News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Those of you wishing for some dinosaurs may be want to be carful what you wish for.

They could slap you with repaints of exsiting figures ;)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2020, 01:07:26 AM
Those of you wishing for some dinosaurs may be want to be carful what you wish for.

I want a dunkleosteus (not a dinosaur), a majungasaurus, so I can use it as a rajasaurus, and a accurate stegosaurus

terrorchicken

birbs are nice...is that a great blue heron?

did they really just repaint their brown bear into a black one? Why do they keep doing this?

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'll be getting the megalodon for sure since it's a lot better than the others out there, though I'm more excited for the modern animals.

Canada goose and great blue heron are great. Both are very common where I live and few if any have been made. That Papo came out with them before Safari is interesting though given their nationalities. I'll be sure to pick up the emus as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Syndicate Bias

This is Papo's best year yet!

JimoAi

The Megalodon is a cash grab

Gwangi

I believe the heron is a grey heron, not a great blue.

JimoAi

The megalodon doesn't even pass off as an extant white shark due to the large 2nd dorsal fin

triceratops83

Aside from wildcards like PNSO, this is going to be a pretty lousy year for prehistoric figures from the major brands. I guess CollectA wins, but even then their theropods are a step down from the wonderful Allosaurus they released this year. And Safari definitely has quality over quantity, but not much in the way of choice. This seems like a pretty weak offering from Papo. And what's left, Mojo? Not expecting much there, either.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Libraraptor

suspsy

That's probably exactly what they're doing. I'd be shocked if the Triceratops isn't finally getting a repaint. Same with the Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Subduction

I was beginning to wonder whether Papo was going to reveal their figures for next year or not.

I don't think I'll be buying any of these though. I don't collect extant animals or juveniles, although that smilodon cub is tempting.

Even though we haven't seen any, I'm still gonna be hopeful and pray that we get at least one dinosaur. ;w;

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on December 23, 2020, 11:59:07 AM

That's probably exactly what they're doing. I'd be shocked if the Triceratops isn't finally getting a repaint. Same with the Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus.
I've been waiting for a Triceratops repaint for years, so that would be okay with me. However, I've jumped the gun and got my artist friend to do a repaint of a Papo Triceratops that I picked up from Value Village, along the lines of the box art PNSO Doyle.

DragonRider02

I am really surprised if there are indeed no dinosaurs for next  year. Even repaints would be justified in current situation. Very odd.  ???
Eh, at least more money to spend on PNSO and BotM  :P

BUT! I am INCREDIBLY excited about that Robin and Grey Heron! I absolutely loved this year's Pheasant and I am really happy Papo makes species of birds that visit my own backyard! Most companies seem to focus more on exotic species.

PrimevalRaptor

The extant species are really nice indeed, would be down to get the Robin and Heron as they are some local wildlife here.
But since my reply in the other thread somehow vanished I think, let's go anew.
Certainly let down by this, I get the year has been rough on all companies and all but at least one dinosaur (or other mesozoic archosaur) would have been nice, especially since C.megalodon is sort of a boring pick (though I hope it'll at least be fairly big). I do like Papo's sharks so I hope it'll look neat in person but I still feel something is kinda off about the jaw/mouth area.
The Smilodon cub is pretty cute, but I'm fine with my Safari one.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on December 23, 2020, 05:24:32 PM
The megalodon looks like a high definition version of Safari's, then again the excellent CollectA one can hardly be topped.
I do like the Smilodon cub, that is quite cute, a bit unfortunate that the current adult version by Papo looks like a deviantArt OC with the golden claws and all but it seems to fit with the hunting one they had before that.
Still wish Papo made a cave lion, they could make such a fantastic one.
Oh, hey Stolpergeist, long time no see, glad to see ya again. Anyways I agree with your statement about the megalodon, but I prefer this one over collectA

Faelrin

S @Stolpergeist Agree about the Cave Lion (and also due to the shortage of them as is). Would pair quite nicely alongside their Cave Bear and Megaloceros as well, I'm sure. Also welcome back.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on December 23, 2020, 06:40:47 PM
When comparing the megalodon figures directly, the reason why I prefer the CollectA one is simply the anatomical accuracy.
While both CollectA's and Papo's are more natural looking and not like PNSO's monsters, CollectA has paid more attention to what is actually known from the fossil record.
In the case of fossil sharks the jaws are the most important part as they are usually the only part that preserves.
There is thus not much to get wrong but you have to get at least that right.
CollectA's megalodon has not only the correct number of teeth but also the teeth are correctly sized.
Meanwhile Papo's megalodon seems to have teeth that are proportionally larger and thus has probably also a few less teeth.
A less blurry image may tell more but for now CollectA's seems to be still closer to the real deal than Papo's by getting something right that should be relatively easy.
There is no preserved Otodus megalodon jaw. All of them are artistic reconstructions based solely on the teeth. What we have are teeth, a few fragmented sections of vertebrae, and an as yet unpublished specimen allegedly containing a brain case and much more spinal material.

I would say the newer PNSO looks to be more accurate, though still overly similar to a white shark. Otodus m wasn't the giant it was once purported to be, and actually had extremely large teeth for its size. The CollectA has teeth that are much to small proportionally, and looks more like the ludicrous 70+ foot reconstructions scaled from just the teeth that are now heavily debunked (50 feet is considered the upper reasonable estimate based on more complete remains). PNSO's newer model also has bulkier proportions, which is more true to the animals closer relatives like mako and particularly porbeagle sharks.

Duna

A very nice new member for the Lion Guard ...

Let's wait for the dinosaur figures ...  ::)

Ivántirrophus

Are there no dinosaurs next year?  My wallet is happy and angry  ;D >:(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: