News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Nanmu filled the niche that Papo had.

And they have better quality too at least their Giga is not in a stand off pose

Flaffy

I've always felt that the whole "Limited Edition" thing was but a cheap gimmick in an attempt to create urgency, and thus hopefully more sales.
Didn't realise that "Limited Edition" to Papo meant mass producing it as much as possible. ::) I still see the LE Spinosaurus in-stock at many online retailers like ED, Minizoo, DansDinosaurs, Amazon......

The drastic difference in quality between paint apps of the promo-shots+prototype versus the final figure certainly didn't help either.

Recent Papo offerings have just been lackluster for the premium price they're asking. They just don't have a niche in the market anymore.
Who knew that excessive sculpting detail didn't guarantee sales; and that people preferred well-painted, well-proportioned dinosaur models not stuck in impossible, wacky, cartoonish poses. (Yes I am still salty about that Giganotosaurus)

Papo's legacy

Pachyrhinosaurus

Their limited editions must be limited to as many as they can sell.

Personally, I've lost interest in Papo's dinosaurs but their modern animals are always great. The combination of their sculpts, paint application, and overall quality set them ahead of other brands (though Safari will always be my favorite). And of course unlike the dinosaurs, Papo's wildlife is pretty accurate.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Stegotyranno420

Honestly now papo is being replaced by companies that are out of the range, like rebor, nanmu, and PNSO.

Could this be the end of Papo's dinosaurs?
Notice how since 2019 they have been going worse and worse. Making their Spinosaurus limited edition may have been what caused their company to fall. Less and less people became interested. Then in 2020, all of their figures sucked. Normally, a giganotosaurus,stygimoloch, chilessaurus and megaloceras sounds super interesting. The megaloceras was pretty rare and kind of realeased late, and even though it was the best figure out of 2020 for most folks, I guess the majority of Dino collectors don't really care much for a giant deer. The stygi was just small and kind of unimpressive. The chilesaurus sounds super nice and interesting, but was just everything bad about the giga and stygi copy pasted onto a cool dinosaur. But the biggest downside was the giga, it was so waited, so wanted, and almost NEEDED by us. It was pretty impressive sculpt and detail. But it's like if they got a nearly perfect giga model and then warped it into the pose of a friggin cowboy on some hard scotch. No wonder there's no dinosaurs. Originally I wanted to make a reveals video for papo 2021 just like I did for safari, but it was so unimpressive that I didn't want to get in the trouble. In fact, when avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking first posted the image of the lineup on his YouTube channel post, I thought they eliminated the prehistoric line, those 2 figures just looked like modern animals

GojiraGuy1954

If this is true, then i'll be sad to see Papo's prehistoric line go. The first two figures in my collection were both Papo, the Dimetrodon and old Allosaurus.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

And my first figure was the Papo feathered Velociraptor,  but I'm not worried about the future of Papo, I'm sure they've just done a light year like Safari Ltd have done.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Acro's comics

Very disappointing year indeed. I fully expected a strong showing after last years underwhelming release.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Flaffy on December 24, 2020, 11:11:36 PM
I've always felt that the whole "Limited Edition" thing was but a cheap gimmick in an attempt to create urgency, and thus hopefully more sales.
Didn't realise that "Limited Edition" to Papo meant mass producing it as much as possible. ::) I still see the LE Spinosaurus in-stock at many online retailers like ED, Minizoo, DansDinosaurs, Amazon......

The drastic difference in quality between paint apps of the promo-shots+prototype versus the final figure certainly didn't help either.

Recent Papo offerings have just been lackluster for the premium price they're asking. They just don't have a niche in the market anymore.
Who knew that excessive sculpting detail didn't guarantee sales; and that people preferred well-painted, well-proportioned dinosaur models not stuck in impossible, wacky, cartoonish poses. (Yes I am still salty about that Giganotosaurus)

Papo's legacy

This is sexist and tasteless at the same time. And I think it´s breaking Forum Rule number 2: No profanity.

Libraraptor

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 24, 2020, 03:27:01 PM
This is really disappointing. The fact that PNSO and CollectA have managed to pull through so well makes me think that companies such as Papo and Safari are using Covid as an excuse to be lazy with their figures.

This is not funny, this reads pretty rude and tasteless.

Flaffy

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 25, 2020, 06:59:05 PM
Papo's legacy
This is sexist and tasteless at the same time. And a little funny.

Tasteless? Sure. Sexist though? How is it sexist?

Libraraptor

Quote from: Flaffy on December 25, 2020, 07:11:58 PM
Papo's legacy

Come on, that Giganotosaurus is "taking" the smaller one from behind.  But depending on the wiki definition:

Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender. Sexism can affect anyone, but it primarily affects women and girls. It has been linked to stereotypes and gender roles, and may include the belief that one sex or gender is intrinsically superior to another. Extreme sexism may foster sexual harassment, rape, and other forms of sexual violence. Gender discrimination may encompass sexism, and is discrimination toward people based on their gender identity or their gender or sex differences. Gender discrimination is especially defined in terms of workplace inequality. It may arise from social or cultural customs and norms.

it is not sexism. Just profanity. Two hearts beat in my chest. I had deleted the "I find it funny" part after you had quoted it. Dilemma. ???

Flaffy

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 25, 2020, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 25, 2020, 07:11:58 PM
Papo's legacy

Come on, that Giganotosaurus is "taking" the smaller one from behind.

But is there anything there that belittles a specific sex or gender?
Wouldn't artificially inserting gender roles into a crudely edited image of two dinosaur figures itself be sexist?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 25, 2020, 07:01:38 PM
This is really disappointing. The fact that PNSO and CollectA have managed to pull through so well makes me think that companies such as Papo and Safari are using Covid as an excuse to be lazy with their figures.

That's Super messed up. It's not funny at all avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954

Syndicate Bias

Come to think of it dinosaur figures never get a female and male version huh

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 25, 2020, 07:52:17 PM

That's Super messed up. It's not funny at all avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954
Most companies bar papo have managed to deliver. Safari has an excuse because it moved its base of operations, but did anything happen with Papo to make 2021 so lackluster?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 25, 2020, 07:52:17 PM

Please stop posting needless comments that just simply add fuel to whatever conversation is happening. This has happened many times over now with you in other topics. avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno

Moving on I heard there is still a possibility for something from Papo from a source of mine but I doubt it. Apparently Papo has felt like their current 2020 line up needs a bit more of a runtime given how late they were released and also because it's been a hard year for Papo. ED on Youtube did make a video discussing 2022 models so that should've been a dead giveaway.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 25, 2020, 07:53:22 PM
Come to think of it dinosaur figures never get a female and male version huh
Yeah, but atleast collecta gave us a male brontoteriy. And safari gave us a female t rex if she was female. The list goes one, but this is a interesting idea. Color variants have been ruling the market so far

Carnoking

I would also be very sad to see Papo more or less parting ways with their prehistoric line. My first figure after my interest in dinosaurs was reinvigorated was the papo carnotaurus, and they've been one of the mainstays of my collection since. I agree that they have been hit and miss as of late, but I also have faith in what they can be because what they were was what got me interested in all of this to begin with.
That being said, with how quickly PNSO has been pumping out new figures, I'm welcoming a smaller year from other brands so I can play catchup with PNSO.

Syndicate Bias

Like I said, I talked with some of the people that spoke to me of their 2020 line up before it was revealed and as far as they're concerned nothing is concrete until they have an official word from Papo about 2021. That being said Papo wants to give their current 2020 line up more time to run because of poor sales this year.

There may be something for 2021 or maybe not until Papo says otherwise.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: