News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

UPCOMING PEGASUS HOBBIES TREX/TRIKE AND MORE, BY GALILEO, SHANE FOULKES

Started by Simon, October 17, 2012, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeetrex

I will bump this thread forever until we find out if the Lio will be released or not, I'm running out of dinos to paint/customize! Need a low cost fix and the Pegasus models hit that.

Viking Spawn

Dobber

I was just thinking about the Lio yesterday wondering what happened to it.  ???

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tyrantqueen

The Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus were hugely delayed. I can't remember how long it took but it was possibly a year or more. Might as well prepare yourself for waiting.

Dan

The Pegasus Liopleurodon by Shane Foulkes has been indefinitely delayed. The larger resin version is currently available, however:

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/liopleurodon-resin-kit-by-foulkes/

Blade-of-the-Moon

yankeetrex

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 22, 2016, 07:28:54 PM
Given the choice I'd go with the resin one myself.

I'd do the same, but the Pegasus kits were so affordable, damn that news sucks.....

Blade-of-the-Moon

They might have been too affordable. I recall in the past vinyl dino kits were a bit more expensive. :/

modelnut

Quote from: Dan on January 22, 2016, 06:16:14 PM
The Pegasus Liopleurodon by Shane Foulkes has been indefinitely delayed. The larger resin version is currently available, however:

Sadly, Pegasus has me hooked on 24th scale now. 20th is acceptable. But 15th is just too big. I'm having enough trouble finding room for my 24's.  :(

-Leelan

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dan on January 22, 2016, 06:16:14 PM

Why does it take this company so long to get their kits out? Maybe I'm too used to dealing with kits made by independent artists.

modelnut

I love Shane's kits and his sculpts. But my budget can't afford them. I really wish Pegasus would get with the program and release that Liopleurodon!  :-\

- Leelan

pylraster

Definitely eyeing that trike. Not too keen on the rex... it looks very off to me. And not fan of the pose too.

modelnut

I am having a lot of trouble with the Pegasus T rex. Its legs and ankles are too weak to support it's weight. Of course I didn't find this out until it was assembled and painted. I tried to pull it apart and start over. But the tight fitting pieces combined with the super glue make that impossible. So I pinned the hell out of its ankles. But it still starts to bend forward after three days.

So after another session of pinning (which still didn't help) I decided that I will just put a prop under its chest that I can take out when I want to show it off. The beast is sitting in primer right now after the second surgery. I will see about repainting it soon.

Apparently Pegasus learned something from this kit. The Spinosaurus came with a proper peg to secure its foot solidly to the base. And the joints are considerably beefier than those of the T rex. Spino has been holding his pose steady for about a year while waiting for me to paint him and sculpt him a proper dinner of Onchopristis --- Spinosaurus and Xiphactinus audax never met in real life. They lived thousands of miles apart and million of years as well.

- Leelan

Simon

Beautiful paint up of that TRex!  A++++

Thanks for the "heads up" about its feet.  I am going to be taking a crack at this one and the Triceratops in the coming year.  But I'm likely to change them into a much more radical pose ...

Dobber

Beautiful Rex! I have a built one too but I still haven't finished the baby trike prey. Did you not want to pose it on the prey? Perhaps that's why it was having issues since the Prey helps it stand more upright.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Simon

I don't think it has anything to do with the prey, just that the vinyl the ankles are made from isn't strong enough to hold up the body without bending long-term (if you live in a colder climate you may not have this problem) ...

modelnut

I didn't want to have the juvenile Trike under the T rex's foot. I repaired the foot print in the kid's side. Now I just need to figure out how to paint it. Even as a juvenile this youngster was as big as a rhino. So a fawn's coloring and spots would not make sense unless it was a newly hatched baby Trike which it isn't. Still it should be distinctively different from the adult Triceratops. I have no clue. It's been waiting in primer for a year at least.

I also agree about the T rex model and the choice of material. A vinyl joint this thin just won't hold up. In fact,  Martin Garratt himself told me that he pins resin kits with joints this thin. The best bet is to cut the legs in half from thigh to toe. Cut a channel for a metal rod that you have bent to shape. Then glue the leg back together around the steel rod. I would have done this but I didn't know at the time. Now I can't pull the legs away from the body. The joints and CA glue are too strongly bonded.

- Leelan

Tyto_Theropod

I'd say make the baby similar to the adult, but a bit duller. For example, if you have a brown body and red frill on the adult, you could have slightly less saturated brown and a matching, or even a paler frill on the juvenile. Quite often animals will develop display colours when they are fully grown and are ready to breed. Just an idea.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

nwfonseca

Have you considered using epoxy sculpt or some other filler in the leg in addition to the rod? You could fill in the legs and foot with filler "i.e. epoxy sculpt or something similar"  and the rod and then glue up the leg. Once the stuff hardens, with the addition of the rod it would be pretty tough. You could then use the epoxy sculpt to clean up the join.

Good luck!

Simon

Quote from: nwfonseca on August 20, 2016, 01:20:50 AM
Have you considered using epoxy sculpt or some other filler in the leg in addition to the rod? You could fill in the legs and foot with filler "i.e. epoxy sculpt or something similar"  and the rod and then glue up the leg. Once the stuff hardens, with the addition of the rod it would be pretty tough. You could then use the epoxy sculpt to clean up the join.

Good luck!

Despite being vinyl, these Pegasus models are SOLID, not hollow.  So you can't fill them up.  They are as heavy as resin (hence the problem with the TRex's ankles handling the weight.)

Therefore either a prop under the stomach, or a wire inserted into a hole drilled through the entire leg are the solution.  Still undecided how I'm going to do mine (which will be on one leg with the other one modified to be in the air...)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: