News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA--New for 2021

Started by suspsy, October 20, 2020, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Loon on March 04, 2021, 08:11:33 PM
I don't know if this has been answered, or honestly, if I've asked it before. But, how does the Elasmosaurus hold up in terms of accuracy? I currently have the Thalassomedon and think it hits the looks far better, but I'm no expert.

I'm not by any means a plesiosaur expert, but IIRC it was mentioned some time ago that it shouldn't have that arched back. I think there's no one more suited to give you a proper answer than avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum. I believe he mentioned the Safari version is still more accurate (I think he also worked on that piece with avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson).

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on March 04, 2021, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: Loon on March 04, 2021, 08:11:33 PM
I don't know if this has been answered, or honestly, if I've asked it before. But, how does the Elasmosaurus hold up in terms of accuracy? I currently have the Thalassomedon and think it hits the looks far better, but I'm no expert.

I'm not by any means a plesiosaur expert, but IIRC it was mentioned some time ago that it shouldn't have that arched back. I think there's no one more suited to give you a proper answer than avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum. I believe he mentioned the Safari version is still more accurate (I think he also worked on that piece with avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson).

Yes, we discussed it somewhere upthread, I think. The discussion about the arched back led to me writing this article: https://plesiosauria.com/did-plesiosaurs-have-the-hump/

Loon

Thanks for sharing that article. Looks like I'll be keeping the Thalassomedon as my long neck Plesiosaur for now, as it seems to not suffer from the hump back as badly, and just look nicer overall.

Shonisaurus

That pteranodon is huge. Thanks for sharing the video!

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 10, 2021, 12:09:19 PM
On a side note, let me extend my congratulations to you, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , for having reached the very rarified air of the 10,000 post mark. Well done, especially since you're contribution has been so consistent positive, affirmative and upbeat.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SidB on March 10, 2021, 12:43:51 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 10, 2021, 12:09:19 PM
On a side note, let me extend my congratulations to you, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , for having reached the very rarified air of the 10,000 post mark. Well done, especially since you're contribution has been so consistent positive, affirmative and upbeat.

Thanks for your words. In life you have to always be optimistic whatever happens.

The DTF is a forum for constructive criticism, fun and specific talk about dinosaurs, and a means of escaping from everyday problems that nobody in this world is alien to.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Does the Pteranodon come in its own box like the Caviramus does?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

I thought I was going to skip this one, and honestly, be done with the CollectA Pterosaurs as a whole, but

Seriously, this thing looks good. I'm even starting to like the somewhat ugly colors. Looks to be about the same size as the Guidraco, I'm guessing?

andrewsaurus rex

I just read the article on flat backed plesiosaurs.  Very interesting.

It may just be that i'm so used to seeing the arched back on plesiosaurs, but to my eye ,the straight flat back just looks wrong, as in being an unsound design.

However the only reason I can think of to justify an arched back, at least off the top of my head, is that an arched back would be able to withstand pressure from above better than a flat back.  That pressure from above being water pressure.  So, if plesiosaurs spent long durations, deep in the water, then an arched back may have been beneficial to preventing back injuries over time?

Or might their be hydrodynamic advantages to an arched back, in that it may have reduced drag?  The water flowing over an arched back as the animal moved forward might also create a bit of lift, in the water.  However, I doubt plesiosaurs were fast swimmers so that 'lift' might be very minimal.  And i'm not even sure if creating a bit of lift would even be beneficial, depending on the animal's natural buoyancy.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Do you have a size comparison next to a different figure?
It looks nice, but I'd like to judge the size next to something?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 11, 2021, 06:47:21 PM
Do you have a size comparison next to a different figure?
It looks nice, but I'd like to judge the size next to something?

I would honestly like to see how a comparison between this version by CollectA and the version released by Safari Ltd for 2020. I would also like to see it with the rest of the 2021 Prehistoric Line by CollectA but well, nice review by this YouTuber though. If I see another review, I'll definitely post it here.

Loon

Even in hand, this thing's still a total flatline for me. When your colors make the CollectA Dimetrodon look appealing, I really don't know what to say.

SenSx

Hello,

Sorry to ask this here, but I just received the Collecta Iguanodon, and I would like to have your opinion on it.

So as you might see, the area around the right eye is green and a bit yellow.
The area around the left eye however is a lot lighter and blemish, almost white, which is particulary glaring when you look the figure from the front.
Is it normal, are they all like that, or does mine have an issue ?

It might not seem a problem for you, but it's a big bugging me, thanks.

Gwangi

That Dilophosaurus looks like something UKRD or AAA would have made in the 90's.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the Dilophosaurus would be fine except the teeth are pretty rough, ruins an otherwise nice piece like with the Elasmosaurus.

Quote from: SenSx on March 12, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
Hello,

Sorry to ask this here, but I just received the Collecta Iguanodon, and I would like to have your opinion on it.

So as you might see, the area around the right eye is green and a bit yellow.
The area around the left eye however is a lot lighter and blemish, almost white, which is particulary glaring when you look the figure from the front.
Is it normal, are they all like that, or does mine have an issue ?

It might not seem a problem for you, but it's a big bugging me, thanks.

I looked at mine and it seems yours might be missing a paint step on that one side? I can see the problem from the front from the sides it's harder to tell..might even be a trick of the light? 

In your first pic the lower jaw looks kind of smooth as well compared to the other side, that would certainly be more of an issue.

SenSx

My pictures aren't great sorry, about that :/
The ones from the sides have different lightening so it is hard to tell.
However the one from the front is pretty telling, even if the light is still a bit different.
I tried to take another one:

It is a bit blurry, but the lightening is more equal on both sides.

And wow, you are absolutely right about the lower jaw being too smooth and flat on the right side !
How did I miss that ?
There is a glaring lack of details there.

And of course the most obvious: the tip of the beak is missing paint, but that is the least of my problem and easy to fix.
There is also some black paint on the lower jaw with very bad application (it's on the right side but not the left oO), I don't even know if it is supposed to be there.

Well thanks for your answer Blade-of-the-Moon, I am defintely returning this !

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SenSx on March 12, 2021, 05:19:39 PM
My pictures aren't great sorry, about that :/
The ones from the sides have different lightening so it is hard to tell.
However the one from the front is pretty telling, even if the light is still a bit different.
I tried to take another one:

It is a bit blurry, but the lightening is more equal on both sides.

And wow, you are absolutely right about the lower jaw being too smooth and flat on the right side !
How did I miss that ?
There is a glaring lack of details there.

And of course the most obvious: the tip of the beak is missing paint, but that is the least of my problem and easy to fix.
There is also some black paint on the lower jaw with very bad application (it's on the right side but not the left oO), I don't even know if it is supposed to be there.

Well thanks for your answer Blade-of-the-Moon, I am defintely returning this !

i would, the lack of detail is a casting error, maybe due to the mold wearing out.

SenSx

Ok thanks, sorry for changing the subject, so I might as well put this topic back on track.

I was not very impressed by this Dilophosaurus at first.
The feet look a bit too big, and I usually don't like flashy colors, but it kinda fits it, it's still an ok figure.
We don't have that many accurate Dilo, so it's a welcome addition, but I think we are much more in need of a good Cryolophosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: