News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

UPCOMING PEGASUS HOBBIES TREX/TRIKE AND MORE, BY GALILEO, SHANE FOULKES

Started by Simon, October 17, 2012, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

Love the colors you chose for it--the pinkish-white underbelly and face look very lifelike and blend with the gray on the body well. And that yellow frill is eye-catching!
Check out my customs thread!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Dusty Wren on December 24, 2021, 03:28:34 PM
Love the colors you chose for it--the pinkish-white underbelly and face look very lifelike and blend with the gray on the body well. And that yellow frill is eye-catching!

Thank you dusty wren, I can't wait to get back to this in a few days when everything settles back to normal.  The base coat and the olive are just rattle can rustoleum paints from home depot.  The rest is just hand painted acrylic paints that found their way to our house.  I think my sister (a teacher) one of her colleagues from her school gave to them to her years ago and she gave them to me, there's a bunch of glitter paints in the set, LOL!!!  I probably should invest in some better paints but I'm still building up my skills.  I think this is only like the 6th dinosaur I've ever painted so slowly learning some of the basics, on this occasion I borrowed heavily (copied) from some folks online.  I took different things I like from the different paint jobs and combined them on this thing.  It's been really hit and miss for me on these dinosaurs, I have 2 that I kind of like how they turned out but for the most I'm not terribly happy with the rest. 

Merry Christmas and thanks for the kind words!

paintingdinos

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 24, 2021, 09:38:57 PM
Quote from: Dusty Wren on December 24, 2021, 03:28:34 PM

Thank you dusty wren, I can't wait to get back to this in a few days when everything settles back to normal.  The base coat and the olive are just rattle can rustoleum paints from home depot.  The rest is just hand painted acrylic paints that found their way to our house.  I think my sister (a teacher) one of her colleagues from her school gave to them to her years ago and she gave them to me, there's a bunch of glitter paints in the set, LOL!!!  I probably should invest in some better paints but I'm still building up my skills.  I think this is only like the 6th dinosaur I've ever painted so slowly learning some of the basics, on this occasion I borrowed heavily (copied) from some folks online.  I took different things I like from the different paint jobs and combined them on this thing.  It's been really hit and miss for me on these dinosaurs, I have 2 that I kind of like how they turned out but for the most I'm not terribly happy with the rest. 

Merry Christmas and thanks for the kind words!

We're always our own worst critics! You're taking a good approach- build up to things, don't go all in right away. Made that mistake more than a few times.

This is looking great so far and I look forward to seeing your progress on both models.

CARN0TAURUS

I had a couple hours to fool around today and I'm happy I didn't touch the triceratops which I'm okay with the direction that one's going in.  It didn't help that I was hungover. :))

This is what I was talking about hit and miss with this T-rex definitely headed for new primer as soon as the weather permits.  Mind you, after I put primer on the T-rex I realized it needed more putty in the joints so this was an attempt to take a shortcut and experiment with some different colors.  I was going to re apply primer after resculpting the joints anyways. 

In my zeal to make sure that the T-rex stood out next to the triceratops I went full blown clown mode, LOL.  The idea in my head sounded better than what it ended up looking like.  Hopefully the sun will come out in the next couple of days and I'll reapply primer and take a safer approach ;)

CARN0TAURUS

Over the last three weeks I repainted the T-Rex from the ground up, new primer, new two tone base, and then the dark red/brown camouflage patterns, I did keep a tiny piece of orange on the top of his head.  For the pattern I used my PNSO Connor the Torvosaurus as guide with some minor mods to the design.  All the detail is missing on the T-rex, eyes, mouth, teeth, nails, etc...  some of those are missing on the Triceratops too.  Painting those details and working on the base is the next step, and then I'll finish up with some pigments for weathering.

CARN0TAURUS

Something happened with the T-Rex, it's so heavy that it has started to fall forward on it's pose even tho it's bolted down to the base.  So now instead of his mouth hovering menacingly above the frill/neck area he rests his mouth on top of the frill of the triceratops.  So it's already making contact as if it already initiated it's bite.  My big concern here is that the teeth are going to warp.  I don't have an issue with the triceratops helping the t-rex maintain it's pose but how will the mouth look in a year or two?  The concerning thing is that the temperature has been really cold so warm weather has not played a role yet.  I might have to consider adding a metal rod from the base into the T-rex's chest to help keep him from getting worse.

BlueKrono

Not sure what you mean by bolted to the base, but it should be pinned with a sturdy metal rod. Then it would be almost impossible for it to slouch.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 14, 2022, 08:52:20 PM
Not sure what you mean by bolted to the base, but it should be pinned with a sturdy metal rod. Then it would be almost impossible for it to slouch.

I went beyond using rod for securing these dinosaurs on the base.  I have leftover drywall screws in my hardware drawer from a previous home improvement project so it occurred to me to use them since they are designed to create maximum grip inside a soft material.  A regular screw might deform the dinosaurs leg or split it apart, but drywall screws are so thin and have those very fine threads so I tested this out on a $8.99 bootleg about a year ago and it works like a charm, you pre drill the leg with a 1/8 drill bit or smaller depending on the figure, you countersink the backside of the base and the screw does the rest.  They grab on to the PVC so hard that I'd probably have to rip the leg apart to remove them manually from the base.  And just like pegs, the screws can be removed time and time again when storing the figure separately from the base.  But unlike pegs, you can use the force of the grip of the drywall screwws to make adjustments to the pose of the dinosaurs legs without weaking the temper on the PVC by using hot/cold water over and over. 

The T-rex is a very heavy chunk of vinyl and even with the temperature being cool the leg that's stepping forward must've bowed a tiny bit under the weight, I'm talking about 1.5-2.5mm but it was enough to bring the two figures into contact with one another, the triceratops will hold the T-rex from drooping further but what if it bends the teeth out of shape?  IDK what'll happen down the road so I'm wondering if I should be proactive and simply drill a rod into the T-rex chest to keep him off the triceratops altogether?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.