You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Just seen the JWD Pyroraptor through a toy leak, My heart has shattered.

Started by Reuben03, March 01, 2021, 11:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Thats good news. The horn sounded too similar to the ceratosaurus.

And yeah, that chart is outdated. Might make an updated one just for fun tonight.
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 02, 2021, 12:42:21 AM
Quote from: Reuben03 on March 02, 2021, 12:31:49 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 02, 2021, 12:23:32 AM
I actually really like that baby Pyroraptor design.

Expect something out of character and you will be disappointed. They weren't going for "documentary" they were going for "stylistically distinct from InGens dinosaurs", and I think they pulled that off well with a cool looking creature design.

Do the plushies look kind of like Monster Hunter icons to anyone else?
they're apparently biosyns animals! and its just annoying they cant go all the way, i just want to see accurate wings!
That is far from confirmed.

There have been statements implying these would be "dinosaurs made by rival companies". More likely to be Manticore, which has been established as the Biosyn equivalent for the film canon.

Biosyn was seemingly scrapped from ever returning in the films based on who they cast as Dodgson. Can't exactly bring him back and if they did I should hope it would not be taken well.

Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2021, 12:34:08 AM
It's entirely possible that Mattel's design does not 100% reflect what we'll see in the movie. The Battle at Big Rock Allosaurus had inward facing palms, yet the toy had them pronated to serve the action gimmick. Since these are more "cartoony" products, there's an extra element of stylization present.
Yes, these figures are meant to be babies. And the plushies and stickers seem based on very basic early concept stills.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:37:32 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 02, 2021, 12:23:32 AM
I actually really like that baby Pyroraptor design.

Expect something out of character and you will be disappointed. They weren't going for "documentary" they were going for "stylistically distinct from InGens dinosaurs", and I think they pulled that off well with a cool looking creature design.

Do the plushies look kind of like Monster Hunter icons to anyone else?

Eh, I don't know.
The problem is that this is now what the general public will think feathered dinosaurs look like.
Similar to frilled Dilophosaurus and Swiss cheese Sinoceratops, the latter having made it into the last Doraemon movie.
This is the layperson's first exposure to Pyroraptor outside of Pod and I don't think the majority of Jurassic World's audience has seen Dinosaur Planet.
The overall design makes me recall this parody graphic by Mette Aumala from 2014, up to the parrot feathers.

Not to mention Universal's decision to give Giganotosaurus a nasal horn.
Regarding the Monster Hunter resemblance I see it too now that you've mentioned it, it's the angular stylization.
It's quite a bit better than that. Even from this cutesy baby design we can see it has proper feathers over the entire body, and a well made tail fan. The wrists also aren't pronated. The figure frankly looks very different from the sticker design.

From what I've read and heard Dodgson and Biosyn are both back, not sure where Manticore from the Camp Cretaceous series will fit in if they do. 

https://collider.com/jurassic-world-3-lewis-dodgson-campbell-scott/

From a recent image showing what I think are new Snap Squads we have the Pyroraptor, Nasutoceratops, and a horn nosed Giganotosaurus much to my disappointment. I do hope they correct that. Unless it's a juvenile with an egg tooth or something.
Spoiler
[close]

stargatedalek

Well at least he's been recast. I'd rather just drop Biosyn and Dodgson altogether since they don't even have a presence in the films (never having been mentioned by name) but at least they did that much.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 02, 2021, 02:05:05 AM
Well at least he's been recast. I'd rather just drop Biosyn and Dodgson altogether since they don't even have a presence in the films (never having been mentioned by name) but at least they did that much.

While I can understand the perspective, having read both novels as a kid I was really disappointed he wasn't in the films more. The guy is best bet for a true "villain" in the franchise.  Wu is a misdirected mad genius, Nedry was a money hungry lackey, Mills, Ludlow, none were truly " evil". Dodgson was ready to use the dinosaurs for whatever means he wanted, theme park, pets, medical testing..I would bet farming them like cattle for food, pharmacology, illegal weapons, he could do it all and smile about it.  Kind of reminds me a kids book series I've been reading, Supersaurs. Not the best name but it's a fairly good read. Uses dinosaur species living alongside man circa 1800s I think.

Primeval12

Hey, can you spoiler tag the picture? I was trying to avoid this image all day.

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:46:00 AM
You do realize that this will mean a series of pop culture depictions where it has a nose horn, right?
thank you!! you get my exact point!
i want this to start good pop culture depictions!! i want this to leave an impression on the public!!!
instead we're getting a rhinoceros iguana looking giganotosaurus and a sick pyroraptor with broken wrists.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

I mean I guess I can't be disappointed as I'm used to this now (I do play Ark after all), and have the Schleich Utahraptor in my collection, but yeah the inner paleo nerd wishes the wings were properly done, but of course research is just not done (or done well enough) for these films (genetic hybrid or not). Still this could be early designs as we saw happen with the 2018 Sinoceratops toy that was really a Pachyrhinosaurus (edit: and the Battle at Big Rock Allosaurus toy vs final film design). On the other hand I would also take this as a happy compromise as I hate when wings have only the secondary feathers, but not the primary feathers (and also attached to the second digit). Who knows maybe there will be an in-film explanation for the design as well. Regardless if the next film contributes to this, it's been a long standing issue with toys and paleo art for many years now (over a decade I think). The colors aren't too bad, but not completely what I would have went with for something named Pyroraptor, but then again concept art, and a plushy, and I'm pretty familiar with the Nasutoceratops toy's coloration being different from the film design. Already saw the pic with the Giganotosaurus a while back, but that Pyroraptor bit was blurred out.

Now in regards to this pic:
Spoiler

[close]

Considering some of these having already been spotted in Mexico and Brazil, I suppose it may be a matter of time before we see this Pyroraptor? I think it looks better here though in comparison to the plush and concept art designs (despite the lack of wings). Kind of even has a HTTYD type look to it (which naturally I'm biased towards), and the colors look better on that figure to me and may be a bit more representative of the actual design, but still the figures are pretty stylized as well.

More info on those figures here (I need to add them to my Mattel 2021 thread still):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLzgCE2FHJA/

Edit: See my post here regarding those figures for pictures of them: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9121.msg284017#msg284017

Spoiler

I guess this all but confirms the prop designs seen in Malta are not this, or is this too early yet?
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reuben03

Quote from: Faelrin on March 02, 2021, 02:47:20 AM
Kind of even has a HTTYD type look to it (which naturally I'm biased towards), and the colors look better on that figure to me and may be a bit more representative of the actual design, but still the figures are pretty stylized as well.
yooooo the pyroraptor does look like something you'd find on an island far away from berk if u follow some sketchy map u bought for cheap at the northern markets. VERY httyd

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:46:00 AM
You do realize that this will mean a series of pop culture depictions where it has a nose horn, right?
C.M Koseman might like it if it stays as a speculative bump. but I'm worried it might become more horn-like

Quote from: Lynx on March 02, 2021, 12:50:52 AM
True... oh god... I just realized how bad that could turn out...
People drawing giga with it using its horn in a fight or something like that
Im kind of worried that's what happened with me and rajasaurus. Does it actually have a horn or not. If not, i am so screwed...

Quote from: Lynx on March 02, 2021, 12:44:47 AM
Honestly I don't care if there is some random horn slapped on the nose, I just hope people know that T-rex was not the "king of the dinosaurs" and that dinosaurs like Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus exist.
Exactly. Im so tired of t rex bias. For perspective, t rex is my favorite dinosaur...imagine what the folks who hate tyrannosaurus think

Reuben03

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2021, 03:21:37 AM

Exactly. Im so tired of t rex bias. For perspective, t rex is my favorite dinosaur...imagine what the folks who hate tyrannosaurus think
LOL

suspsy

Quote from: Lynx on March 02, 2021, 12:44:47 AM
Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:42:34 AM
They'll know Giganotosaurus exists and will forever think it has a nose horn, no thanks to that.

Honestly I don't care if there is some random horn slapped on the nose, I just hope people know that T-rex was not the "king of the dinosaurs" and that dinosaurs like Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus exist.

T. rex will always retain the title of king of the dinosaurs no matter what, same as how the lion will always be known as the king of beasts no matter how loudly the tiger fans or the bear fans may complain. There's really no objective argument for or against it; it's what pop culture decreed in stone a very long time ago.

Also, plenty of people are already well aware that Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus exist. Especially the latter.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Fine. Tyrannosaurus may remain King, but just like the Bear and Tiger, Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus are now emperors ;)
And besides, other than sounding cool, it doesn't make sense to give titles to animals...

PrimevalRaptor

I hope the movie desing itself doesn't have the "JP Raptor but with feathers glued on" look, the one small toy that looks pretty covered in feathers looks really good for JP standards.
If they pull this off well, maybe this'll help people finally realize that feathered dinosaurs are not as lame as they think, I'm carefully optimistic for this.

Sarapaurolophus

At this point I expect nothing from this franchise, this way I don't get let down. My reaction to this is more of a "oh, you".

JW is all about keeping a style for the animals as if they were character designs. Think Disney's three-toed dogs with eyebrows. That's what a JW dinosaur is.

It's unfortunate mainstream audiences will take these dinos for real and assume they actually looked like that. That's a gripe I can't let go off just yet.

MLMjp

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2021, 04:39:22 AM
Fine. Tyrannosaurus may remain King, but just like the Bear and Tiger, Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus are now emperors ;)
And besides, other than sounding cool, it doesn't make sense to give titles to animals...

Wrong, Spinosaurus is a Pharaon, Giganotosaurus is a gigant.

suspsy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2021, 04:39:22 AM

Tell it to the ancient Egyptians who created a whole pantheon of gods with animal heads and traits. Or the Native Americans who hoped to embody the strength and the speed and the cunning of certain animals by donning their furs or their feathers. Or the Chinese who incorporated animals into both their martial arts and their zodiac due to their perceived abilities. We've been assigning traits and titles to animals for thousands of years and from a purely scientific perspective, it doesn't make sense. But we humans as a race are not and never will be purely scientific. Although if one does insist on getting purely technical about it, Tyrannosaurus is heavier, smarter, and more powerful than those other two theropods, which puts it in a better position than the lion!

Returning to the topic, if the JW Giganotosaurus really does feature a nasal horn, then I think that's preposterous, along with the argument that audiences wouldn't be able to distinguish it from T. rex otherwise. Just make it a vastly difference colour. Ditch the tired old philosophy started by Spielberg where all the monsters have to be dull brown or grey or green. Deck out the Giganotosaurus in vivid green with red markings like the Massive Biters Albertosaurus or in blue and grey like the Savage Strike Postosuchus and the Plesiosaurus. Give it a different roar as well. Problem solved.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PumperKrickel

Am I the only one who remembers that there's already a canonical appearance of Giganotosaurus in Jurassic World Evolution that doesn't have a nosehorn? Why would they change that? People are really overreacting just because of some supposed toy leaks.

And if pronated wrists are the biggest flaw in the Pyroraptor's design, then that would be fantastic. It's not like the mainstream audience pays any attention to wrist orientation anyway.

Gwangi

Quote from: PumperKrickel on March 02, 2021, 01:24:58 PM
Am I the only one who remembers that there's already a canonical appearance of Giganotosaurus in Jurassic World Evolution that doesn't have a nosehorn? Why would they change that? People are really overreacting just because of some supposed toy leaks.

And if pronated wrists are the biggest flaw in the Pyroraptor's design, then that would be fantastic. It's not like the mainstream audience pays any attention to wrist orientation anyway.

You are correct, and I can't imagine why they would change the design of it. And I agree with your second point as well. Much ado about nothing.

Reuben03

there is just nooooo reason not to correct an animal design that is included purely for the reason that people want a correct updated animal design!
i seriously think this is a huge mistake. i was gonna be so hyped when that pyroraptor ran on screen. I'll probably just get hungry for KFC now.

no better than a six foot turkey

..in a grateful dead shirt...

with broken wrists...

Reuben03

Quote from: Gwangi on March 02, 2021, 02:09:19 PM
Quote from: PumperKrickel on March 02, 2021, 01:24:58 PM

also wow i forgot how nice that giganotosaurus is. certainly not perfect but quite the effort. if they gave it good wrists it would probably be the highlight of the movie (that is, without a big cartoony retro ceratosaurus horn on its nose)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: