News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 17, 2021, 09:16:37 PM
Great working on correcting the arms of both those figures, looks very nice and natural
Thanks, it certainly serves to make them more relevant to my collection.

Bokisaurus

Nice doctoring of those Papo figures 😃
Despite its age and many flaws, that Allosaurus is still one of my favorite figures from Papo😃

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 17, 2021, 10:28:38 PM
Despite its age and many flaws, that Allosaurus is still one of my favorite figures from Papo😃
Thank you. Regarding Al, it's interesting to note that he received a very positive review when first appearing on the DTB, even being considered as the best mass-produced dinosaur toy ever made (at that point in 2008). All things considered, it's still a worthy part of a collection, and certainly merited the corrective measure of supinating the hands.

SidB

Finally, for now, the last of the Papo dinosaurs that I wanted to modify at this time was the Styracosaurus. The issue of the neck length aside, the concern with the figure has been that the single nasal horn curves backwards, which is incorrect. This was easily corrected with the hot water treatment, though several were necessary, as the initial orientation of the plastic proved rather more stubborn than expected.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on July 18, 2021, 01:09:12 AM
Thank you. Regarding Al, it's interesting to note that he received a very positive review when first appearing on the DTB, even being considered as the best mass-produced dinosaur toy ever made (at that point in 2008). All things considered, it's still a worthy part of a collection, and certainly merited the corrective measure of supinating the hands.
Really! I wish I was active there at that time, but I'd be too young. I still can't believe that at some point people here were fine with the osteoderms, spines, and Draconic look

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 18, 2021, 02:17:33 AM
Really! I wish I was active there at that time, but I'd be too young. I still can't believe that at some point people here were fine with the osteoderms, spines, and Draconic look
That's the great advantage of having the historical record of not only the Forum but the archived old Forum, not to mention the contents of the Blog as well - we can revisit the past, with some of its attitudes, perspectives and hopes/ dreams too. It's a wonderful record to mine and explore, for sure.

SidB

It's been a couple of months and I have another modification of an older Papo figure to introduce, their not-so-famous Amargasaurus. Hardly a show-stopper, it accumulated a mere 2 1/2 stars on the DTB, and while highly anticipated, it proved a major disappointment to many, a not uncommon phenomenon with Papo releases past. I delayed dealing with this figure, not being sure what to do with it. Finally, with the acquisition of PNSO's Amarga, I had an idea - to convert the Papo so as to make it into a somewhat similar companion. Here it si, side-by-side in one of my dioramas, along with the PNSO mini, in a family grouping.

You'll notice that the PNSO Amargasaurus has had it's outer forelimb digits repainted back to the original prototype's format (only the thumb law painted: the factory had erroneously decided to paint all of these digits). Also, I had to decide what to do with the solitary "unicorn" spine at the front of the double rows of spines on the neck of Papo's model. Even though more correct, apparently than the PNSO's lack of one (two consecutive single ones seems more accurate, I believe), I elected simply to copy the PNSO format for the sake of uniformity, removing it and substituting two anterior spines , side-by-side, each connected wvia a sail piece to the two rows to the rear. Finally, I chose to have the sails cut down to the level of the PNSO figure, for the sake of likely accuracy in this respect, and conformity to the PNSO. The paintwork is somewhat brighter that the PNSO's, but has a general similarity so as to unify the presentation.

Fenestra

They look good together! The small color difference doesn't bother me much.
You can pretend that, like giraffes, when they age their spots get darker and darker. So that makes the Papo one a juvenile and the PNSO an old mature Amargasaurus.

SidB

Quote from: Fenestra on September 25, 2021, 01:45:58 PM
They look good together! The small color difference doesn't bother me much.
You can pretend that, like giraffes, when they age their spots get darker and darker. So that makes the Papo one a juvenile and the PNSO an old mature Amargasaurus.
That's a neat idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

Bokisaurus

Wow, you created a Cinderella!😃 love the colors on the repaint, very striking and looks good on the figure.
Yeah, that poor amarga was such a letdown 🤣 I got one just because amarga is my favorite sauropod and was hoping to eventually warm up to it, but years later, nothing. It's now destined to be culled off from my collection.

The cool thing about repaint is that you can decide which reason the difference are, could be age or gender 😃

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 25, 2021, 05:59:45 PM
Wow, you created a Cinderella!😃 love the colors on the repaint, very striking and looks good on the figure.
Yeah, that poor amarga was such a letdown 🤣 I got one just because amarga is my favorite sauropod and was hoping to eventually warm up to it, but years later, nothing. It's now destined to be culled off from my collection.

The cool thing about repaint is that you can decide which reason the difference are, could be age or gender 😃
That's right, gender is another option. Well, also, you paint sauropods, don't you. Maybe that's a possibility rather than the cull?

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 18, 2021, 02:17:33 AM
Well, on the "Draconic look", it's an interesting comment, avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 , even then I thought that Papo's interpretation was more than a bit exotic and not a mainstrean, accuracy-focused sculpt. It had (has) very good production values, and their interpretation was a possibility, though not not a probability. I certainly welcomed Watson's Safari sculpt, though that was many years down the road. Back in the day, so to speak, my favorite was the Favorite 2004 sculpt.

Halichoeres

Much improved! Funny how nearly every company manages to get something wrong with the Amarga (spines, sail, toes). This is a really nice paint job, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 06, 2021, 05:49:57 PM
Much improved! Funny how nearly every company manages to get something wrong with the Amarga (spines, sail, toes). This is a really nice paint job, though.
it was sort of bizarre to choose the incorrect spine arrangement so as to co-ordinate with the PNSO model. Oh well ...

SidB

Here I'm returning to the Papo Allosaurus for a go-around. Below is a picture of the Allo after the hands have been supinated, undoing the jarring pronation of the original. Exacto knife, two brass rods, a hand-drill and crazy glue sufficed to complete an easy job. I decided to go further. You'll noticed that the original has the head glued onto the neck, leaving a visible seem. That had to go. Then, obviously, the factory painting of the head and neck, where the two are fused, don't match, necessitating  a repaint to blend the two. Finally, the dental work, to transform the pearly whites into a more realist tooth color. The next set of pictures illustrate this change.

Second round of changes:

On the prowl:

Shonisaurus

That allosaurus Papo with your new look makes him a super attractive figure. My congratulations, for what you comment, the job of changing the appearance of a figure requires a lot of sacrifices and a lot of work.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , I appreciate your comments; myes, you have to set your mind to plan out and get the job done, but that's part of the enjoyment too, I'd say. One thing that I noticed in these pictures - the contrast between steps one and two doesn't show as sharply as in actual life. It's quite a bit more noticeable there, before and after. It revives the old sculpt to the point that it's again worthy of being displayed.

SidB

It's been many month's since I posted a new repaint on this thread, so I think that it's high time to bring out the latest round of refreshments, so to speak. I  chose the old 2015 CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus as the first subject. This was an astonishing release at that time, many of you will remember, reviewed on the DTB by avatar_suspsy @suspsy  in his stellar review. I mention this so that you can refresh you memories by re-acquainting yourself with that piece, if you wish. From my viewpont, the chief lack was the paintwork, which seemed more than a tad unrealistic and crude. Nevertheless, I lived with that for five years until deciding to sharply modify its appearance. First of all, below is the original paint work, on the rex, displayed alongside the newly repainted Vitae 'glitter' Giganotosaurus, by way of comparison.

New look to follow ...

SidB

And here it is:

The crest has been cut down and the seams, other than that of the jaw articulation, have been milliputted in and blended. The intent has been to display her as a female, with the more flamboyant later full-sized version as dad. There are three other versions from that general time period by CollectA, and I'll show them shortly. What do you think about this outcome?

Pliosaurking

That is one fantastic repaint there S @SidB!
The colour scheme is awesome!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: