News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurox

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 11, 2021, 12:22:21 PM
Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2020, 01:07:26 AM
Those of you wishing for some dinosaurs may be want to be carful what you wish for.

They could slap you with repaints of exsiting figures ;)
That could be a good thing, depending on the figure.

Agreed I'd take a repainted Triceratops and dilophosaurus.

It'd just be nice to hear something.

Saurox

Apparently everything dinosaur will be releasing a video regarding 2 'official' releases from Papo. (Most likely the Meg and juvenile smilodon unfortunately).

Dinoxels

Quote from: Saurox on January 31, 2021, 08:29:04 PM
Apparently everything dinosaur will be releasing a video regarding 2 'official' releases from Papo. (Most likely the Meg and juvenile smilodon unfortunately).
Source?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Saurox

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 31, 2021, 08:49:49 PM
Quote from: Saurox on January 31, 2021, 08:29:04 PM
Source?

On their Facebook page as a response to a comment.

Duna

I found the new Papo horse version for next year ...  ;D

:)) :))

Fenestra

Gwangi

Quote from: Duna on February 23, 2021, 05:40:53 PM
I found the new Papo horse version for next year ...  ;D

:)) :))

avatar_Loon @Loon will like this one.  ;)

Stegotyranno420

The horse in the back:
"Well, wouldn't you know it, Billy is right back at it. Trying to impress a Black and white Lake bird. What an attention freak."

Loon

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Of course I like it. I mean not only is it a beautiful equine but also at least a possible pose for the animal, if this picture's not fake, unlike that broken wristed chilesaurus.

JimoAi

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 24, 2021, 03:09:25 AM
Well at least we didn't get any ridiculous poses this year.
Also after having seen the megalodon from different angles the second dorsal fin is a bit smaller than it seemed to be in the promotional image which I am very glad about.
Two tall dorsal fins would seem weird.
Now, if only the eyes would have been smaller...
Regarding the Smilodon cub, quite bothersome to see it having such a long tail.
Where did you find it? I searched don the FB page and nothing

sauroid

maybe the reason why Papo isnt putting out much prehistoric figures this year is because of stiff competition from PNSO, Nanmu etc?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Quote from: sauroid on March 06, 2021, 03:57:49 PM
maybe the reason why Papo isnt putting out much prehistoric figures this year is because of stiff competition from PNSO, Nanmu etc?
Add to that the very mixed reception that it's 2020 dinosaur figures received, plus covid-19 issues. Not a good year for them, I believe.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on March 07, 2021, 06:30:57 PM
Add to that the very mixed reception that it's 2020 dinosaur figures received, plus covid-19 issues. Not a good year for them, I believe.
Papo surely would've received some criticism over that horrendous Giganotosaurus before release. I could be entirely wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that EverythingDinosaur (or some online retailer) had expressed direct concerns to Papo in regards to the Giga's pose? That it would be very divisive among collectors?

I wonder why Papo never listens, or heck, listened to feedback. Even when it's been made clear that they're being gradually pushed out of the niche they created and pioneered in.

Stegotyranno420

Based on my humble opinion and my observations, If papo wants to exceed in this business, they should give up the niche of the pop culture dinosaurs they once dominated so well, but now are failing, and go do what early collectA and mojo did, and start to incorporate more science into the figures. Of course, Papo have done this a few times(maybe by mistake or not, and no, I am not talking about the Spinosaurus tail thing, but rather just all of those plausible and somewhat accurate figures). But since they have the best detail out of all the "toy" companies, rivalling some of them high end models, I guess with a bit research they can do things better. The sculptor did say that he doesn't see his sculptures as animals but more like cool animal-monsters. His research includes looking at some of the most popular photos of an animal if I'm not mistaken. So an easy fix is that even though the arts guy is not doing actual research, they could just look at specific photos of things, such as skeletals and accurate or plausible paleo art.
But then again, like avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy said, they don't listen at all. And what if their detail falls down to the collectA-safari levels ? What if figure prices increase? What if they fail at that too?

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on March 07, 2021, 06:52:18 PM
Quote from: SidB on March 07, 2021, 06:30:57 PM
Papo surely would've received some criticism over that horrendous Giganotosaurus before release. I could be entirely wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that EverythingDinosaur (or some online retailer) had expressed direct concerns to Papo in regards to the Giga's pose? That it would be very divisive among collectors?

I wonder why Papo never listens, or heck, listened to feedback. Even when it's been made clear that they're being gradually pushed out of the niche they created and pioneered in.
Maybe for the same reason why talented, capable individuals and corporations in general, after initial successes, fail to change with the times - complacency, pride, a false sense of security. No surprise really - on a big scale look at General Motors in the U.S., for example: once upon a time (late "50's, early 60's) they had over 50% market share. Now, still big, but nowhere near that. Almost went under in 2008, survived because of government bailouts. The disastrous careers of some famous athletes who wouldn't listen to advice, e.g., Denny McLean with the Detroit Tigers in the late 60's- check it out.

Duna

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 07, 2021, 07:24:54 PM
Based on my humble opinion and my observations, If papo wants to exceed in this business, they should give up the niche of the pop culture dinosaurs they once dominated so well, but now are failing, and go do what early collectA and mojo did, and start to incorporate more science into the figures. Of course, Papo have done this a few times(maybe by mistake or not, and no, I am not talking about the Spinosaurus tail thing, but rather just all of those plausible and somewhat accurate figures). But since they have the best detail out of all the "toy" companies, rivalling some of them high end models, I guess with a bit research they can do things better. The sculptor did say that he doesn't see his sculptures as animals but more like cool animal-monsters. His research includes looking at some of the most popular photos of an animal if I'm not mistaken. So an easy fix is that even though the arts guy is not doing actual research, they could just look at specific photos of things, such as skeletals and accurate or plausible paleo art.
But then again, like avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy said, they don't listen at all. And what if their detail falls down to the collectA-safari levels ? What if figure prices increase? What if they fail at that too?
Very interesting reflexion, yours.  ;)
Papo did very nice figures as the ceratosaurus, gorgosaurus, pentaceratops, megaloceros and even the therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus. They went a bit far with the Pentaceratops, but ok, I like it. The iconic standing green T-Rex is probably the best figure they have made in those years. But no, what they did with the Giganotosaurus can't be forgiven. That snake turtle neck, no ....

Saurox

What's the most disappointing is that their has been no word, no contact whatsoever with fan/customers. Even a few highly requested repaints would have been more welcome than frankly nothing.

SidB

Quote from: Saurox on March 09, 2021, 01:17:52 AM
What's the most disappointing is that their has been no word, no contact whatsoever with fan/customers. Even a few highly requested repaints would have been more welcome than frankly nothing.
I'm quite glad that I gave up waiting and went ahead with the Triceratops repaint. I doubt that Papo would have done as good a job as my friend anyways, though their paint applications are very good, generally speaking.

Carnoking

I saw "product development teaser" and got my hopes up.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: