News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First Figure?

Started by Avian, January 24, 2021, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avian

Back from a brief hiatus in posting :). What was your first figure?

Mine's the Battat Cryolophosaurus.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I don't know what my first figure as a child was, but my first figure as an adult is the Papo feathered Velociraptor, which is now one of the very few Papo dinosaurs I still have left. I replaced most fo them with better representations of real animals.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

CityRaptor

Overall? Some Cheaposaur, probably fromJaRu
First "serious" figure? Dino Riders Torosaurus.
First of those currently in collection? Jurassic Park Young Tyrannosaurus Rex
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

Jurassic Park 1993 Dilophosaurus
Followed by a rev-up orange Velociraptor that I lost the very next year (If anyone can help me track it down, please do)
And the AAA Minis set baggie of Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, Edmontosaurus, Triceratops, Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus, which I still own. I would like to own the second set.

Stegotyranno420

First overall: either a set of minature cheaposaurs with a red theropod, a blue stegosaurus, and panda colored raptor, a green chubby ceratopsian, or a pink and blue colored tyrannosaurus from Boley, not sure

First Non cheaposaur: the safari ltd dunkleosteus, which was a gift from a friend and one of the only pre-2017 figures i still have, because thats when i had to donate 90% of all my figures. The first one i bought was the (looking back, super Ugly) amazing Schliech giganotosaurus from 2014 i guess.

First serious figure: when i started collecting again in 2019 i found some cheaposaurs to repaint for my Birthday, and in early 2020 i won those Mojo figures from a giveway.

Lanthanotus

I think the very first dinosaur I got was the Schleich Mini Ursaurier together with a lot of other minis when I was 3 years old (back in `79),
but the real first one I remember playing with and being attached too was the Bullyland Mini Plesiosaurus in between `82 and ยด85 somewhat.

Nimravus

From my collection the first one that I bought was the Papo standing green T-rex, but I had four UKRD before, the Stegosaurus, T-rex, Brachiosaurus and Trike, that I found later in a box.

Andre

Lynx

My first figure was a brachiosaurus with no labeled brand. As for my collection the first figure I got was the Battat Terra Amargasaurus (the most recent one).
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

My first figures were actually some UKRD models, I think the Apatosaurus, Dimetrodon, Ankylosaurus, Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus my mum brought home from her office when I was two or three years old, she still likes to joke that she didn't know what avalanche she started with that.

Pachyrhinosaurus

My first proper figures were the Wild Safari triceratops, utahraptor, pteranodon, and brachiosaurus. I got them in second grade for a shoebox diorama. Prior to that, I had some smaller toys that included Marx knockoffs.

EDIT: Having gone through old photos recently, I actually received a pair of Carnegie mammoths as a birthday gift the year prior. I remember I wanted elephants, but the store near me had no modern elephants, only mammoths, so that's what I asked for.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Bread

First dinosaur toy, when I was a child, was the Carnegie 1998 Tyrannosaurus rex, I believe that is the year but it was similar to the 10th Anniversary. Sadly, I no longer own that figure, it was severely played with and damaged. I remember the teeth on the figure were nearly gone. Shame I was so rough with it, but I guess you could say I loved the figure so much at the time.

My first figures in my collection were Safari's Yutyrannus, Sauropelta, and Nasutoceratops. They were ordered and shipped all together. I still currently own them, and they will never leave my collection.

Dinoguy2

My first-ever dinosaur figures were these, the original Bullyland dinosaurs. I got this set when I was about 4.

My first "real" figure that I personally viewed as more of a museum-quality replica rather than as a "toy" was the Carnegie Pteranodon which I got at a tiny hobby shop basically run out of some guy's garage when I was 7 or 8. I wanted more obviously but my parents would only let me buy the cheapest one and I guess they hadn't released the Dimetrodon yet. I got back into dinosaurs when Jurassic Park came out and gradually caught up on the rest of the Carnegie line between around '93-'95. This was the first time I was consciously trying to collect a full set of something, rather than just winding up with everything from gifts etc. like with DinoRiders and Playskool.

I don't count Playskool dinosaurs and DinoRiders since those are more action figures but I collected pretty much all of those before I started on Carnegie. I also had a bunch of Laramie, MPC, and Imperial dinosaurs around that time in the mid-80s.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Roselaar

Imperial T-Rex and Triceratops for me.

ceratopsian

It seems a very long time ago, though it wasn't really.  As an adult, my first figure was the Carnegie Oviraptor back in July 2015.  I convinced myself that I just wanted to see the sort of thing that was available these days to the dinosaur lover!  It was an immediate addiction and I quickly bought a lot more, especially as I knew that the Carnegie line was being discontinued.  But as a child, I had three plastic kits that my father made up and painted for me - they must have been a Christmas present or something: a Triceratops, Brontosaurus and a Tyrannosaurus rex.  That would have been sometime in the 1960s.  I guess they were eventually despatched to a jumble sale. 

Gwangi

As a kid, it was these AAA toys. Not my picture, I don't have my childhood collection anymore.

As an adult collector, it was these guys. The Safari Brachiosaurus, T. rex, Spinosaurus, and Stegosaurus. The Invicta Stegosaurus. And the Dakin JP Triceratops, T. rex, and Dilophosaurus keychain. This was about 10 years ago now and also about the same time I joined the forum. I don't display the Brachiosaurus, T. rex, and Spinosaurus anymore, I gave those to my daughter. But the rest continue to sit on my shelf. I'm still quite fond of that Safari Stegosaurus, as dated as it may be.

Fenestra

After seeing the live show "Walking with dinosaus" when they were on tour many years ago,
I was so impressed that when I came home I immediately ordered the Papo running T-rex.

Faelrin

First dinosaur toys I actually have memories playing with were probably the Primal Rage ones. I think at the time Diablo, Talon, and Vertigo were my favorites. Other then those I can also recall playing with a bucket of small dinosaur miniatures (and Dimetrodon, Woolly Mammoth, and Smilodon) that came with plastic rocks, trees, and a volcano.

When I got back interested in dinosaurs, etc it was around the time Jurassic World was coming out. I think my father picked up two of those mini tubes from Walmart as a birthday gift. I think the things I actually picked out fot myself first was the Ankylosaurus, Stegoceratops (brown), and the Mosasaurus or the chomping T. rex. Granted yes I was extremely disappointed by the screw holes and bad qc mostly, but since they were for the most part readily available they were easy to get my hands onto.

2016 came and then the Beasts of the Mesozoic kickstarter went up, and those were the dinosaur action figures I was waiting for. And then I joined the forum here shortly after the JP Legacy forums shut down. I think from there I got the Battat Tyrannosaurus and Parasaurolophus, and then eventually some Safari Ltd figures after checking out the new for 2017 stuff and getting introduced to them, and the collection has since expanded and grown in ways I couldn't have imagined back in 2015.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dusty Wren

I don't remember what my first ever figure was, because the dinos I had as a kid were mostly inherited from my older brother. My mom used to pick up random grab-bags of dinosaur toys at yard sales, so I think they were mostly a mix of cheap no-name figures and some Carnegies.

As an adult, my first figure was a Carnegie Microraptor that I bought at the Field Museum gift shop during a road trip. It had those striking phoenix colors, and I had never owned a feathered dinosaur before, so I had to get it. I will always have a soft spot for it because of the nostalgia, but I've been thinking I need a more up-to-date Microraptor for my collection. Would you guys go with the Safari, Collecta, or PNSO Microraptor? Scale doesn't bother me, I just want something reasonably accurate that will look good on the shelf.     
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren - I think all three you mention are reasonably accurate, though some might find fault here and there.  I have all three but my personal favourite from them is the CollectA.  Generally I'm a great lover of PNSO's aesthetic, but I find their Microraptor not quite as appealing as the rest of their recent releases.  But I prefer the PNSO to the Safari on the grounds that the Safari is "flat" paint, and lacks the iridescent finish of the other two.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 25, 2021, 03:10:24 PM
I don't remember what my first ever figure was, because the dinos I had as a kid were mostly inherited from my older brother. My mom used to pick up random grab-bags of dinosaur toys at yard sales, so I think they were mostly a mix of cheap no-name figures and some Carnegies.

As an adult, my first figure was a Carnegie Microraptor that I bought at the Field Museum gift shop during a road trip. It had those striking phoenix colors, and I had never owned a feathered dinosaur before, so I had to get it. I will always have a soft spot for it because of the nostalgia, but I've been thinking I need a more up-to-date Microraptor for my collection. Would you guys go with the Safari, Collecta, or PNSO Microraptor? Scale doesn't bother me, I just want something reasonably accurate that will look good on the shelf.     

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: