News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Faras on July 19, 2021, 03:42:28 PM
avatar_SRF @SRF Sadly not, no rumour either atm, she's 12.5m - many specimens are around this size, and her head in pic does look similar to Wilson's  :o

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy My pleasure :) Thanks for posting it here!

It says "what you see here is what you'll get" on the bottom (though these do often look slightly different from actual figures, e.g. weird teeth in Yutyrannus pics). imho looks promising apart from worse teeth than promotion imgs, and probably falling off those stands when you sneeze...

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs Those small bases are actually two theropods stands :o Initial release of Kronosaurus came without any stand. Unsurprisingly they got loads of complains and decided to make amend about two weeks later - too late to open new product line and Krono is too small to use vinyl figures stands. Well good they listened to feedbacks at least ;)

Yeah PNSO has been releasing some new figures (Carcharodontosaurus, sci-art posters, Yutyrannus, Kronosaurus, T. rex and Sinoceratops bookstands so far) as crowdfunding projects about two months before official releases. Judging from previous projects, PNSO would put Krono on Amazon as soon as they start to send out crowdfunding rewards (official releases in China/AliExpress about a week later). Shouldn've explained crowdfunding thing in earlier post, sorry about causing confusions :)

Well the only specimen that is said to be 12.5 meters as far as I know of, is "our own" Trix which resides here in the Netherlands. Trix is displayed in a more unique pose since it's the only T. Rex mount that has the real skull because it's held so close to the ground. Not that I'm saying that Andrea is or should be based on Trix though, but it is fun to make the comparison. :) 
But today, I'm just being father

sauroid

avatar_SRF @SRF youre in the Netherlands. i hope youre well.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SRF

Quote from: sauroid on July 19, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
avatar_SRF @SRF youre in the Netherlands. i hope youre well.

I am, thank you avatar_sauroid @sauroid. A lot of weird and crazy things going on around here at the moment. Luckily none of these have hit me personally.
But today, I'm just being father

HappyHen

Quote from: Faelrin on July 19, 2021, 02:36:43 PM
avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Happy Hen Toys is another option that still has the PNSO minis individually.

https://www.happyhentoys.com/pnso-online-store-mini-dinosaur-museum.html

Although prices seem to have jumped up on some of them (I think). Shockingly the Nemicolopterus is going for $24.99!

avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen Hey if you are still around, is there a reason for this? Am I correct in remembering that one and some of the others were cheaper recently? Is it related to PNSO increasing costs as of late?

From Happy Hen Toys:
Happy Hen Toys is still carrying PNSO and we are projected to get the new 2021 releases in August, 2021. Of course nothing is certain with international shipping at this time.  International shipping to the USA is still well over the normal rates which unfortunately is impacting PNSO pricing.

Concerning your specific question on pricing of the mini-PNSO figures.  PNSO does not supply these to us as individual SKUs / items numbers.  So when we sell a mini figure, effectively we need to bust open (aka "ruin") one of the 48 figure sets and remove the one purchased figure.  Unfortunately, demand for each of the 48 figures is not equal for each figure.  Thus as figures sell, we need to raise the price on the popular figures (to reduce demand for those figures so we don't end up with a bunch of 47 figure sets) BUT WE LOWER THE PRICES ON OTHER FIGURES TO TRY TO SPUR DEMAND for these figures.  The goal is to earn a fair margin across the entire box.  If we end up having to sell 30 of the figures at (or likely eventually below cost) we must make up the margin on the few popular figures to (hopefully) even everything out.

Thus you may have noticed that while the price of some of these figures have gone up, the prices on the majority of the PNSO mini figures have actually GONE DOWN!!  It is simply a supply and demand issue (per figure) driven by the fact that PNSO will not supply these as individual SKUs.  It's an unfortunate situation, we don't like it, but demand / supply pricing is the only way we are able to offer the individual option.

Sign up for our mailing list here https://www.happyhentoys.com/contact.html to be notified when we get the 2021 PNSO (and other new dinosaur releases) and to be notified of sales.

Faras

Andrea store page... Making translation beautiful is beyond me, so I'll only try to make it faithful  :))

Edit: oops forgot link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.4.86267484G7iqwu&id=651550527765

PNSO dinosaur museum, Andrea the T. rex, 1:35 sci-art model
2021 female T. rex
Dedicated to: Andrea the T. rex and all that strive to defend dignity of life. We are not alone
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

How did Zhao Chuang and Yang Yang create Andrea the T. rex?

Who is Andrea the T. rex?
Andrea is a female T. rex and a true ruler of forest. As wife of Wilson the T. rex, she bears the great responsibility of reproduction, and contributes herself to the continuation of population. She is wise, tolerant, and respected by all.

*Model design: sci-artist Zhao Chuang
*Andrea the T. rex - material: eco PVC, hand painted, model size: 19.7cm x 13.8cm x 7cm (36cm along curves)
Spoiler
[close]

Size of Andrea the T. rex: Andrea the T. rex is a very strong female T. rex. We made her 12.5m long with robust chest and abdomen that look round as a ball.

*Andrea the T. rex from vertical view (seems her left leg folds differently?)
*Chest
Spoiler
[close]

Head of Andrea the T. rex: currently scientists cannot distinguish male and female T. rex based on skeletal structures, so we referred to sexual dimorphism in extant animals - for example, Andrea the T. rex has duller coloured keratin on the head compared to male T. rex.

*Articulated jaw
(Now this is perfect side view of the head, seems they changed how head pieces connect to the body and made some adjustments for jaw articulation)
Spoiler
[close]
Beheaded Wilson from Tieba ;)
Spoiler
[close]

Andrea the T. rex's prone position: we designed unique prone position for Andrea the T. rex: Andrea is leisurely enjoying her time while lying on her stomach - this is her everyday life. Andrea could always earn a stable life with her strength as supreme ruler of the forest.

Prone position of Andrea the T. rex is special: she could lie down from sitting pose like an ostrich instead of lying on side. This means she could get up quickly without help from her tiny forelimbs and act swiftly in face of danger.

*How T. rex gets up
Spoiler
[close]

Came across this ostrich pic on Tieba, though Andrea's right leg still looks a bit awkward in comparison
Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: SRF on July 19, 2021, 03:54:11 PM
Well the only specimen that is said to be 12.5 meters as far as I know of, is "our own" Trix which resides here in the Netherlands. Trix is displayed in a more unique pose since it's the only T. Rex mount that has the real skull because it's held so close to the ground. Not that I'm saying that Andrea is or should be based on Trix though, but it is fun to make the comparison. :) 

Aha yeah they repeatedly mentioned "robust" so the bulk at least might be based off Trix indeed! Shame they didn't make her distinct by giving her proper Trix snot  :-\

Dinoxels

In America on Amazon if you wait a certain amount of time (a few months usually) random PNSO figures will qualify for quick shipping. So if any of you are patient you might want to wait that way.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

sauroid

Faras thanks for all the effort to translate these great infos.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Faras @Faras Thank you very much for the translation! It's interesting to read about the thought process and inspiration behind the pose. I just looked at some lying down/sitting ostrich and cassowary photos, and indeed the leg position looks very similar, just like the image you posted. It makes sense that this position would make standing up easier than lying on the side, even though that would make for a more aesthetically pleasing pose for a figure.

If you google "ostrich sleeping", it looks basically like the bottom image here:
Quote from: Faras on July 19, 2021, 06:09:52 PM
*How T. rex gets up
Spoiler
[close]
Never seen that before, looks funny :))

Faras

My pleasure :) Translating these info helps me get a deeper understanding, as otherwise I tend to read too quickly and somehow completely miss out on crucial points eg "like a ostrich", tsk tsk  :-[

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Teehee the top one looks like T. rex in high heels ;D Yup this position offers both fast reaction and belly protection (indeed birds might be the best reference, though given that most dinosaurs could probably lie on belly, now I do wonder whether their thighs could turn that much to allow less folding at ankles). Guess they picked it cause it's also much easier to make? Lying on side would involve complex adjustments in musculature and skeletal structure which could drive up the cost. But yeah that would look much nicer when done right :O

Spoiler

Yongchuanosaurus by Dinone Studio: http://c.tieba.baidu.com/p/4998830615

[close]

Faelrin

Quote from: HappyHen on July 19, 2021, 06:08:03 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on July 19, 2021, 02:36:43 PM
avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Happy Hen Toys is another option that still has the PNSO minis individually.

https://www.happyhentoys.com/pnso-online-store-mini-dinosaur-museum.html

Although prices seem to have jumped up on some of them (I think). Shockingly the Nemicolopterus is going for $24.99!

avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen Hey if you are still around, is there a reason for this? Am I correct in remembering that one and some of the others were cheaper recently? Is it related to PNSO increasing costs as of late?

From Happy Hen Toys:
Happy Hen Toys is still carrying PNSO and we are projected to get the new 2021 releases in August, 2021. Of course nothing is certain with international shipping at this time.  International shipping to the USA is still well over the normal rates which unfortunately is impacting PNSO pricing.

Concerning your specific question on pricing of the mini-PNSO figures.  PNSO does not supply these to us as individual SKUs / items numbers.  So when we sell a mini figure, effectively we need to bust open (aka "ruin") one of the 48 figure sets and remove the one purchased figure.  Unfortunately, demand for each of the 48 figures is not equal for each figure.  Thus as figures sell, we need to raise the price on the popular figures (to reduce demand for those figures so we don't end up with a bunch of 47 figure sets) BUT WE LOWER THE PRICES ON OTHER FIGURES TO TRY TO SPUR DEMAND for these figures.  The goal is to earn a fair margin across the entire box.  If we end up having to sell 30 of the figures at (or likely eventually below cost) we must make up the margin on the few popular figures to (hopefully) even everything out.

Thus you may have noticed that while the price of some of these figures have gone up, the prices on the majority of the PNSO mini figures have actually GONE DOWN!!  It is simply a supply and demand issue (per figure) driven by the fact that PNSO will not supply these as individual SKUs.  It's an unfortunate situation, we don't like it, but demand / supply pricing is the only way we are able to offer the individual option.

Sign up for our mailing list here https://www.happyhentoys.com/contact.html to be notified when we get the 2021 PNSO (and other new dinosaur releases) and to be notified of sales.

Thanks for chiming in and providing that information. That's most unfortunate that it has to be done that way (because I imagine that could hurt you financially), so it absolutely makes sense to raise and lower costs (supply and demand) to balance out the costs of doing such, and now that you mention it, I do see there is a drop for some of those. Sorry for not catching wind of it earlier. My eyes have mostly been on the Tianyulong and Nemicolopterus, the only two must haves for me I didn't get from my Aliexpress order back in May I think it was. In any case many thanks for going through the trouble of doing this to provide your customers with choice, since PNSO is no longer doing this on their end (and a shame too). Just hope it doesn't hurt you too much, but I guess if it were, it would make sense to discontinue doing so. Hopefully once I'm doing better financially I can get to ordering those, etc, but just don't know when that will be yet.

Also thanks for the information about the impacted shipping rates. I guess that would explain the hike in prices then. I did some more research on the subject matter as well (lack of cargo ships, etc). Really unfortunate about this whole situation, since it is impacting far more then just this little prehistoric collecting hobby, but not much to be done about it, other then to continue being patient.

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs I probably should have checked that first. Real sorry about that.

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor See above, plus it seems you were right on the money about demand of it. I suppose this is a good way to gauge the current popularity of some of these at least (if not through like the DTC site I guess).

avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks for providing the translation. Even if I don't agree with all of their design decisions, I appreciate being able to read what those are at all, thanks to you.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

croco_105

Quote from: Flaffy on July 19, 2021, 07:28:35 AM

On the other hand... that leg looks really off. The heels are folded to an unnatural degree, and looks very uncomfortable for the animal. Here's Stan for example, with to my knowledge the maximum degree of heel folding:

Notice how the leg does not completely fold to the point where the tibia & fibula are parallel to the metatarsals. The ankle looks snapped on the figure. I would've personally preferred if Andrea was sitting in a sideways position; not only would this be far more natural, it would also be an entirely unique pose in non-resin dinosaur figures.

Flaffy makes some excellent points, I agree with all this.  The folded leg just looks odd and unnatural, first thing that came to mind is a folded sausage.  This is because both the sausage and this Trex leg look blobby with no real definition of bone, muscle or any form of anatomy.  This is especially evident where the tibia and metatarsals join, looks broken when squished down that far.  Really like the head sculpt though.

ITdactyl

Who knew PNSO would be the company to produce a realistic depiction of "Bekon"*, the old Tyrannosaurus who could no longer stand and waited for his pack-mates to bring him food.
*from the anime "You are Umasou"

Also, thank you for that image avatar_croco_105 @croco_105 . I can no longer unsee the sausage ankles... image stuck... brain stahp... ;D

Duna

I agree with you, avatar_croco_105 @croco_105 In my case what came first to my mind when I looked at the lower part of the leg was a piece of "chorizo" or "butifarra". If only they had put the femur almost horizontal, because that's the normal position as it also shows Stan's recreation, they would have had enough space to put the rest of the leg in a normal position and not so compressed. But I advise you that critizising Wilson is not well seen in this post as it has been stated, so let's say only positive things about Andrea:
- It's wonderful to see a dinosaur in not a walking position.
- It's nice to see a family depicted (as Papo did with their tyrannosauruses).
- It's nice to see an improvement in the scales of the head.
- It's nice to see such a beefy tyrannosaurus.  :)

stargatedalek

Sad to see they've gone for the "sitting/resting female, with baby and aggressive male" thing, which is... a little not great. And so we see the downside to naming and characterizing figures as PNSO does. If these were just "sitting rex" and "standing rex" it wouldn't even be a thing.

The ankle is completely dislocated as others have said, and is the tail looking off to anyone else? At first I thought it was too short, but that seems to be the angle, which then begs the question is it bent too far horizontally?

Stegotyranno420

Too bad it looks beefier than the male. It will be better if the male was beefier,  but I won't be getting either. Besides, is it just me or tyrannosaurus depictions are getting way too beefy

Gwangi

There are many positive attributes about Andrea but not enough to warrant my interest. The pose looks unnatural and uncomfortable, and I agree that the legs look too bendy and boneless. I can't for the life of me remember who sculpted it but I recall another company (Japanese?) that did a T. rex life cycle/family set with a sitting, aged T. rex that looked much more convincing. Can someone help me out with this?

Something like this would have been preferable.

suspsy

People are correct to point out the anatomical flaws in Andrea's legs. That said, I still want her because she's a welcome touch of variety from all the stalking T. rex toys, and because strong sales might encourage PNSO to make more resting dinosaurs in the future.

Hopefully better researched ones.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Since I'm getting her myself, and for the same reason, that's my hope too. It won't be the first time that I make a purchase of the 'imperfect', simply because it's the best available. Come to think of it, that sums up much of the acquisitions, relationships and paths of life itself. As a remarkable Russian admiral was once reputed to have said, "Comrade, excellent is the enemy of good enough," particularly when the former is unavailable and the latter is!

suspsy

I'd be all over a Torosaurus in a pose like this.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Skorpio V.

Quote from: sauroid on July 19, 2021, 02:55:54 PM
it would have looked more appropriate if the legs were splayed, more bird-like.

Hm.

Spoiler
OKAY OKAY I KNOW THIS ISNT WHAT YOU MEANT BUT IT MADE ME REMEMBER PIGEONS AND THEN MY ART BLOCK SUDDENLY FADED AND POOF THAT COMES OUT

[close]
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: