News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on October 11, 2021, 03:54:22 PM
Few collectors go for marine life? This certainly is news to me. And aside from the visible seams, PNSO's marine monsters are easily on par in terms of sculpting with the ones from CollectA and Safari if not more so. Same goes for colour schemes as well.
Agreed. The only issue PNSO face is the prices and how a lot of customers are pushed away by them, based on observations. Even with that, collectors will come flocking when an unusual/uncommon species is revealed.

Also, PNSO won't stay with prehistoric marine life for long. From what I see, they like to jump around and if anything that is a good tactic as it keeps customers surprised, as a result us customers keep an eye out for each reveal.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Bread on October 11, 2021, 04:48:28 PM
Agreed. The only issue PNSO face is the prices and how a lot of customers are pushed away by them, based on observations.

Do we know this for sure, though? People complaining about something on the Internet doesn't necessarily translate to fewer sales. I might be cynical because my other major hobby is playing video games, and it's pretty common for people to complain endlessly about a game and/or threaten to boycott it and still buy it anyway. Unless PNSO has released their sales figures somewhere, we don't really have evidence that sales have dropped off since they started raising their prices.
Check out my customs thread!

paleochris

Quote from: suspsy on October 11, 2021, 03:54:22 PM
Few collectors go for marine life? This certainly is news to me. And aside from the visible seams, PNSO's marine monsters are easily on par in terms of sculpting with the ones from CollectA and Safari if not more so. Same goes for colour schemes as well.

I agree with that. The visible seams of the latest models are finally the only real default, the rest is always at a higher level than the others brands :
- better application and choice of paint
- better details and sculpting
- the figures still look like nice scientific models rather than toys

Lynx

I'm going to try staying passive in all this in order to not spark an argument, so let me just say:
No, I have not seen many collectors actively pick up marine life.
In my opinion, the various issues with PNSO include high prices, prototypes tending to be much different from the final version, drastic examples being the Pinacosaurus. They also seem to be having much blander paint schemes with the last few figures, though this could of course change with new terrestrial creatures. Seam lines are getting more visible, but as with the last statement, could change with time. Abundant releases almost every week are smiled upon, but your bank account won't appreciate it too much.

Regardless though, I feel now that other companies are presenting their releases, PNSO will be pushed aside for a while. I'll be exiting this conversation after this writing as I don't want to participate in an argument at the moment.

Edit: As Boki said, this tends to be speculation, not fact. I'm not confirming PNSO is going to be pushed aside, just pure guess work for fun.
An oversized house cat.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Dusty Wren on October 11, 2021, 05:10:22 PM
Agreed. The only issue PNSO face is the prices and how a lot of customers are pushed away by them, based on observations.

Do we know this for sure, though? People complaining about something on the Internet doesn't necessarily translate to fewer sales. I might be cynical because my other major hobby is playing video games, and it's pretty common for people to complain endlessly about a game and/or threaten to boycott it and still buy it anyway. Unless PNSO has released their sales figures somewhere, we don't really have evidence that sales have dropped off since they started raising their prices.

Wow, great new additions and all marine creatures! Glad to see them focus on some of these group, now, I hope it won't be too long before we see a long necked plesiosaur!

The seams don't bother me as much as some, it is the inevitable result of making figures hollow and I have come to accept that. It seems that for most hollow figures, the seams are either located on the neck, middle of the body, or tail - must be something to do with the moulding process.
For animals like these, where the skin is smooth and lack large scales or fur/feathers, it's nearly impossible to obscure seam lines. The Nanmu apatosaurus despite its high price also has seams very visible on the tail, and the exquisite Diprotodon from SR also has it on the neck. The biggest difference is that the Apatosaurus has so much exaggerated skin golds and deep lines that it distracted from the seams, and the SR figure has skin folded on the neck and the fur around it helped. Even the old Opthalmosaurus from PNSO had so much skin folds and lines that it hid the seams well. I still have to see a hollow figure with smooth skin that has its seam lines perfectly obscured.

Most of the comments about sales and future of PNSO is just pure speculation, we simply have no proof of it. So I agree with you avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren . It seems to me that PNSO has become the brand that many would love to hate ???

Bread

You are most likely right. My observations were based on the member's (plural) comments on a figure once it's released.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx PNSO have always had their final products differ from their promo images. I don't know of any company that has perfected their final product vs. promotional images matching.
I can understand the nitpick on colors. Marine life tends to be a consistent dark colors, blue, blacks, greys, white, etc... I will say that their Olorotitan has somewhat of a standout color scheme. Companies ignore purple too often (of course it has to be done right).

VanillaVanilla

Hello! I am a newcomer! I love paper, drawing, and turtles!

Over9K

Quote from: VanillaVanilla on October 11, 2021, 07:08:43 PM
Hi :)

"Hello back young feller, how'r you?" - Ben Gardner, Jaws

Welcome to the forum, VanillaVanilla!

Sim

The PNSO Himalayasaurus intersts me.  The seam is unfortunate, hopefully it's not too visible in person.  I'll join the others who would like to see a long-necked plesiosaur from PNSO.  The elasmosaurid Styxosaurus snowii is the one I'd most like!

Psittacoraptor

Tucson is now available on their official Aliexpress store: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003393525781.html

Sim

Quote from: Bread on October 11, 2021, 06:18:09 PM
I can understand the nitpick on colors. Marine life tends to be a consistent dark colors, blue, blacks, greys, white, etc... I will say that their Olorotitan has somewhat of a standout color scheme. Companies ignore purple too often (of course it has to be done right).

I'd like to see the marine life colours you mentioned used more often.  I don't like the colouration of the Wild Safari Elasmosaurus, Plesiosuchus and Tylosaurus.  As for purple, I agree it needs to be done right, but it's also a very unusual and rare colour among animals.  Perhaps it was like this among prehistoric animals too.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on October 13, 2021, 12:24:31 PM

I'd like to see the marine life colours you mentioned used more often.  I don't like the colouration of the Wild Safari Elasmosaurus, Plesiosuchus and Tylosaurus.  As for purple, I agree it needs to be done right, but it's also a very unusual and rare colour among animals.  Perhaps it was like this among prehistoric animals too.
Oh no, I do agree too. The colors I listed are what I desire in marine life. Something like Safari's Tylosaurus is a no go for me. Seems unlikely for a prehistoric or even a modern day marine animal to have.

suspsy

I think bright colours with stripes would be perfectly acceptable for smaller mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, and other marine reptiles. Just look at leopard sharks and catsharks. Or green sea turtles and common dolphins. For a huge predator like Tylosaurus, however, dark colours would definitely be more suitable.

That said, I still really like the Wild Safari version.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reuben03

Quote from: suspsy on October 13, 2021, 04:03:32 PM
I think bright colours with stripes would be perfectly acceptable for smaller mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, and other marine reptiles. Just look at leopard sharks and catsharks. Or green sea turtles and common dolphins. For a huge predator like Tylosaurus, however, dark colours would definitely be more suitable.

That said, I still really like the Wild Safari version.
i gotta say this has really inspired me in terms of mosasaur art,

i cant wait to draw a tiger shark mosasaur now!!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Gothmog the Baryonyx

You are most likely right. My observations were based on the member's (plural) comments on a figure once it's released.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx PNSO have always had their final products differ from their promo images. I don't know of any company that has perfected their final product vs. promotional images matching.
funnily enough, the CollectA Olorotitan also has some purple on it, must be something about the animal
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh wow. I completely missed the Himalayasaurus. Looks fine. But i will grab it later, when there is a sale or something. like with most of the other Releases. Tylo looks fantastix, but since i have a repainted Safari Tylo and the Pose is almost the same, i will have to pass. Hm. Maybe later. I like it quite alot.

@boki and avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren

These are Thoughts, i can find inside myself. Thanks.

EDIT: I just saw Andys Video for the Tylosaurus. And i have to say, that i fell in love with the Figure. I think quite the same on what he, and also alot here said about the seams. Because the rest of this Sculpt is absolutely fantastic to me. I prefer this Tylo way over Ron. I love closed mouths, but i am more happy about the fact, that it is not an articulated jaw. The colouration is really really well done. In the Video, it actually works to see all the different coulours and the really good transitions and details. The whole Animal looks absolutely lifelike. I am so suprised right now, because i liked the Figure, but was not all over the place. But after seeing it in a Video, i am.

Since it would get a Base from me on day one and it would go straight to my other Mesozoic Marine Reptiles, i never would get stuck on the seam. Just admire the Figure as a whole. I am finished now and walk away. :D

Psittacoraptor

paleochris

the last 3 babies of PNSO (source: tieba) honestly the more time goes by and the more I see pictures of the figures, and the less importance I give to the seams. Let's be honest, they are beautiful marine animals models, they remain largely above the other brands, the seams are balanced by a beautiful quality of painting and a very realistic sculpture! They will be on my shelves without hesitation

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: