News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurox

ladyferry

I have a feeling with the current ongoing situation, that Papo are scaling back with the idea of doing any new dinosaurs. Until the foreseeable future possibly it seems.

Shonisaurus

I am hopeful that in the future Papo will make a new giganotosaurus with a more dignified posture and obviously much more scientific than its current counterpart and with an acceptable size. I hope that 2022 will be full of pleasant surprises from dinosaurs by Papo and even from prehistoric mammals that do not belong to the last ice age (Pleistocene and Holocene).

Stegotyranno420

I honestly prefer something like carcharodontosaurus or mapusaurus by papo, since its more likley.

Saurox

I'm very cautious about getting my hopes up about Papo continuing their prehistoric line. It will take a considerable effort to make up for the dismall showing this year.

japfeif

Quote from: Saurox on May 04, 2021, 12:33:33 AM
I'm very cautious about getting my hopes up about Papo continuing their prehistoric line. It will take a considerable effort to make up for the dismall showing this year.

I hope not....but yeah, you may be right.
I know lots of folks are wanting more of the newer dinos (as in "newly discovered") represented by companies like Papo, but I"d sure like to see Papo come out with some more of the "classics" like Corythosaurus, Centrosaurus (Monoclonius?)....or just about any of the "nose-horned" ceratopsians whose name is not "Styracosaurus"....Moschops, Megatherium, Struthiomimus....some of the  prehistoric animals I grew up with!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: japfeif on June 30, 2021, 03:34:12 AM
Quote from: Saurox on May 04, 2021, 12:33:33 AM

I hope not....but yeah, you may be right.
I know lots of folks are wanting more of the newer dinos (as in "newly discovered") represented by companies like Papo, but I"d sure like to see Papo come out with some more of the "classics" like Corythosaurus, Centrosaurus (Monoclonius?)....or just about any of the "nose-horned" ceratopsians whose name is not "Styracosaurus....Moschops, Megatherium, Struthiomimus....some of the  prehistoric animals I grew up with!

You have to be cautious, not lose hope and not be defeatist, but for now from Papo we have almost no news at the end of the first half of the year.

I would also like Papo to make classic prehistoric animals that I grew up with in my childhood, I would like a moschops, corythosaurus, monoclonis, in short, all the ones you have mentioned.

By the way, when is Papo going to market his megalodon and smilodon cub? The commercialization of both figures is eternalizing, I do not understand the reason for this delay, except that they are not very well economically.

ITdactyl

Maybe they just took a break and didn't want further pandemic induced financial risk for 2021... and then will ride the Jurassic fever of 2022.

austrosaurus

Honestly if Papo retired its prehistoric line or at least stopped designing new models, I couldn't care less. Like others have said, their niches of exquisite detail and shameless plagiarism of Jurassic Park have been taken over by companies like PNSO (detail) and Rebor, Nanmu etc. (Jurassic Park plagiarism). As much as I respect them for being the first company to show that dinosaur manufacturers could create genuine pieces of paleoart rather than toys, they've fallen behind in the market and since the demise of Bullyland have been consistently at the bottom of the pack when it comes to the mainstream/affordable retailers, ahead of only Schleich (and Schleich at least has a few decades of goodwill in the bank thanks to the ReplicaSaurus era). It's clear they won't take any advice with regards to improving their products, so perhaps they should look to the example of Bullyland and get out of the dinosaur game before their reputation gets ruined by a slow and inevitable demise.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: austrosaurus on June 30, 2021, 12:37:27 PM
Honestly if Papo retired its prehistoric line or at least stopped designing new models, I couldn't care less. Like others have said, their niches of exquisite detail and shameless plagiarism of Jurassic Park have been taken over by companies like PNSO (detail) and Rebor, Nanmu etc. (Jurassic Park plagiarism). As much as I respect them for being the first company to show that dinosaur manufacturers could create genuine pieces of paleoart rather than toys, they've fallen behind in the market and since the demise of Bullyland have been consistently at the bottom of the pack when it comes to the mainstream/affordable retailers, ahead of only Schleich (and Schleich at least has a few decades of goodwill in the bank thanks to the ReplicaSaurus era). It's clear they won't take any advice with regards to improving their products, so perhaps they should look to the example of Bullyland and get out of the dinosaur game before their reputation gets ruined by a slow and inevitable demise.

I totally agree with you but honestly the Papo figures are more affordable, Rebor, PNSO, Nanmu or GR Toys are superior figures with better quality of painting and sculpture but they are much more expensive figures and not everyone can afford to buy these figures. Papo makes or made figures of dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals at more attractive prices, although that does not mean that some figures are very expensive like his brachiosaurus or spinosaurus limited version of which I am a fan to give a few examples.

We need companies like Papo that give work to many families apart from that and taking into account another important thing is a company whose figures are expensive but not as expensive as the mentioned companies to which we could add GR Toys, Eofauna, Mesozoo protect, BoTM de David Silva or W-Dragon, these companies are all "black leg" and only four privileged people can afford to buy these figures or with great financial sacrifices, as happens to many members of the DTF.

I understand that it is interesting that Papo continues in the production of dinosaurs or other prehistoric toy animals. And it is more hope that it will resurface Bullyland is a company that brings back some very fond memories and although the material of the Bullyland figures was not extraordinary, despite everything, they made very cool figures such as mastodonsaurus, edaphosaurus, arizonasaurus, archeopteryx or liliensternus for put several examples.

Ivántirrophus

I really hope Papo continue making dinosaurs, they have top figures like their compy, carno, 2019 spino. even their giganoto is very detailed, I admit I bought it.  ;D

suspsy

That sums up my sentiments as well. And let's be honest, Schleich, for all it shortcomings, is waaaaaaaaaaay more successful as a company than Papo.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

If papo wants to live, it needs to adapt. The new Spinosaurus is probably one of their best figures, as I said many times before, and it's prob because they actually tried a bit for researching

Medzo

I am a completely new collector who just joined this market as a consumer a couple of months ago. My first pieces were all Papo, since they are available in local toy stores with Schleich, but have much better quality and collectible vibes than that.

Schleich is more like a toy and does not try to look otherwise imho.

But even I - after a couple of weeks - have switched to PNSO. My main problem with Papo that it feels like they can't decide which market to actually target. It is mostly sold as a toy but the price tag and quality is way beyond that many times. While other times the quality is like trash - and it is still kinda expensive for that. I mean later releases are badly painted, often way worse than on promotional images. Two different pieces of the same product have too much quality differences. One has the paint for the eye blurred, the other one has chipped tails and dripped paint spots. The packaging is almost non-existent, the stores just unwrap and throw them without any care onto the shelves.

I can't even dare to order them online since the last Brachiosaur I gifted to my girlfriend had punctured the plastic bag and the box with its tail and that's how it got delivered across half of Europe.

Also many molds are just dated. Stegosaurus, Parasaurolophus are bland and boring. Ankylosaurus is off-scale and not even having the proper body, also paintjob is terrible. So yeah, no strive for scientific accuracy. The poses are somewhat great, having some dynamic action to them but just as many times they are horrible because of it (like Giganoto or Baryonyx). I also don't like that my Rainbow standing T-rex is painted by hand very carefully, the material is kinda elastic, while the running version feels like solid plastic, the sking is paintbrushed (very unnatural) and it is even glossed all over in an unrealistic way.

So Papo quality is all over the place. I grew fond of my few better figures and I like the company all in all because it got me back to this nostalgic hobby. Only it is not THAT good.

What I miss is uniformity in quality, scale, packaging. I don't have the patience to hunt for properly painted and molded individuals who are also not damaged because of lack of boxes.

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah I noticed a lot of newer versions of old figures have kinda lackluster paint schemes. Just look at the Pachycephalosaurus...man.
I do still hope Papo picks their pace up again cause they're the best thing you can get here, everything else is just Schleich, Schleich, Schleich (I miss the Replicasaurus days) and some Mattel.
Newer releases still have great paint from what I saw but some older ones like the Carnotaurus or Dimetrodon felt...off compared to online photos, which is why I skipped on them for now despite being interested in them for my collection, maybe once they're on sale).

japfeif

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 30, 2021, 12:54:06 PM

I totally agree with you but honestly the Papo figures are more affordable, Rebor, PNSO, Nanmu or GR Toys are superior figures with better quality of painting and sculpture but they are much more expensive figures and not everyone can afford to buy these figures. Papo makes or made figures of dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals at more attractive prices, although that does not mean that some figures are very expensive like his brachiosaurus or spinosaurus limited version of which I am a fan to give a few examples.

Yes, totally agree on the price thing. Papo has always, to me, been the "best of the figures in regard to realism (if not necessarily scientific accuracy) vs. price point".  The reason I do not have any of the figures from the companies you mentioned (PNSO, etc.) is that they are just ridiculously expensive IMO, and Papo is/was always more affordable (even if they DO come put with a fairly pricey figure ever now & then).

Syndicate Bias

A bit too preachy for my taste really. Papo has a niche, it's cheaper than the other companies mentioned and it has decent paint and sculpting which is better than the other companies around that price range and lower. They're likely not going anywhere so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that. They just need to fix their ridiculous posing to actually be taken serious once more. That is all I am going to say here.

SidB

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 15, 2021, 07:18:39 AM
A bit too preachy for my taste really. Papo has a niche, it's cheaper than the other companies mentioned and it has decent paint and sculpting which is better than the other companies around that price range and lower. They're likely not going anywhere so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that. They just need to fix their ridiculous posing to actually be taken serious once more. That is all I am going to say here.
One thing that I noticed about Papo and their propensity for these poses is that these "get old" eventually, and then no longer fascinate but only annoy. Yeah, time to return to some sort of "normality" for their sculpts and be satisfied with their generally excellent production values.

Sim

Papo has a niche, it's cheaper than the other companies mentioned and it has decent paint and sculpting which is better than the other companies around that price range and lower.

I think Safari has better sculpting than Papo.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on August 15, 2021, 10:57:31 PM
Papo has a niche, it's cheaper than the other companies mentioned and it has decent paint and sculpting which is better than the other companies around that price range and lower.

I think Safari has better sculpting than Papo.
I also agree, but I will say it has to be a sculpt by Watson.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: