guess). The "table" below shows the scales for both reference lengths for each species. (And yes, I´m quite excited for this figure! ^-^ )

M. constructus:                 13 m     1:32,5 @ 40 cm            1:26 @ 50 cm
M. hochuanensis:              22 m     1:55 @ 40 cm.              1:44 @ 50 cm
M. Jingyanensis:        20 - 26 m      1:50 - 1:65 @ 40 cm    1:40 - 1:52 @ 50 cm
M. sinocanadorum:           35 m      1:87,5 @ 40 cm.           1:70 @ 50 cm
M. youngi:                       16 m      1:40 @ 40 cm.              1:32 @ 50 cm

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: