News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Newt's paleoart

Started by Newt, November 15, 2020, 06:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Justin_

Quote from: Newt on March 12, 2021, 11:56:18 AM
........ I got myself a stencil knife with a tiny blade for cleaning up between the toes; it seems to be working OK.

Another thing you can do is, once it is baked, clean up between them with really find sand paper. Cut it into little squares then fold them in half.

Reuben03

Quote from: Justin_ on March 13, 2021, 09:15:07 AM
Quote from: Newt on March 12, 2021, 11:56:18 AM
........ I got myself a stencil knife with a tiny blade for cleaning up between the toes; it seems to be working OK.

Another thing you can do is, once it is baked, clean up between them with really find sand paper. Cut it into little squares then fold them in half.
yeah this works ive watched people do this with excellent results

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Newt

Still slowly pecking away at this guy. Mostly I've just beefed him up and repaired some damage to toes and tail. I spent quite a bit of time working on skin textures, then erased them.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Fantastic Work! And so small 0:

Newt

Thank you, avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs ! I've been feeling discouraged about how this is going, so it's very good to hear a kind word.

Justin_

Can you post a picture that gives an idea of the actual size? I can't quite work it out, even from the early picture compared to the tools.

Newt

avatar_Justin_ @Justin_ Sure, I'll post something after work. The squares on the graph paper are 1/8 inch (~3 mm) if that helps. The whole thing should be about 90 mm tail to tip.

Dusty Wren

Hey, try not to feel discouraged--this little guy is looking awesome. I know how it feels to spend a lot of time on some detail in an art piece only to end up undoing it all, but that's just how the artistic process goes sometimes. It's as much figuring out what doesn't work as what does.

Anyway, love how much detail you're getting into such a small sculpt. His toes and teeth look especially nice!
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

I definitely feel that. I've drawn a complete set of scales on a fish, hated how it looked, and erased them all to start over. Sometimes more than once. I thought the squares were 1/4 inch, so I assumed roughly double the scale. That makes this, I think, doubly impressive!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Reuben03

AWWW i feel like i'd flip over a log and find it half asleep all dazed in the mud ;D

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Stegotyranno420

Its been great looking at the progress. Yeah, the tails and legs are sometimes annoying, they always break. I wonder whats the next project
Great work my friend

Newt

Newt

Limnoscelis is still in stasis. In the meantime, here are some oil paintings of Early Permian scenes:

Geraldine

Based on the Geraldine Bonebed, Nocona Formation, Texas, USA. Sphenophyllum oblongifolium, Edaphosaurus boanerges, Zatrachys serratus, Archeria crassidisca.

Perry

Based on various sites in the Wellington Formation near Perry, Oklahoma, USA. Dictybolos tener, Platysomus striatus, Diplocaulus magnicornis, Trimerorhachis insignis, Gnathorhiza serrata, Gigantopteridium americanum, unspecified conifer trunk.

Stegotyranno420

Phenomenal work my friend

Newt

Thanks avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420! Hopefully I will have another piece done in a few days. 

Halichoeres

Wonderful! Obviously I am partial to Perry, I love underwater scenes. But they both turned out great, like something Burian might have painted if he were alive today.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I absolutely adore that Edaphosaurus.

Libraraptor

Gorgeous pictures, Newt!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: