News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

No, I love that. I want that.

Mellow Stego

I for one really like the pose. And I'm willing to bet she will look great in different angles. 
I'm also hoping she sells well enough to prove you don't always need aggressive stances in models.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 20, 2021, 11:02:02 PM
Too bad it looks beefier than the male. It will be better if the male was beefier,  but I won't be getting either. Besides, is it just me or tyrannosaurus depictions are getting way too beefy
Honestly I originally thought the same thing too about the "beefness" of Tyrannosaurus. Taking a look at Blue Rhino Studios Tyrannosaurus depictions really changes up my thoughts on Tyrannosaurus bulk (not only that but more artwork and skeletal reconstructions which include the belly ribs). If anything, Wilson could be on the skinnier side of Tyrannosaur depictions. If someone can either support or fix any errors I made with this analysis, please let me know, thank you.

SidB

Since nothing succeeds like success, if more than a few people buy Andrea, this will encourage PNSO, like it did CollectA, presumably, to make more specimens in unconventional poses. This will be fertile ground for some very neat dioramas. One can hope.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Too bad it looks beefier than the male. It will be better if the male was beefier,  but I won't be getting either. Besides, is it just me or tyrannosaurus depictions are getting way too beefy

There isn't anything really making either model Male or Female other than the human names PNSO applied to them, so you could interpret them however you like.

Stegotyranno420

True, but I'd like it if my male was beefier and standing strong, but I guess not every wish is fulfilled. It's okay tho.

SRF

Quote from: Bread on July 21, 2021, 03:50:48 AM
Honestly I originally thought the same thing too about the "beefness" of Tyrannosaurus. Taking a look at Blue Rhino Studios Tyrannosaurus depictions really changes up my thoughts on Tyrannosaurus bulk (not only that but more artwork and skeletal reconstructions which include the belly ribs). If anything, Wilson could be on the skinnier side of Tyrannosaur depictions. If someone can either support or fix any errors I made with this analysis, please let me know, thank you.

Well Wilson is based on AMNH 5027, which is a specimen of the gracile morph. I still think it's a shame PNSO hasn't based Andrea on a specific specimen, but it would only make sense that this time they would base a new T. Rex on a specimen of the robust morph. Since most of the robust specimen have female names like Sue and Trix, it's not that strange to me that PNSO chooses to make their female Rex also more robust.

And in this case, since Andrea is, just like Scotty, a name that can be used for both males and females, it's really up to us what gender we want Andrea to be.
But today, I'm just being father

ITdactyl

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi , were you referring to Shinzen Takeuchi's resting tyrannosaurus, from the 2011 "Growth" series?

ceratopsian

I almost always forget the human names completely, once they've gone onto my record Excel sheet. The exceptions are those where people constantly use them, like "Wilson", and bizarrely the baby Sinoceratops A-Qi sticks in my mind (perhaps because as a Chinese name, it carries no other connotations for me other than "PNSO").   In virtually all other cases, I think of PNSO models only by their scientific names.  Nicknames just don't appeal to me.  And it does avoid the whole male/female relative size issue (for which to the best of my knowledge we have no evidence)

I too think the leg angle is improbable and it's done in such a way that I can't visualise the structure that underpins it - but equally, I'm glad PNSO have risked something new and I'd like them to try again with another dinosaur.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2021, 04:50:13 AM

There isn't anything really making either model Male or Female other than the human names PNSO applied to them, so you could interpret them however you like.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Names don't have an inherent gender, and Andrea is a unisex name anyway, so this rex can be what you want basically. I personally have never known a woman named Andrea but two men with that name, so my brain defaults to male when I hear the name Andrea. IIRC etymologically the name is derived from a male saint in the bible, but I don't want to derail the thread with linguistics here.

As for the pose, I do agree it does look a bit strange, but we shouldn't ignore the inspiration for it that avatar_Faras @Faras  translated for us. I feel like that's getting glossed over in this discussion. Isn't the "lying on its side" pose more common with mammals like dogs? I think for an animal with useless front limbs like T-rex it doesn't make too much sense. Ratites do rest and sleep with their legs in a similar position like Andrea, which allows them to stand up easily (see the ostrich photo in Faras' post). Given the anatomical similarities between birds and theropod dinosaurs, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that pose as unnatural. If anything, the mammal-like lying on the side is what I would assume is less likely for an animal like T-rex. I think the legs are bent in a way that's a bit too extreme in the figure, but I understand the general argument behind the idea.

ceratopsian

I am very happy with the "lying on the belly" pose rather than the "sprawled on one side" - the only thing I'm unhappy about is the detail of how PNSO handled the leg folding.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 21, 2021, 11:37:55 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Names don't have an inherent gender, and Andrea is a unisex name anyway, so this rex can be what you want basically. I personally have never known a woman named Andrea but two men with that name, so my brain defaults to male when I hear the name Andrea. IIRC etymologically the name is derived from a male saint in the bible, but I don't want to derail the thread with linguistics here.

As for the pose, I do agree it does look a bit strange, but we shouldn't ignore the inspiration for it that avatar_Faras @Faras  translated for us. I feel like that's getting glossed over in this discussion. Isn't the "lying on its side" pose more common with mammals like dogs? I think for an animal with useless front limbs like T-rex it doesn't make too much sense. Ratites do rest and sleep with their legs in a similar position like Andrea, which allows them to stand up easily (see the ostrich photo in Faras' post). Given the anatomical similarities between birds and theropod dinosaurs, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that pose as unnatural. If anything, the mammal-like lying on the side is what I would assume is less likely for an animal like T-rex. I think the legs are bent in a way that's a bit too extreme in the figure, but I understand the general argument behind the idea.

The Zoo Boy

I'm quite a fan of the sitting pose for Andrea. Definitely will be picking up both her and Logan to join Wilson so I have a complete T-rex family!

Gwangi

Quote from: ITdactyl on July 21, 2021, 06:36:52 AM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi , were you referring to Shinzen Takeuchi's resting tyrannosaurus, from the 2011 "Growth" series?

Yes! That's the one. Thank you avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl.

Stegotyranno420

You know, the situation of Andrea being more common as a male name(I knew it applied to both , but I always thought it was mainly female in northern countries in "Western" civilization), I guess now it's okay to say they may actually be brothers. I always liked the idea of tyrannosaurs living in extended tribes(not organized packs), it made them feel much more realistic and forgiving rather than blood thirsty cannibals.

Bread

Am I the only one who wishes face biting was apparent on Andrea? This rex is more robust than Wilson, plus could be depicted as being older than Wilson.

Flaffy

Quote from: The Zoo Boy on July 21, 2021, 12:45:34 PM
Definitely will be picking up both her and Logan to join Wilson so I have a complete T-rex family!

Unfortunately PNSO thinks otherwise... No Logan to be seen in the family :'(. But collectors can always have Logan represent an immature specimen in their own collection, regardless of whichever outdated narrative PNSO decides to go with.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on July 21, 2021, 02:18:13 PM
Quote from: The Zoo Boy on July 21, 2021, 12:45:34 PM
Definitely will be picking up both her and Logan to join Wilson so I have a complete T-rex family!

Unfortunately PNSO thinks otherwise... No Logan to be seen in the family :'(. But collectors can always have Logan represent an immature specimen in their own collection, regardless of whichever outdated narrative PNSO decides to go with.

I think most of us here refer to Logan as a juvi rex rather than a Nanotyrannus anyways. Is it even possible to acquire Aaron anymore?

Dinoguy2

Modern studies and skeletals are showing that past reconstructions are too skinny. They're not "beefy" - this isn't even really a soft tissue thing. The torso of most old style reconstructions are simply far too narrow to accommodate the gastralia and very low pubic boot. Add extra soft tissue on top of that so it's not shrink wrapped, and you have a very "bulky" looking tyrannosaur. But that's more accurate. Safari's feathered one might have been the first to actually get the body shape right.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SRF

First review of Logan:
https://youtu.be/ycEDvwJeFBA

I still like this figure, but seeing how small it is, I'm happy I've cancelled my purchase. Almost 30 euros is way too much for such a small figure, especially if you compare it to the Pachycephalosaurus which actually seems to be a bit bigger, for which I've paid around 18 euros. And that was already about as much as I think it's worth.
But today, I'm just being father

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: SRF on July 21, 2021, 02:54:50 PM
First review of Logan:
Spoiler

I still like this figure, but seeing how small it is, I'm happy I've cancelled my purchase. Almost 30 euros is way too much for such a small figure, especially if you compare it to the Pachycephalosaurus which actually seems to be a bit bigger, for which I've paid around 18 euros. And that was already about as much as I think it's worth.
From the video:

Awww, they look so good together. I agree about the price, though, it's way too high. Also, yikes at the comparison with Aaron, that is one of the very few PNSO models I find genuinely ugly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: