News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilSauria

Much as I am pretty much on board as a PNSO customer these days it does annoy me when smaller sized releases land in about the same price range as the larger ones, so for that reason I will not be seeking out the Nanotyrannus, unless the unlikely circumstance occurs where it is listed at a price more in keeping with its size.

I have passed on a number of their releases for the same reason (the Pachycephalosaurus, Machairoceratops and Pinacosaurus, to name but three).

The price on the Stegosaurus and youngster also frustrates me, as I'd really like that one. So we just add an extra figure, even though one of them could fit in a matchbox, call it a 'set' and charge what we like?

Bread

Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2021, 10:30:38 PM
Quote from: SRF on July 16, 2021, 04:01:25 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 16, 2021, 03:55:21 PM
Yikes that Nano or juvi rex is small, and is the price really $40??? Well, that makes this figure an easy pass. Maybe in time I'll come back to this one as it still is a nice model.

I think it's more like $30, plus whatever you have to pay for shipping (which is for free if you buy it at AliExpress).
$30 for me.
If I wait for this figure to become prime item then yes it is $30 for me, but shipping is $10 currently so it is about $40 for me.

I have actually not been paying attention to Aliexpress prices as Model Toy Center has removed all new PNSO items, plus Online Toy Store prices these figures the same as PNSO.

I have also been avoiding purchases from PNSO, as well as figures in general. PNSO prices have been getting ridiculous lately. Especially with these small figures. If anyone can recommend a store or site that is a little cheaper, buyer friendly, no fake figures, and decent shipping time to the U.S., I'll be happy to buy from it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on July 17, 2021, 01:47:52 AM
Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2021, 10:30:38 PM
Quote from: SRF on July 16, 2021, 04:01:25 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 16, 2021, 03:55:21 PM
Yikes that Nano or juvi rex is small, and is the price really $40??? Well, that makes this figure an easy pass. Maybe in time I'll come back to this one as it still is a nice model.

I think it's more like $30, plus whatever you have to pay for shipping (which is for free if you buy it at AliExpress).
$30 for me.
If I wait for this figure to become prime item then yes it is $30 for me, but shipping is $10 currently so it is about $40 for me.

I have actually not been paying attention to Aliexpress prices as Model Toy Center has removed all new PNSO items, plus Online Toy Store prices these figures the same as PNSO.

I have also been avoiding purchases from PNSO, as well as figures in general. PNSO prices have been getting ridiculous lately. Especially with these small figures. If anyone can recommend a store or site that is a little cheaper, buyer friendly, no fake figures, and decent shipping time to the U.S., I'll be happy to buy from it.

I ordered from Lana, 30.99 plus .59 for shipping
https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/frontpage/products/pnso-nanotyrannus-logan-model

Primeval12

Quote from: Faras on July 16, 2021, 06:34:31 PM
Saw an interesting raptor (poster of these pics said it's about 10cm long) from Qualia Dinosaur Encyclopedia (5 figures, including a lying Triceratops)

More in hand pics without post processing here (decent poses, awful seamlines): https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7438868379

Is this PNSO? Looks cool!

Leyster

Quote from: Primeval12 on July 17, 2021, 03:33:32 AM

Is this PNSO? Looks cool!
As Faras wrote, it's the Qualia.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faras

PNSO "Nanotyrannus"

Length along curves: ~17.3cm

I knew it's going to be small but damn, he's smaller than my expectation! Impressive though how PNSO could make such a tiny figure without losing most of the details - only things missing are inner nasal openings which were replaces by a single depression as jaws are probably too narrow (~4mm from outside, probably only ~2mm between teeth) for two holes. Scales on Logan are less than 0.5mm which are only bigger than Pachy's (about same size as those on minis, smaller than Para/Carcha/Allo/Tarbo's) and doesn't stand out from the figure, guess that's about as small as it can go without getting blurred.

Spoiler

[close]

He has perfect binocular vision, good jaw articulation (could use less seamlines around throat though), decent paint (better than Wilson's imho, well more complex at least, teeth are ok as they are less than 1mm so paint is barely visible in person), but no puppy eyes, just brown eyes with small pupils like other dinos (promotion imgs show eyes with bigger pupils).

Spoiler

[close]

And pic of booklet story for those interested, they made no mentioning of Nano - juvenile T. rex there.
Spoiler
[close]

Ivántirrophus

Thanks for the images avatar_Faras @Faras  ;D.

So, is official that Trex and Nanotyrannus are different species?

Dinoxels

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on July 18, 2021, 03:49:31 PM
Never was, never has been. Though it's likely they were one in the same.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Flaffy

Dunno why, but I'm tempted by that "Nanotyrannus". While the scales are definitely oversized, I feel that these softer, more subtly sculpted scales coveys the effect of scaly skin more successfully than the similarly sized Pachycephalosaurus (which has rather muddled details in some areas), and the much larger Winter Wilson (who's overemphasised corn-cob scales detract from the underlying anatomy).

Regarding the paint, is the dark splotches above the left arm intentional? Or is that a QC issue?

Faras

My pleasure :) They are neither officially different or same, though the most parsimonious hypothesis in recent studies suggest they might be the same species.

Quote from: Flaffy on July 18, 2021, 04:15:37 PM
Dunno why, but I'm tempted by that "Nanotyrannus". While the scales are definitely oversized, I feel that these softer, more subtly sculpted scales coveys the effect of scaly skin more successfully than the similarly sized Pachycephalosaurus (which has rather muddled details in some areas), and the much larger Winter Wilson (who's overemphasised corn-cob scales detract from the underlying anatomy).

Regarding the paint, is the dark splotches above the left arm intentional? Or is that a QC issue?

Agreed, it looks more detailed than Pachy without getting overwhelming, tbh one would probably overlook those scales unless staring at it from within 20-30cm, focused photos do tend to make scales stand out from the figure. Now I hope they'd make some big raptors seeing how good Logan (and feathers on Yutyrannus, Microraptor) is :)

Yup it's intentional as all from Tieba posts and comment sections have them, those on mine do seem darker than most though.

Bread

Thanks for the photos avatar_Faras @Faras!

Dang, that Nano is tiny and too pricey for me but but BUT I really like the photos of it, plus the comparison with Wilson. It looks great next to Wilson and probably even more amazing with the new rex we are getting. Man I am really reconsidering my initial pass on this one.

suspsy

Quote from: Faras on July 18, 2021, 05:02:57 PM

My pleasure :) They are neither officially different or same, though the most parsimonious hypothesis in recent studies suggest they might be the same species.

Actually, they are officially considered to be one and the same. Several recent published studies have confirmed it, including an extensive one by Thomas Carr, who is widely considered the foremost expert on T. rex. Indeed, he came to that conclusion more than 20 years ago now.

https://zenodo.org/record/3371479#.YPRfueSs-Ec

http://tyrannosauroideacentral.blogspot.com/2013/09/nanotyrannus-isnt-real-really.html?m=1

https://peerj.com/articles/9192/?utm_source=BlogPost&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=T-Rex&utm_term=PeerJ&utm_content=Interview

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/1/eaax6250

The only palaeontologist who still argues in favour of Nanotyrannus appears to be Pete Larson, and he's a commercial fossil dealer. It's in his personal interest to advocate for the existence of Nanotyrannus. The other advocates are all amateur fossil hunters as well. And sure, they keep saying that there's this fossil and that one that proves Nanotyrannus is real, but they've been saying that for years now with nary a published study to show for it!

That's why it's such a huge disappointment that PNSO chose to do this. Unlike say, Rebor or Nanmu or W-Dragon, they have built their reputation on a commitment to producing figures based on real science. Many young collectors will be mislead by this toy into believing that there is still some validity to Nanotyrannus.

There really isn't. Logan is "just" an immature T. rex. And a very nice one at that.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faras

avatar_Bread @Bread My pleasure, and yeah he does look good! Hmm maybe wait one or two weeks? Might be able to pass on Logan if new rex is striding, tho if she's lying on her belly, allowing son to rest his head on her back... that could make Logan mandatory ;D

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Referred "Nano" specimens in articles you linked are: CNMH 7541 (Cleveland skull, holotype), BMRP 2002.4.1 (Jane), BMRP 2006.4.4, which indeed account for all museum owned, confirmed Nano specimens. Most parsimonious hypothesis suggest they are juvenile T. rex, but alternative hypothesis that Nanotyrannus is a valid taxon and all specimens are immature has yet to be refuted, so I kinda like to give it benefit of doubt until more studies call "case closed".

All specimens critical to Nano/T. rex are private owned which is hell suspicious, but none of those who checked on them said they were fake. When someone spent millions on fossils, he/she probably wouldn't allow scientists to cut them up for researches, therefore it's up to you what you think about them.

Hey I'm not defending PNSO, Nano or whatever here, just as matter of fact majority in Chinese dinosaur/dino toy communities believe Nano is valid (main points of argument are from Bloody Mari(Dueling Dinosaurs) and Baby Bob) contrary to English communities, so PNSO naming this one Nanotyrannus is no surprise to me esp since price probably has serious impact on global sales of this figure.

suspsy

I'll say it again: there's zero evidence for Nanotyrannus being a valid taxon. The case is closed. Has been for years.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faras

Quote from: suspsy on July 18, 2021, 07:38:10 PM
I'll say it again: there's zero evidence for Nanotyrannus being a valid taxon. The case is closed. Has been for years.

*shrugs* suit yourself :)

SRF

avatar_Faras @Faras funny, that's how I'm imagining Andrea's posture as well. Still 50/50 if she's striding or lying down though.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

avatar_SRF @SRF Yeah too little info atm... been nearly two weeks since new pics, PNSO is seriously mean this time :o On the bright side tho, striding Andrea means some of us would have happier wallets ;)

lrnr21

Quote from: Faras on July 18, 2021, 09:12:24 PM
avatar_SRF @SRF Yeah too little info atm... been nearly two weeks since new pics, PNSO is seriously mean this time :o On the bright side tho, striding Andrea means some of us would have happier wallets ;)
Hoping its really striding.

lrnr21

Aaaaand its in prone position :(

Carnoking

Okay, I'm always excited to see a dinosaur model in a less "traditional" posture but am I the only one who thinks those back legs look a little noodly for want of a better term?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: