News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeU

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 01, 2021, 12:58:17 PM
Now this is a surprise. If Andrea is based on Sue, they should have just called her Sue. Personally, I'd prefer her to have the same style of scalation as Wilson, otherwise it might look off if they're displayed together.
Just looking at the scalation at the back of the neck.
Looks like they fixed the large scale textures on Wilson.
Andrea will look more consistent with the other recent Theropods releases.
At least for me, that is good news.
Gonna just skip Wilson and just pick her up.

Flaffy

Gosh darn it, I kinda regret getting Winter Wilson now since Andrea seems to have fixed Wilson's corn-cob scales. I wonder if Andrea will be different enough from Wilson to justify another purchase however. And given the BotM version(s) coming out in the near future, competition is most definitely tough. Still would've much preferred a different genus like the long awaited and requested Zhuchengtyrannus.

Weird how they decide to open pre-orders, whilst not showing the figure in it's entirety. Hopefully they won't drag this out too long and show Andrea in all her glory asap.

Over9K

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 01, 2021, 10:26:55 AM
and I'm saying PNSO are making animal figures and Namnu are making unlicensed movie monsters so they don't compare in any sense. PNSO doing it because museums have male and female animal mounts whereas Namnu doing it to sell characters.

I know what you meant, I GOT your point, and you missed my point... twice.

Moving on...

Over9K

Quote from: suspsy on July 01, 2021, 12:00:36 PM
I fail to see how PNSO is copying anything Nanmu does. The latter most assuredly did not pioneer the concept of male and female versions of the same genus.

God, you people can't even take a joke.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 01, 2021, 10:36:41 AM

Hmm, I wonder who that gal in the top right is.... ;)

(brightened)
Damn no eyes
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Over9K

(brightened)

Looking at the brightened image, and then at Wilson, this is gonna be a chuh-honky girl, like Rebel Wilson wearing a couple coats.

Dinoxels, I had never noticed that Wilson wasn't the teased Tyrannosaur... but you're right.

SRF

Quote from: Over9K on July 01, 2021, 02:57:28 PM

(brightened)

Looking at the brightened image, and then at Wilson, this is gonna be a chuh-honky girl, like Rebel Wilson wearing a couple coats.

Dinoxels, I had never noticed that Wilson wasn't the teased Tyrannosaur... but you're right.

Well, maybe Wilson was the teased Tyrannosaur and they simply changed the pose, just like they did with the Pachyrhinosaurus and the Borealapelta. I wouldn't value this teaser that is over a year old too much now. Andrea's pose could well be a lot different.
But today, I'm just being father

Stegotyranno420

It looks like "Andrea" is larger or atleast more robust. There really isn't any actual evidence on tyrannosaurus s**ual dimorphism so I will just call the larger one the male in my collection, if I even have the intention of getting it.

avatar_Over9K @Over9K I understand your point on this, and yes many here often see jokes as literal. On another thread I made a joke about how two figures seemed super similar to each other and someone got really annoyed...
avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx once again I do not understand what is so negative about a sitting female and a standing male animal.

Over9K

I notice the little 'holes' in many of the scales in the area covering the maxilla, and I wonder, is this an attempt at showing parasitic damage, the wounds left by ticks/insects feeding on the dinosaur's face?

JohannesB

Quote from: Over9K on July 01, 2021, 04:23:03 PM

I notice the little 'holes' in many of the scales in the area covering the maxilla, and I wonder, is this an attempt at showing parasitic damage, the wounds left by ticks/insects feeding on the dinosaur's face?

Sensory pits, maybe? Would not seem logical, I guess.

SRF

Wilson has these tiny holes as well. Zhao   Chuang explained in his video about Wilson that these scales have holes in them because of the nerves in the snout, so that area of the face is very sensitive.

From about 09:10 minutes:
https://youtu.be/suL4beD0as8
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

I'm going to wait to see the whole thing because the brightened image looks similarly over-textured to Wilson. Even if the scales on the neck appear smaller, Wilson's neck detail was finer than the rest of the body.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Bread on July 01, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
I always like the concept of an animal figure resting or "sitting." It is different and unique, but again is it worth the price? I'll have to see more images but this could be a pass :/
The top right image, of the top section. Not the sitting Tyrannosaur.
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 01, 2021, 02:49:22 PM
Damn no eyes
The paint job isn't likely finished so this is just the sculpt.
Quote from: KeU on July 01, 2021, 01:40:09 PM
Gonna just skip Wilson and just pick her up.
Same.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Duna

She looks as overtextured as Wilson, but at least she does not seem to have those corn-cob scales. Wilson was a pass for me, but let's wait and see. And of course, let's wait for the Rebor version with lips. Very interesting year of tyrannosauruses.

Libraraptor

I request certain members contributing to this thread to prescind from fat shaming and intentional rudeness C:-) Please, everyone, return to dispassion :) ;)

Bread

Also, I'd like to add that since we are getting a second Tyrannosaurus, would this lead to PNSO (hopefully) releasing the Triceratops, or Torosaurus model?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 01, 2021, 04:15:24 PM

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx once again I do not understand what is so negative about a sitting female and a standing male animal.
avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 its because it goes back to the sexist Victorian era human gender stereotypes about the female being subservient as signified by being passive and in a lower pose, whilst the male is depicted in a dominant pose with the female looking up to him. It is casually sexist and continues to reinforce the gender stereotypes.
It's especially silly when they do it to animals which have females dominant over males.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 02, 2021, 12:28:09 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 01, 2021, 04:15:24 PM

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 its because it goes back to the sexist Victorian era human gender stereotypes about the female being subservient as signified by being passive and in a lower pose, whilst the male is depicted in a dominant pose with the female looking up to him. It is casually sexist and continues to reinforce the gender stereotypes.
It's especially silly when they do it to animals which have females dominant over males.

Yeah, pretty much. That used to be pretty common in paintings of lions, tigers, and other wild animals. Also in museum exhibits.

That said, if Andrea is indeed sculpted in a resting pose, I would admittedly like that for the simple reason that it would be something different. I have plenty of striding T. rexes in my collection, but not very many resting ones.

We shall see.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx We had this conversation before in the Nanmu thread
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9208.msg289747#msg289747
And also there is no direct evidence supporting that dinosaurs were female ruled, in fact it's more likely they were male ruled, tho that only comes from Protoceratops (correct me if I'm wrong it will be interesting to learn more)

Anyways I rather see PNSO do Sauropods, or hopefully Permo-Triassic Animals that aren't Synapsids. I rather see a basal Archosauromorph or a Cymbospondylus than another dimetrodon or gorgonops (my apology to fans of the synapsids). If we get super lucky, maybe some amphibians like Prionosuchus or (it will never happen honestly) Konzhukovia.

bone crusher

For a scientific Rex restoration I feel like they should do one in at least 1/20 scale to fully appreciate all the nuances and intricate details. The 1/35 PNSO is making looks so tiny even compared to other company's 1/35, the paint app and sculpt detail are subpar and the the end result just doesn't convey their vision as much as it could. Tho their Spino Essien is one exception, I thought that looked absolutely the best from PNSO line. I hope this Andrea Rex is up to that Essien standard in both size, sculpt detail and paint app.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: