News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Looks like it's a joke for Día de los Santos Inocentes, the Mexican April Fool's Day.

PumperKrickel

December 28th is sort of like Mexico's april fool's day, a day of pranks and practical jokes. So no, it's neither tease nor spoiler, but just a VERY funny joke.

They have now edited the post admitting as much.

SidB

Would have been nice if true.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on December 29, 2020, 04:14:13 AM
Yes, jokes are like dreams, you'd rather have a bad scenario than a good one, because when you realise it's not true, you are gonna wish the good scenario was true

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 29, 2020, 04:18:00 AM
Yes, jokes are like dreams, you'd rather have a bad scenario than a good one, because when you realise it's not true, you are gonna wish the good scenario was true
It's been said before, but maybe a bootlegger will come to the rescue.

DC

I would have expected a shorter tail on Smilodon and robust front legs.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Dusty Wren

Yeah, the tail is definitely too long. Which is odd, because both of Papo's previous Smilodons had short tails.

I feel like Papo missed a great opportunity here; if they had gone with a slightly older juvenile, we could have gotten a model with double sabers :))
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on December 30, 2020, 07:38:10 PM
Yeah, the tail is definitely too long. Which is odd, because both of Papo's previous Smilodons had short tails.

I feel like Papo missed a great opportunity here; if they had gone with a slightly older juvenile, we could have gotten a model with double sabers :))

I fear that would have required a level of research beyond that which Papo has demonstrated thus far in their existence.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on December 29, 2020, 02:06:28 PM
Wouldn't that be unethical according to the other forum members. (Personally, I think it's fine, especially for this figure, if they do what I hope they do).

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 30, 2020, 08:55:27 PM
Wouldn't that be unethical according to the other forum members. (Personally, I think it's fine, especially for this figure, if they do what I hope they do).

Because it is unethical. No matter how bad something is that doesn't give someone the right to steal it and reproduce it. If someone is customizing something for themselves that's totally fine since they're not making any profit off of it, but no one has the right to take something from someone else, change it and then resell it. :-\

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Dinoxels on December 22, 2020, 07:00:13 PM
The baby Smilodon is nice, will be getting that along with the Emus.

Hmm are you quite sure about that? I personally find it a bit of an eyesore. It's wearing eye mascara. I don't think a juvenile's fangs would be that developed. Its tail is completely wrong!

SidB

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on December 30, 2020, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 30, 2020, 08:55:27 PM

Because it is unethical. No matter how bad something is that doesn't give someone the right to steal it and reproduce it. If someone is customizing something for themselves that's totally fine since they're not making any profit off of it, but no one has the right to take something from someone else, change it and then resell it. :-\
Of course you're right, just speculating ... furthermore, I don't see it happening anyways, since there are plenty of other, equally good Giganotosaurs on the market and more likely enough to appear.

Sarapaurolophus

That Megalodon appears to be rocking pink lips if you squint a little :-* It looks cute enough but I am tired of seeing Great White lookalikes.

Loon

Hmm, I never knew about that double fanged look for juvenile smilodon, that's pretty interesting. Too bad Papo missed the mark, which is a shame, because their Megaloceros was so good. But, I suppose their smilodon figures have always been pretty weak.

Thialfi

Papo's offering so far is really weak, but as a prehistoric mammal collector I am actually quite happy we got the excellent megaloceros and juvenile smilodon now as well. Perhaps Papo should just slowly faze out the dinosaurs and focus on extant animals and prehistoric mammals. They seem to be pretty good at it.

Thialfi

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 06, 2021, 12:16:23 AM
Agreed, still hope to see a cave lion from them one day.
Oh yes, that would be really great, and with their experience with extant animals they should definitely be able to pull that off pretty well.

An aurochs and steppe bison would be great as well. Giant swan perhaps?

I would also still love to see someone make a Haast's eagle, giant moa and a Steller's sea cow!

Saurox

I can't help but notice that even though the megalodon and Smilodon images have been out for a few weeks now why nowhere has made any kind of announcement, even regarding those two models?

Saurox

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 06, 2021, 12:56:33 PM
If I am not mistaken they won't be released until November.

Oh looks like this year is shaping up to be the same as last year

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2020, 01:07:26 AM
Those of you wishing for some dinosaurs may be want to be carful what you wish for.

They could slap you with repaints of exsiting figures ;)
That could be a good thing, depending on the figure.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: