News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bandai - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, March 19, 2021, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

New set of dinosaur figures from Bandai Spirits, releasing 3 July. Considering how cool some of their recent arthropods have been, this set is really disappointing in both the boring species choices and the ca. 1995 execution.

large Tyrannosaurus

small Tyrannosaurus

Triceratops

Velociraptor

Stegosaurus

Brachiosaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

are they meant to be retro representations?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Over9K

Are these available for sale yet? Where does one acquire them?

Skorpio V.

The pronated hands irritate me for the theropods even more than the velociraptor not having feathers; I could live with the retro scaly raptor but the pronation definitely just makes it seem like they were just willfully ignorant. The triceratops definitely piques my interest most, reminiscent of Chomp from Dinosaur King (still holds a special place in my heart).
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Stegotyranno420

Even though I hate anime, Dinosaur king will always hold a place in my heart to, avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V.

And yes I agree, it's been like 20 years, unless they clearly say retro style, it gets annoying. Companies like mesozoica and rebor make excellent retro dinosaurs, that are actually marketed as such.

I mean making accurate dinosaurs is more marketable, easier(based on copyright issues if they don't have a liscence ), better lookin. Why do they always do this. And it's always the same old group. I mean, if you can't make accurate ones, at least add obscure ones, like the Battle of Giants Dinosaur Strike game did(dacentrurus, miragaia, wuherosaurus, scolosaurus, juravenator ).
But at the end, we always have guys like collectA, safari, PNSO, and recently mojo and papo hopped on the obscurity train.

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on March 19, 2021, 01:24:21 PM
are they meant to be retro representations?

That's possible, though I didn't see anything to indicate that in the ad copy.

Release date is July 3rd, and it looks like they'll be pretty broadly distributed within Japan. They might show up on HobbyLink or HobbySearch, and of course there's always Yahoo Auctions Japan.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Eocarcharia

Yay, someone else here remembers Dinosaur King!

Oh right, this is a Bandai thread. Um, not anything there that interests me, personally.

GojiraGuy1954

While I do agree that these figures aren't the best, it's unfair to call a taxon boring just because of how popular it is. Being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian isn't cool.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

I'm not saying they are not cool, they are so popular for a reason, its just there are other just as cool critters out there that could use a figure or two.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 22, 2021, 03:19:19 PM
I'm not saying they are not cool, they are so popular for a reason, its just there are other just as cool critters out there that could use a figure or two.
I mean Halichoeres. Apparently these taxa are "boring" when that cannot be further from the truth. We have so many skeletons of Tyrannosaurus in particular and know so much about it. Only thing we're really missing is the colours.

Stegotyranno420

i believe he means boring as in these taxa always keep on coming and don't stop coming, not to mention they are overdone jp versions

CityRaptor

The Raptor is more of an 90s "actual Velociraptor" than a JP Raptor. T.rex and Brachio are probably the most JP looking ones out of the bunch. Brown T.rex pose also reminds me of something else.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 I can see why you might think that I find particular species boring, but I don't. If someone really finds an organism boring--any organism!--it's generally because they don't know anything about it. Of course, it's impossible to spend any time here without knowing a great deal about several standard dinosaurs, whether you want to or not. What I find boring are species choices that keep the market homogeneous. Imagine that a radio station played the ten most popular songs of all time on rotation with no variation. Nothing wrong with the songs, but that's still a boring radio station. Imagine then that almost all radio stations did the same thing, for 50 years running. I would find that to be a boring set of programming choices; some might disagree, but it would be a very different sort of person from me, one with perhaps a low appetite for novelty. In the context of the larger dinosaur market, this lineup from Bandai is, in my opinion, almost as boring as it could possibly be.

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 23, 2021, 12:05:27 AM
The Raptor is more of an 90s "actual Velociraptor" than a JP Raptor. T.rex and Brachio are probably the most JP looking ones out of the bunch. Brown T.rex pose also reminds me of something else.

Yeah, the head is pretty different from a JP raptor. I might have even liked this figure if it came out in 1995.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2021, 06:53:44 PM
avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 I can see why you might think that I find particular species boring, but I don't. If someone really finds an organism boring--any organism!--it's generally because they don't know anything about it. Of course, it's impossible to spend any time here without knowing a great deal about several standard dinosaurs, whether you want to or not. What I find boring are species choices that keep the market homogeneous. Imagine that a radio station played the ten most popular songs of all time on rotation with no variation. Nothing wrong with the songs, but that's still a boring radio station. Imagine then that almost all radio stations did the same thing, for 50 years running. I would find that to be a boring set of programming choices; some might disagree, but it would be a very different sort of person from me, one with perhaps a low appetite for novelty. In the context of the larger dinosaur market, this lineup from Bandai is, in my opinion, almost as boring as it could possibly be.

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 23, 2021, 12:05:27 AM

Yeah, the head is pretty different from a JP raptor. I might have even liked this figure if it came out in 1995.
That's a bad comparison. Are you trying to tell me that the Rebor King T-Rex and the CollectA T-Rex are similar figures?

RobinGoodfellow

..to be honest, I think that Halichoeres told the truth..

On 2019 I tried (just for fun) to compile a thread with almost all known T rex figures:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7610.0

Probably there are Rexs for everyone..  ;)

And from 2019 there are even more Rexs on the market than in that old thread.. so...

;)  >:D

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 25, 2021, 10:24:21 AM

That's a bad comparison. Are you trying to tell me that the Rebor King T-Rex and the CollectA T-Rex are similar figures?

I mean, I guess the Rebor one is like if a popular classic were covered by Nickelback or Milli Vanilli.

Loon

To extend this analogy, The CollectA Iguanodon and Safari 2017 Tyrannosaurus are the "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" of figures, respectively. I don't know about you, but everytime they come on...it's party time.

Halichoeres

They've also got this keychain set coming out:

Shonisaurus

Why am I going to lie I really like those figures even if they are of well-known dinosaurs like the ones shown. They are very well done.

I don't know if I have asked in other threads but are those Bandai Spirits dinosaur figures made of PVC? The first tyrannosaurus figure for me shows my greatest interest along with its velociraptor. I ask if they are made of PVC because I don't think they are made of resin or polystone. These figures seem to be made of a much less noble material, but without a doubt I am very interested, especially in theropods. Are these figures made of PVC or a noble material? I try to find out about the Internet when browsing and it does not give me any information.

Halichoeres

I don't know if they're PVC specifically or another plastic like ABS, but they're intended as toys made for children. They aren't resin or some other fragile material.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: