News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on November 26, 2021, 09:21:54 PM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Thanks for sharing those pics. Hope I can get it sometime next year (and whatever else I am behind on). Nice to finally have an updated sculpt of this, especially with Safari's retired (although I do have it).

No problem avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I'm glad you appreciate it. I hope you're able to get one down the road. I have a lot of catching up to do on PNSO also, but don't we all? I gotta say that this Cretoxyrhina is one of the best shark figures in my entire collection, extinct or extant.

Psittacoraptor

I'm very interested in what they reveal next, although dinosaurs only is a bummer for me.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Thanks for the pics. The Cretoxyrhina looks great, I really like the bronze sheen.

I ordered my first PNSO marine models on their 11.11 sale, the Helicoprion and Dunkleosteus. Sadly, I won't be getting them because the local courier service lost the package after it entered my country.

Quote from: Sim on November 26, 2021, 09:34:57 PM
The dinosaur toy market has plenty of diverse choices available, I don't think theropods crowd it.
The data says otherwise (number of figures, from dinotoycollector.com):

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's because you're comparing all of Theropoda to various smaller categories within Ornithiscia. There are more different genera of Theropods than Ornithiscians anyway, excluding birds even. Admittedly a lot of the diverse array of theropods will not be made because they only make the same sort of ones.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bread

Besides the conversation of an over abundance of certain groups, I wanted to mention the PNSO sale, which is on both Aliexpress and Amazon, is lasting till November 29th. Just to keep anyone updated, which of course is the rumor for when reveals/new releases will start.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx If we're going by ornithischians vs saurischians (which wasn't my intention), theropods are just one saurischian clade, so I'm not sure what you mean. If we should compare just theropods to all ornithischians, wouldn't that show us how overrepresented theropods are? I do love me some nice theropod models but saying that they dominate the market is not really a new observation. They seem to sell the best, so it's completely understandable from a business perspective. At the same time, it's also understandable that some collectors get bored of them.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor no that was not my intention. Saurischia and Ornithiscia are not equivalents. There are twice as many Saurischians as Ornithiscians. I am counting Ornithiscians as equivalent to Theropoda and Sauropodmorpha as the 3 big clades. At the start of 2021 (the numbers will have changed) there are around 400 non-avian Theropoda, around 350 Ornithiscia and 300 Sauropodmorpha.
Not to mention the various sub Clyde's within Ornithiscian such as Ceratopsia,  Ornithopoda or Stegosauria are more equivalent to say Tyrannosauroidea or Megalosauroidea or Maniraptora.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

B @Bokisaurus, first I didn't say CollectA's ceratopsians are ugly.  I said only the new CollectA Triceratops looks ugly and to me.  Next, I didn't say the PNSO ceratopsians are ugly either, I said I've found them ugly.  People on this forum express negative opinions about figures all the time and no company's figures are immune to it.  I remember that even you in the years you've been here have been dismissive of Safari figures.  As for me being dismissive of prehistoric invertebrates, I was simply expressing my thoughts about not understanding the interest in them.  I'm going to disagree with you about those comments I made being unnecessary, I think negative comments can have value too.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, your intention was not clear to me.  Also, what do you mean when you say I have sinned?  That sounds offensive and I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly here?

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor, as avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx has explained well, Mesozoic Theropoda is like Ornithischia in terms of diversity.  Ornithischia getting over-split when considering the main dinosaur groups is losing favour in place of three main dinosaur groups being recognised: Theropoda, Ornithischia and Sauropodomorpha.  Also, in that dinotoycollector.com image, where are the non-sauropod sauropodomorphs?

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Okay, I understand what you meant now. I don't want to debate taxonomy here, it's one of the most boring topics in science for me, haha. So let's just agree that there are a lot of theropod models on the market, and a continued focus on them would not be very exciting for some collectors.

avatar_Sim @Sim Multiple users have told you already that Shonisaurus is not a native speaker of English and he's trying his best communicating in a foreign language. The literal meaning of "sin" is very obviously not what he meant to say. Feigning offense at that is silly.

Sim

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor, no it isn't obvious to me what Shonisaurus meant.  That should have been clear since I said to them, "I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly here?"  I don't know how you came to the thought that I was "feigning offense", but what I said clearly shows that's not what I'm doing.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on November 27, 2021, 09:53:21 AM
I'm very interested in what they reveal next, although dinosaurs only is a bummer for me.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Thanks for the pics. The Cretoxyrhina looks great, I really like the bronze sheen.

I ordered my first PNSO marine models on their 11.11 sale, the Helicoprion and Dunkleosteus. Sadly, I won't be getting them because the local courier service lost the package after it entered my country.

Quote from: Sim on November 26, 2021, 09:34:57 PM
The dinosaur toy market has plenty of diverse choices available, I don't think theropods crowd it.
The data says otherwise (number of figures, from dinotoycollector.com):

And let's be real, how much of that Theropoda group is just Tyrannosaurs, JP Velociraptors, and Allosaurs.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Sim @Sim I apologize to you, it was not my intention to sour the DTF colloquium. You are a very valuable forum member and just as other DTF members say I have problems communicating with the beautiful language of Shackespeare, that is English, one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I apologize if I have offended you and I am at your disposal for you to communicate to my email and I will personally apologize.

Sim

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, thanks and no more apologies are necessary!  I'm sorry if I came across as unfriendly, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Halichoeres

Four true statements and a speculation:

• prehistoric toys have historically been and continue to be disproportionately theropod dinosaurs.

• despite the above, plenty of specific theropod lineages are relatively neglected (hesperornithines, alvarezsaurs, etc.)

• more recently, ornithischian dinosaurs have also gotten disproportionate attention

• despite the above, plenty of specific ornithischian lineages have been neglected (e.g., all but two families of ornithopods)

I suspect, but I'm not sure, that there is greater morphological variety among ornithischians than among theropods, which might make theropods feel even more represented than they are.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on November 27, 2021, 05:28:48 PMI'm going to disagree with you about those comments I made being unnecessary, I think negative comments can have value too

QuoteI can't bear to look at the CollectA Triceratops because of the colouration streaking on its snout.

I fail to see how comments like that have value. It's not constructive or objective; it just comes off as insulting.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on November 28, 2021, 12:58:02 AM
Quote from: Sim on November 27, 2021, 05:28:48 PMI'm going to disagree with you about those comments I made being unnecessary, I think negative comments can have value too

QuoteI can't bear to look at the CollectA Triceratops because of the colouration streaking on its snout.

I fail to see how comments like that have value. It's not constructive or objective; it just comes off as insulting.

It seems hypocritical to me to make remarks like that but then call out Shonisaurus for his remark about the abundance of theropod toys. Everyone has an opinion and should be able to share them and even debate them, negative or positive, I have no problem with it. What I don't like is people acting like their opinion is the final word or the only one with value. There shouldn't be double standards.

John

It would seem that the rumors of there being new releases starting today were not true...but on the bright side we still have an insanely large selection to choose from as it is right now. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Quote from: John on November 28, 2021, 03:27:36 AM
It would seem that the rumors of there being new releases starting today were not true...but on the bright side we still have an insanely large selection to choose from as it is right now. :)
I looked back at the original statement saying it was to be the 27th for the rumored reveals, but my guess is it will be after the 29th. The sale ends on that date, so it only makes sense for pnso to wait till that's over.

Sim

Again, people on this forum make negative comments about figures all the time.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to single me out, but I stand by my opinion that comments like the one you quoted have value.  Different opinions help make this forum interesting and can help companies improve their products.  What I said isn't insulting, it's truly how I feel about the model.

Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2021, 01:16:23 AM
It seems hypocritical to me to make remarks like that but then call out Shonisaurus for his remark about the abundance of theropod toys. Everyone has an opinion and should be able to share them and even debate them, negative or positive, I have no problem with it. What I don't like is people acting like their opinion is the final word or the only one with value. There shouldn't be double standards.

What you're referring to isn't hypocritical or a double standard.  I commented on Shonisaurus's remark on theropods because I interpreted it as saying that people liking theropods is not good.  I felt it was an opinion that directly judged other people, myself included.  My comment on the CollectA 2022 Triceratops is simply stating how I feel about the model, art gets criticised all the time, so I don't see anything wrong with what I said about this figure.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on November 28, 2021, 01:20:03 PM

Again, people on this forum make negative comments about figures all the time.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to single me out, but I stand by my opinion that comments like the one you quoted have value.  Different opinions help make this forum interesting and can help companies improve their products.  What I said isn't insulting, it's truly how I feel about the model.

Claiming that you can't even bear to look at a toy simply because it has beige stripes along its head really doesn't have any positive value or merit, and will not help to improve products. If you were an employee of CollectA or Safari or PNSO, would you honestly heed the words of someone who made such insulting remarks about something you worked very hard on? I sure wouldn't. You might as well be trying to argue that all the insults Simon Cowell dished out on American Idol made the contestants feel better about themselves. It is perfectly possible to offer criticism with the earnest hope of contributing toward improvement without taking on a deliberately hostile and insulting tone. Indeed, it is the ideal. Do you really not comprehend that?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on November 28, 2021, 01:20:03 PM
What you're referring to isn't hypocritical or a double standard.  I commented on Shonisaurus's remark on theropods because I interpreted it as saying that people liking theropods is not good.  I felt it was an opinion that directly judged other people, myself included.  My comment on the CollectA 2022 Triceratops is simply stating how I feel about the model, art gets criticised all the time, so I don't see anything wrong with what I said about this figure.

You can't see how your constant criticism of the things other people enjoy might be offensive to others? Like Shonisaurus's remark was for you? That's a lack of perspective. Constructive criticism has value, looking at things objectively and acknowledging the pros and cons. The CollectA Triceratops is an objectively good toy, even if you don't like the paintjob, or the butt fuzz in my case. It's not Ark of the Covenant, face meltingly bad like your comments imply and yes, it insults members when you imply it is. You can call it criticizing art, but how do the people that like that art feel when you criticize it?

As for Shonisaurus's remark, I agree with Psittacosaurus, you're feigning ignorance and started trouble where there wasn't any. You could (should) have just let his remark slide, it didn't require your two cents. How many times do you really want to debate the abundance or lack thereof of theropods in the market? It's tired. Every active member here knows that English is not Shonisaurus's primary language. Furthermore, he might be the kindest, most even tempered member on the entire forum. He's one of the few that actually tries to avoid conflict and negativity. There was no need to call him out like you did and although I hate getting into these arguments I couldn't just stand by. That's my final thought on the matter.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: