News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

Yeah, I like the sculpting on Logan a lot, but it's at $31 on Amazon right now so it's a no for me. There are too many good figures coming out this year to drop that much money on such a small figure.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Quote from: Dusty Wren on July 21, 2021, 03:41:55 PM
Yeah, I like the sculpting on Logan a lot, but it's at $31 on Amazon right now so it's a no for me. There are too many good figures coming out this year to drop that much money on such a small figure.
Exactly. Plus PNSO are still continuing to pump out releases and who knows, they could even release an actual juvenile Tyrannosaurus (I doubt it though but again you never know).

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SRF on July 21, 2021, 02:54:50 PM
First review of Logan:
https://youtu.be/ycEDvwJeFBA

I still like this figure, but seeing how small it is, I'm happy I've cancelled my purchase. Almost 30 euros is way too much for such a small figure, especially if you compare it to the Pachycephalosaurus which actually seems to be a bit bigger, for which I've paid around 18 euros. And that was already about as much as I think it's worth.
LOL
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I had never heard of Andrea being a male name until last year. It was always an elderly woman's name here. When I first heard of Andrea Cau I thought it was a woman at first.

I do wish they hadn't done the stereotype thing though. But at least there is finally a Tyrannosaurus in a believable pose (aside from the legs)
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faras

Hmm inspired by Tieba, I thinking maybe Andrea ended up with awful sausage leg cause: 1. in pics knee look as if it was straight above the foot, but in reality it's pointing outward; 2. bigger muscles overriding parts with less muscles; 3. extra thick cartilage and muscle compared to birds.

Drew parts of legs as unflatten and uncovered, and increased muscle bulk on ostrich for comparison:

tbh wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another example of PNSO's notorious photography, guess we'll have to wait for actual model  :o

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 21, 2021, 06:13:56 PM
I had never heard of Andrea being a male name until last year. It was always an elderly woman's name here. When I first heard of Andrea Cau I thought it was a woman at first.

I do wish they hadn't done the stereotype thing though. But at least there is finally a Tyrannosaurus in a believable pose (aside from the legs)
People are saying it's the same name, but it isn't, it's a different name with the same spelling. "An-(as in "and")-dri-ah" versus "ahn-(as in "awning")-drey".

Given PNSO uses names from the region the fossils are from I think it's fair to say it's pretty decided they meant the North American "An-dri-ah" and not the European "Ahn-drey".

This sort of thing is more common than you might think, not just due to regional variations over time but due to coincidental overlap when names are romanized or modernized from older European. My name for example is consider feminine in Japanese, but when romanized it's unisex leaning masculine in French, and feminine again in English.

Faelrin

Quote from: suspsy on July 21, 2021, 12:40:19 AM
People are correct to point out the anatomical flaws in Andrea's legs. That said, I still want her because she's a welcome touch of variety from all the stalking T. rex toys, and because strong sales might encourage PNSO to make more resting dinosaurs in the future.

Hopefully better researched ones.

Yeah gripes aside, if I could afford it, I would jump on it for that reason (aside from the fact there is the upcoming BotM ones that will likely allow the same, and also have lips, etc). It's a welcome breath of fresh air in the dinosaur market, and particularly for Tyrannosaurus of all things. I also would welcome a resting ceratopsian, such as that Torosaurus you used as an example.

On the other hand I get what avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek 's concerns are (made worse after reading translation avatar_Faras @Faras provided, regarding the reproductive thing in particular), but I suppose a lot of that is due to a cultural issue there unfortunately (as seems to be the case with them using Nanotyrannus still as well), and I suppose buying it would also support that antiquated worldview (though would that not extend to their other figures as well?), but at the same time buying it would support that sitting dinosaurs sell. A real catch 20-20.

Though as other folks have been saying, the assigned gender the figure has can be ignored, and the name as well, and since there's no dimorphism going on here, folks are free to treat these figures as they desire in their collections. Honestly it's all there for marketability anyways, like what Rebor or Nanmu does.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I kind have the same mindset as you do. Very rarely will I come up with a nickname for these animals, or use a brand's established one. I usually just use the scientific name (and usually just the genera much of the time).

Also come to think of it, other then this T. rex here, and the mini Mei, did they do any other resting animals? Nothing is coming to mind atm.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faras

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin hmm maybe baby T.rex and Sinoceratops? Those are sitting  :)

SidB

avatar_Faras @Faras , thanks for your insight; hopefully your speculative interpretation of the photo proves correct. It provides a ray and maybe more than a ray of hope.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on July 21, 2021, 04:46:46 PM
Exactly. Plus PNSO are still continuing to pump out releases and who knows, they could even release an actual juvenile Tyrannosaurus (I doubt it though but again you never know).
On the other hand, I ordered Logan (as a juvenile T-rex) BECAUSE it is small (group diorama purposes), and was willing to pay this amount since it is highly detailed. A different perspective, I suppose, that changes its value for me.

Georassic

Quote from: SidB on July 21, 2021, 07:33:58 PM
On the other hand, I ordered Logan (as a juvenile T-rex) BECAUSE it is small (group diorama purposes), and was willing to pay this amount since it is highly detailed. A different perspective, I suppose, that changes its value for me.

I'll be ordering Logan for the same reasons...

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Georassic on July 21, 2021, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 21, 2021, 07:33:58 PM

I'll be ordering Logan for the same reasons...
Yall are letting them continue upping the prices by still buying their merchandise
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

Quote from: Faras on July 21, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin hmm maybe baby T.rex and Sinoceratops? Those are sitting  :)
Right I forgot about those (despite seeing them mentioned as I wrote that. Didn't even occur to me). Thanks for mentioning them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 21, 2021, 07:00:33 PM

People are saying it's the same name, but it isn't, it's a different name with the same spelling. "An-(as in "and")-dri-ah" versus "ahn-(as in "awning")-drey".

Given PNSO uses names from the region the fossils are from I think it's fair to say it's pretty decided they meant the North American "An-dri-ah" and not the European "Ahn-drey".

This sort of thing is more common than you might think, not just due to regional variations over time but due to coincidental overlap when names are romanized or modernized from older European. My name for example is consider feminine in Japanese, but when romanized it's unisex leaning masculine in French, and feminine again in English.
"European" isn't a language and there's no language where Andrea is pronounced as "Ahn-drey". I think you're confusing it with Andrei/Andrej, which is a slavic/Russian masculine name that goes back to the same word stem. "Andrea" is a textbook unisex name because its usage differs between different languages, e.g. it's masculine in Romanian and Italian (you may have heard of Italian singer Andrea Bocelli), and feminine in English and German. Different usages or pronunciations don't make different words, it's still the same name with the same etymological origins. Andrea comes from the Greek ανδρεια, which funnily enough translates to something like "courageous" or "virile". So I think anyone who wants to see Andrea as Wilson's manly brother can do so without any problems. :) PNSO basically chose the most gender-ambiguous and least American/regional name they could have lol.

Edit: I'm sorry if this was a derail. Languages and linguistics are a passion of mine, so I couldn't help myself. ^-^

Faras

Quote from: SidB on July 21, 2021, 07:29:21 PM
avatar_Faras @Faras , thanks for your insight; hopefully your speculative interpretation of the photo proves correct. It provides a ray and maybe more than a ray of hope.

My pleasure :) tbh company that've done excellent structures shouldn't make such an obvious anatomic error :o

Quote from: Faelrin on July 21, 2021, 08:27:25 PM
Right I forgot about those (despite seeing them mentioned as I wrote that. Didn't even occur to me). Thanks for mentioning them.

yw :) hmm sorry seems I forgot mini Spinosaurus and Indosuchus, they are also sitting :)

*scratches head* probably not the right thread, though since this is the only one I'm watching... ;)

Received Deinonychus and Triceratops of Qualia Dinosaur Encyclopedia (set of 5 figures) today, came out better than expected and made me somewhat regret not getting the full set (especially the Carnotaurus)... Sorry about awful pics with artificial lights, figures do look better than pics.

Spoiler

Deinonychus came in three pieces, a transparent rod (can be removed, though legs are very soft so probably won't last long), Triceratops came in two pieces. Bases are solid (2mm thick) despite the cheap look.

Deinonychus: length along curves - 13cm, 1:25. Pros: this little fella looks gracious from all angles, natural and beautiful pose (what I really like about this set), good details (not PNSO level ofc), decent paint for the price. Cons: it's imo nearly too skinny to be a Deinonychus, and feathers end too abruptly at wrist (could make them smaller gradually; full wings probably wouldn't fit in with conventional wrist angles and lack of long feathers on tail).

Triceratops: length along curves - 11cm, 1:72. Pros: resting non-JP Triceratops (nailed it for me), good details (bit surprised to see scales on 80-90% of the skin), ok-ish paint. Cons: too skinny again, especially at ankles; visible seamlines on right limbs from vertical view (can't see them from sides luckily)

[close]

stargatedalek

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 21, 2021, 09:06:27 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 21, 2021, 07:00:33 PM

"European" isn't a language and there's no language where Andrea is pronounced as "Ahn-drey". I think you're confusing it with Andrei/Andrej, which is a slavic/Russian masculine name that goes back to the same word stem. "Andrea" is a textbook unisex name because its usage differs between different languages, e.g. it's masculine in Romanian and Italian (you may have heard of Italian singer Andrea Bocelli), and feminine in English and German. Different usages or pronunciations don't make different words, it's still the same name with the same etymological origins. Andrea comes from the Greek ανδρεια, which funnily enough translates to something like "courageous" or "virile". So I think anyone who wants to see Andrea as Wilson's manly brother can do so without any problems. :) PNSO basically chose the most gender-ambiguous and least American/regional name they could have lol.

Edit: I'm sorry if this was a derail. Languages and linguistics are a passion of mine, so I couldn't help myself. ^-^
That makes sense. And that's also why I said European, because I thought it was northern European in general, broadly slavic so I guess I wasn't too far off there.

I would argue different usages and pronunciations is exactly what defines something as a new word, regardless of shared origins. We wouldn't say Michael and Michelle are the same name, but they are similarly divergent. How is Andrea pronounced currently when used as a masculine name in Italian or Romanian?

And even besides all of this, Tyrannosaurus is from North America, so PNSO clearly chose this name from the perspective of it being an Americans name.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 21, 2021, 09:06:27 PM

Hey languages is a trait of me too, my friend. I guess we got plenty in common.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek In German it's pronounced like in English, just with the "e" pronounced as an actual long "e". If you know the IPA, it's basically the /ɛ/ sound in English (e.g. in pet), pronounced as a long vowel. I believe the ɛ is slightly shorter in Italian. I don't know anything about Romanian pronunciation, sorry.

Michael and Michelle are two different forms going back to the same stem, that's a different thing. "Andrea" is just one form with one spelling. Variations exist, though, like Andreas or Andrei.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 That's great to hear. Yeah, languages can be fascinating.

avatar_Faras @Faras I really like the Deinonychus.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faras on July 21, 2021, 06:15:33 PM
Hmm inspired by Tieba, I thinking maybe Andrea ended up with awful sausage leg cause: 1. in pics knee look as if it was straight above the foot, but in reality it's pointing outward; 2. bigger muscles overriding parts with less muscles; 3. extra thick cartilage and muscle compared to birds.

Drew parts of legs as unflatten and uncovered, and increased muscle bulk on ostrich for comparison:

*snip*

tbh wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another example of PNSO's notorious photography, guess we'll have to wait for actual model  :o

One issue I find with comparing Tyrannosaurus to an Ostrich is size.
Ostriches are at most ~145 kg, while Tyrannosaurus can get to 8+ tons. I believe the huge difference in mass (along with body size and the presence of a muscular tail) means that Tyrannosaurus may very well have rested in a different manner compared to the gracile Ostrich.

Creature

I think Logan and Wilson look nice together! Though since the "family" is meant to be Wilson, Andrea, and Aaron, I'm hoping that means they'll rerelease Aaron in scale with his parents. I love the one I have, and he hangs out with me on my desk at the office, but I'd love a smaller one that could cuddle with Andrea or something.

avatar_Bread @Bread  yes, Aaron can still be purchased from PNSO on Amazon.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: