News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quotewould you honestly heed the words of someone who made such insulting remarks

I think you're exaggerating my comment, and considering what is in bold in the quote above is what you've been doing to me I don't believe you're offering me good or kind advice.

QuoteYou can't see how your constant criticism of the things other people enjoy might be offensive to others? Like Shonisaurus's remark was for you? That's a lack of perspective.

No, it isn't a lack of perspective.  I have made clear that my opinions are how I personally feel about a figure, I'm not judging how other people feel about the figure so why would what I said be offensive to others, unless they can't tolerate what they like being disliked?  As I said, I understood Shonisaurus's remark as judging other people hence why I felt the need to respond.  Also with regards to the bold part, you also express regular criticism of figures so I'm not sure why you're telling me what I said might be offensive.

QuoteThe CollectA Triceratops is an objectively good toy, even if you don't like the paintjob, or the butt fuzz in my case. It's not Ark of the Covenant, face meltingly bad like your comments imply and yes, it insults members when you imply it is. You can call it criticizing art, but how do the people that like that art feel when you criticize it?

I'm going to disagree on the CollectA Triceratops being objectively good.  I think it's subjective, and in my opinion it isn't good because of how the scales with protuberances are only sometimes painted a different colour and because of the streak on its face - both of these things look unnatural to me.  I'm also going to disagree about my disliking the CollectA Triceratops insulting members.  Again, I made it clear it was how I personally found the figure, I respect how others feel about the figure.

QuoteAs for Shonisaurus's remark, I agree with Psittacosaurus, you're feigning ignorance and started trouble where there wasn't any.

Well, you and Psittacoraptor are both wrong and I'm surprised you would think that about me.  You don't really know me and yet you make insulting assumptions about me.  I hate conflict and I only responded to Shonisaurus's comment because I felt I and others were being judeged negatively by it.  I don't know why you and Psittacoraptor would assume the worst about me.  Also, speaking of starting trouble where there wasn't any, it seems like that's what you're doing now, as the exchange between me and Shonisaurus was over, I even apologised to them for the way I responded to them.

Libraraptor

So what was this thread originally about, again? I invite everybody to return to a decent,  fair discussion.  Subtle imputations or acting like a prima donna are always toxic as hell. So would you please return to a decent atmosphere, everybody? I cannot see any obvious personal attacks here yet. But I sense  primary stages towards them. Best is we all return to a calm and factual discussion.Thank you C:-)

Antey

One question - is a negative opinion about something here considered an insult to anyone? Western society finally morphed into HG Wells' Eloi ?! I don't like the old PNSO models, but the petty criticism of the firm's products annoys me. I can't express my opinion? Is this the kind of freedom the Europeans fought for ?!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Antey on November 28, 2021, 07:52:49 PM
One question - is a negative opinion about something here considered an insult to anyone? Western society finally morphed into HG Wells' Eloi ?! I don't like the old PNSO models, but the petty criticism of the firm's products annoys me. I can't express my opinion? Is this the kind of freedom the Europeans fought for ?!
And now we're getting called Nazi's...

If you're opinion was "I like them despite their flaws" than great! I like the Papo Protoceratops, a figure that everyone has been relentlessly lamenting and dissing for weeks now, and have I called anyone a Nazi for it? No, no I haven't. Because they are welcome to their opinion about whether or not they like something.

But if you're opinion is "I think people should stop saying they don't like a thing that I do like" than that is not great, and that's the opinion you've been expressing, hence the upset.

Bread

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0
Forum rules are through this link. Follow them and there should be no problems.

Antey

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 28, 2021, 07:57:59 PM
And now we're getting called Nazi's...

If you're opinion was "I like them despite their flaws" than great! I like the Papo Protoceratops, a figure that everyone has been relentlessly lamenting and dissing for weeks now, and have I called anyone a Nazi for it? No, no I haven't. Because they are welcome to their opinion about whether or not they like something.

But if you're opinion is "I think people should stop saying they don't like a thing that I do like" than that is not great, and that's the opinion you've been expressing, hence the upset.
I am old and I lived under communist totalitarianism. You haven't lived. Therefore, my experience allows me to judge the world of Western tolerance - it is a bad copy of the Russian communists. This is scary.

PumperKrickel

If your comparison between this and a totalitarian regime had any merit, I highly doubt you'd feel comfortable openly criticizing it like you're doing right now. Let's not get carried away.

Antey

Agree. It is possible to discuss the methods of totalitarianism only with those who have gone through it. You have everything ahead.
Returning to the topic, let me share my thoughts - PNSO made a gigantic discount on "Winter Wilson", much higher than on other figures. And given their sharp reaction to criticism, I guess Wilson number 4 is coming. With small scales, and maybe even with lips. Although I do not want the latter, based on my scientific intuition.

Psittacoraptor

Holy hyperbole, this thread is going places lol.

How about we get back on topic and discuss PNSO dinosaur models?

sepp

Okay. It is time to stop.
Alluding that this forum is used or run by Nazis because we ask everyone to adhere to the rules is asinine and ridiculous. Absolutely uncalled for.
The mere suggestion that our enforcement of our rules is even close to Nazism or fascism is beyond insulting.

We need to enforce the rules or this place would be no better than 4chan. That's the way it is. Full stop. You are welcome to leave if following our rules is too difficult for you, or if you feel it infringes on your human rights.

There is a difference between criticism and insults. Criticism may seem insulting because it isn't usually something you like to hear, but someone having a different opinion than you is not an insult. People are welcome to their opinions here, so long as they don't resort to personal attacks or foul language to express themselves.

Just please follow the rules, you guys.

Antey

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on November 28, 2021, 08:35:46 PM
Holy hyperbole, this thread is going places lol.

How about we get back on topic and discuss PNSO dinosaur models?
I have already returned. I propose to discuss the following question - why does the PNSO not keep in touch with the army of fans? I am ready to become its leader. :) Feedback is an important channel in the business world. And the lack of announcements is also not the best tactic. Although I understand the Chinese. Sit in ambush and watch the reaction. being formally independent of promises.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Antey on November 28, 2021, 08:35:12 PM
Agree. It is possible to discuss the methods of totalitarianism only with those who have gone through it. You have everything ahead.
I am a lesbian, transgender, mixed race, woman, who was raised in a religious cult (Jehovah's Witness). I am deeply and personally familiar with authoritarian and totalitarian policies, trends, and dog whistling in "western" politics and culture. I really don't want to draw this out any more than necessary, but this insinuation that people who haven't lived under the USSR are incapable of understanding authoritarianism or that we haven't experienced authoritarian policy and the impacts it can have on our lives is one I find deeply offensive, and more relevantly, in need of disputing.

This isn't even the main PNSO thread, so continued topics of their figures, business strategies, or anything besides their 2021 lineup specifically are also off topic and should be moved to the general PNSO thread. Literally all of this, even the attempts specifically to get back on topic, is off topic.

sepp

While I agree with you stargatedalek, we need to end the conversation there please.

This thread is not the place to discuss politics, so I implore all of you to please cease and decist doing as such, keep to the topic of the thread and follow the rules.

Ivántirrophus

So, Do you think the Cretoxyrhina was the last sea monster from PNSO? I'd love to see a Liopleurodon from them to complete my Hell's Aquarium.  ^-^

Bread

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on November 29, 2021, 03:01:14 AM
So, Do you think the Cretoxyrhina was the last sea monster from PNSO? I'd love to see a Liopleurodon from them to complete my Hell's Aquarium.  ^-^
According to rumors, yes the Cretoxyrhina is the last prehistoric marine animal to be released this year; followed by only dinosaurs to be released for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow we shall see if releases/reveals start back up. Honestly PNSO can be messy when it comes to their reveals. I can honestly expect a figure tomorrow or a week from now, but again we shall see. I've probably said this one-thousand times by now.

Sim

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on November 29, 2021, 03:01:14 AM

I too would like a Liopleurodon from PNSO.  I have the Safari one which is very good but I think its skin texture is inaccurate, so I'd like one from PNSO to replace it.  I'd also like to replace my Safari 2013 Elasmosaurus for the same reason, but I'd like PNSO to make a different elasmosaurid as Elasmosaurus is known only from a fragmentary specimen.  For me a PNSO Styxosaurus would be ideal.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on November 25, 2021, 04:45:41 AM
Glad to hear about your pleasant purchases. I can agree about the Tarbosaurus having proportional issues, but I must say it is better in person than it is through photos. To each their own though. PNSO will most likely release another Tyrannosaurus down the road, no doubt. I would even expect one for 2022 seeing how fast they've pumping out releases up until now.

Thanks and I also want to apologize to anyone I might've offended with my post.  After rereading my post and reading the following several pages it occurred to me that I should be more mindful of how I articulate criticism going forward.  Perhaps it's important to remember the contributions of everyone involved in bringing a figure to life.  From the experts that were consulted to the artists to the engineers handling the technical limitations of the moulding process to the factory workers who have to build and paint these things non stop over and over again, to the investors and money men that have to deal with procuring resources and making compromises to remain profitable.  And let's not forget the collectors who help keep the industry afloat with their patronage but also have a life long stake heavily steeped in nostalgia and childhood love of dinosaurs.  It's impossible for anyone involved not to take criticism personally because everyone is invested somehow, either your research, talent, business sense, passion or spending is called into question.

I believe it's possible to make an assessment on these figures that will help improve future products and assist others in making an informed purchase while being mindful of all those people that were involved in the creation of that figure. 

SidB

That's a great post, avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS , a post in the best spirit of this forum and an exemplar of what has carried us to this point in our history. It's not hard to become hypercritical for its own sake, negative simply so as to be "with it", or to rage against our disappointments, whatever. Been there myself, and it takes an effort to do what your describing: be aware of and appreciative of the efforts, including the best efforts of others. I can certainly relate to projecting or investing myself into figures or brands and therefore getting very upset at what I perceive as excessive criticism. And some of it is, like the late unlamented Vice President Spiro, T Agnew once blurted out - being nattering nabobs of negativity. I'm surely guilty of this in some of my criticism of several of Schleich's products, for instance,  in the past, or 'piling onto' criticism in some threads.

It's good to become self-aware, and be self-aware before offering up a critique. Having said that, we are continuously aided by the ongoing current of constructive criticism offered by technically knowledgeable members of the Forum. This such never be confused with the type of negativity that I was describing above. This, of course, includes proper evaluations of the stellar PNSO product line. It's not perfect, and no line will ever be, in the face of new evidence. Sometimes ongoing debates about such things as lips, feathers, etc. will color the argumentation, but that's fine. The line is crossed, however, when we start to mock or deride others on issues which are still unresolved, unsettled, simply because they don't correspond to the most contemporary movement of ideas.

Again, positive, constructive post on your part.

Dusty Wren

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS and S @SidB, those were excellent posts, and I agree 100%. Thanks for saying that.
Check out my customs thread!

Shonisaurus

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS S @SidB I totally agree with you. Sometimes I am also quite critical of dinosaur figures and I demand what is not in the writings and I do not realize that many times the companies of dinosaurs and other prehistoric toy animals invest a lot in the manufacture of new figures and many times they have economic risks that can lead to a commercial crisis in their company when it comes to trading unprofitable figures, beautiful but that at the moment of truth unfortunately they sell very little and it is a commercial failure of sales and they do it I think about all the brands for example iToy, PNSO, Safari, BoTM, Collecta or Schleich for putting several examples and many times to please us collectors which is appreciated, so we should less criticism and at least the effort of these companies when it comes to commercializing rare figures in the world of collecting because they have never been treated or have been little treated and that have a commercial failure to predecessor companies that also tried. Thank you for your noble words, I would like to have the clarity of ideas that you have, it is to be praised.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: