News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Ouch....
Yeah, I have to admit that those seams don't blend in as well as on the Tylosaurus.
Still love this figure and definitely going on my list.

Carnoking

Oof, those are some of the worst yet...

JohannesB

I guess it is because the figures are hollow, and there is a relatively big difference between the relatively thin plastic parts of each separate cast (which you would not have with a more solid design). I am just hypothesizing. But maybe the figure is more solid than I think it is, and the seams are much more apparent because of the completely smooth surface like this. Anyway, for me this is a clear pass.

Gwangi

Those seams really cheapen the figure, making it look like a cheap bath toy for kids. I certainly don't know when or if CollectA will make a Livyatan but if they do I can practically guarantee it won't have those seams and will cost half as much (or less). CollectA has proven themselves well with marine animals, both extinct and extant, especially with this years basking shark. The question I have to ask myself is, how long am I willing to wait for another company to make a Livyatan?

Psittacoraptor

It doesn't look that bad if you're looking at the whole figure: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7566883900

Still unfortunate, though.

Here's a video where Zhao Chuang talks about the design process behind the figure:

https://youtu.be/XuWmFjMMtx0

Psittacoraptor

Since there was some interest in this: the Ankylosaurus I received from the official PNSO Aliexpress store is the dreadful second version. I only paid 13,50€ for it (sale + coupon) and I still feel ripped off. It's a real shame because the sculpt is wonderful. The Borealopelta is nicer than I expected at least.

Edit: Apparently, it's version 3. My expectations were too high it seems. :))

Bread

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor based on your photo, your Ankylosaurus actually looks a lot better than mine. The one I have has this heavy light grey wash to it and yours seems to only have a little but still its a shame this figure has received bad paint applications following the second batch.

Faras

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor hmm that seems like third version actually, can you easily see the yellow and brown patterns? The back of second version is so muddy that colours are barely visible.

Psittacoraptor

I think the shadows and the contrast from my camera make it look better than it is. The brown and yellow patterns are visible, and there are some orange spots as well, but there's this grey wash all over the figure.

Edit: avatar_Faras @Faras  I found this video, I assume that's Sede v 2.0? My figure does indeed look better than this, but it's still grey and washed out. I feel bad for avatar_Bread @Bread and others who got an even worse version of this figure. Anyone who got one from the first batch can consider themselves lucky.
https://youtu.be/NZJhhW1vU7k

Faras

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Yup it's 2.0 in vid :) Yeah third version still has grey wash sadly, though seems first version has very similar amount of wash as 3.0 in 1/3 of the pics (in 2/3 pics it doesn't have any greys, though that's probably cameras fault since posters often stated they couldn't show the wash properly).

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Faras @Faras Well, then I will consider myself lucky. I got the third version for a very low price. Hopefully this means the awful second version is out of circulation now, at least at PNSO's official store.

Faras

PNSO Livyatan

Length along curves: 36.6cm, officially 1:45 since it's based off a 16.5m, 57t individual.

Eye position: they included a skeletal drawing in booklet - maxilla isn't parallel to upper lip making eyes seem a bit too high despite they are sitting perfectly inside sockets.

The figure is has quite some heft (big round body, feels like 2-3 times bigger than Tylosaurus despite similar length), guess being hollow and 1:45 is a good thing in this case (otherwise way too heavy/big).

Peaceful yet still dynamic pose, I do like the slightly opened mouth that shows all details inside without giving the figure "roar", so this Livyatan looks like a living whale instead of an angry monster (I do like Tylosaurus, but wouldn't want every figure in high tension).

Sorry about awful pics here, my phone couldn't capture much details on this figure when zoomed out o_O

Only flaw of this one is the seams (right side is worse than left on mine), more visible than Tylosaurus' due to smooth skin, tho that probably also means fixing them would much easier.

Edit: seems all recent marine stands (Kronosaurus, Tylosaurus, Livyatan) have same length.

Faras

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Yup pretty nice deal since 1.0 probably cost three times more :o Aye think it's out of official stores now, every pic in comment since mid July shows new version :D

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on October 09, 2021, 06:02:45 PM
avatar_Faras @Faras Well, then I will consider myself lucky. I got the third version for a very low price. Hopefully this means the awful second version is out of circulation now, at least at PNSO's official store.
Since you got yours from Aliexpress, somewhat directly from PNSO, it may be that the batches are more recent as opposed to Amazon which may still have the second batch floating around due to local warehouses here in the states.

Honestly, the second batch is still a good figure, only seems to be bad when compared to first and third batches. I would consider parting with my second and risk buying it again for the third batch figure. PNSO's Ankylosaurus is one of the best of its genus.

Bread

Also, thank you avatar_Faras @Faras for the photos! Been meaning to ask, is that your display? It looks wonderful.

Faras

avatar_Bread @Bread My pleasure :) Ja, thank you! Getting a bit too crowded, maybe it's time to grab some missing stuffs and expand marine space :O

Faelrin

avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks for sharing those images of the Livyatan. I'll be honest I'm just not digging this one as much, and it is solely because of the seams, when combined with the price unfortunately. There also isn't any other real contender on the market either for a comparable price, so this is a tough choice here for me. But I imagine it will be quite some time before I can commit to making a final decision, and there's still plenty more I'm behind on and needing caught up with as well. The seams on the mouth area I was not initially aware about, although looking back at the promo pics it appears they were there and I missed them, although they are definitely more obvious in your images of course.

However are they as distracting in person versus the images?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faras

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin yw :) Somehow mouth seams are more obvious than head seams close up, but they become barely visible over 50cm (head needs ~2m). Paint on back is darker in person, so seams are *slightly* less distracting, but they can still easily grab attention.

Pic taken from about 2m away, seams are barely visible:

But if I turn on the light (very close light, so this is the worst case):

Hmm btw, Mainland China price for Livyatan should drop below $19 around 1st - 3rd and 9th - 11th Nov. Guess I'll wait for those sales if they release more in Oct :o

Edit: checking pics online, this one probably has the worst seams since there's nothing to hide them.

Faelrin

avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks for those pics so soon, and the input. Definitely a bit better farther away at least. I think you are right about the smoothness of it accentuating it as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JimoAi

Himalayasaurus announced!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: