You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geosternbergia & Citipati on its nest ADDED: REGALICERATOPS SLEEPING

Started by andrewsaurus rex, March 31, 2021, 04:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Just a couple of shots to see if I've got the hang of this picture posting thing

Geosternbergia: this is the Bullyland 'pteranodon' figure.  Lengthened beak, made the head crest larger and repainted.  Colours on wings inspired by the Wandering Albatross.  Colours on head inspired by some beautiful artwork I found online.

Citipati on nest:  this is the Schleich Oviraptor figure (which is really a Citipati) with some modifications, mostly through heating and reposing parts of it.  Nest made from sculpey, eggs are wintergreen tic tacs.  I've recently discovered the nest is not terribly accurate.....I put too much trust in artwork I saw online, it seems.  I plan to redo the nest as soon as I can definitively determine exactly what it looked like......i'm still a bit  unclear on some of the details.

andrewsaurus rex

thanks, Stego....appreciate it.  :)

Because of the overwhelming response my first pics got...lol....I decided to post a couple more.

This is the Schleich Kentrosaurus figure (the most recent one) with some mods.  I replaced the head with a smaller one and lengthened the neck a bit.  I lengthened the tail about an inch and a half, eliminated one set of plates (as there was one set too many) and moved one set of spikes back onto the lengthened tail.  Then repainted.

The ceratosaur is the Collecta Saltriovenator.  I realize that Saltriovenator didn't live anywhere near Kentrosaurus, but there were possibly two ceratosaurs that did live in Tanzania when Kentrosaurus was alive and since the true appearance of Saltriovenator is largely a guess anyway, I figured i'd use it as one of the Tanzania ceratosaurs (if there were any).  No mods to this figure, just a repaint (the idea for which I stole from the PNSO Ceratosaurus).

Please forgive the background, the pics were taken on my work bench which has a ratty old bulletin board behind it.

Stegotyranno420

Justin_

Did you sculpt the new Kentrosaurus head or use one from another figure?

andrewsaurus rex

i cut it off a small stegosaur figure I had and lengthened the neck a bit with sculpey. I'm a so-so sculptor and the head was too small for me to even attempt.  The figure I used was a cheap dollar store figure but luckily the head wasn't all that bad and a good size.

andrewsaurus rex

a pair of Safari Pachycephalosauruses duke it out.  No painting, just re-posed by heating.

upload album

Justin_

Nice. Are you going to make a base so they don't need the supports?

andrewsaurus rex

that's a good question.  I don't like bases....at all.  So I probably won't.  I was originally planning on gluing the heads together because then the piece would be able to stand on its own.  But i'm reluctant to do that because the glue joint will be weak (small surface area to glue) and I think every time I move it the glue joint will break.

I use these clear supports on some of my other figures and am very used to them.  My eyesight is not very good so from about 3 feet away I can't even see them.  I'll probably leave as is for now.  The two figures almost stand on their own, as they lean against each other for support, but the heads are just a bit too slippery.

Halichoeres

Nice customs! You might want to fiddle with the white balance on your phone/camera. The photos all have kind of a yellow cast to them, which I think obscures some of your work.

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 03, 2021, 04:18:48 PM

Because of the overwhelming response my first pics got...lol....I decided to post a couple more.

Don't worry. I think most members are allergic to responding to other people's posts (unless, of course, it's to argue about a popular theropod).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

lol.....thanks.

adjusting my phone pic quality will be a challenge.  While I may be a brilliant armchair paleontologist, lol, I am a technical zero.  I can barely right click my mouse.  However, i'll give it a go...  :)

Kapitaenosavrvs

Nice! I always love to see existing Figures, that get reworked and/or repainted. Nice job. The Saltriovenator looks so different. In a positive way. Looking forward to new Pitures in the Future :)

modelnut

I love that Pteranodon! I may have to try that for myself.

- Leelan

Quote from: andrewsaurus on March 31, 2021, 04:25:42 PM
Just a couple of shots to see if I've got the hang of this picture posting thing

Geosternbergia: this is the Bullyland 'pteranodon' figure.  Lengthened beak, made the head crest larger and repainted.  Colours on wings inspired by the Wandering Albatross.  Colours on head inspired by some beautiful artwork I found online.

andrewsaurus rex

thanks Kapitaenosavrvs  and Modelnut.  :)

I just noticed the Geosternbergia photo has a weird pinkish cast to it, most noticeable on the white wings.....I wonder what caused that?

andrewsaurus rex

Paint is still wet on this one.  BOTM Chasmosaurus repaint.  The thinking here is that Chasmosaurus, being smallish and not well armed relies on its camouflage to evade predators such as Gorgosaurus and Daspletosaurus.  When confronted by a threat, the Chasmosurs will stand shoulder to shoulder, shaking their heads, using their large frills with their eyespots (false eyes)on them  to hopefully intimidate their enemy into leaving.

Colours are dark olive drab and leaf green over a sand-grey base.  Not sure if I like this one....i'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if it grows on me and if not maybe repaint.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thats a nice idea and well executed. It does seem likely that a Ceratopsid as small as Chasmosaurus would have to rely more on other protection than larger family members. And I like how you have painted the frill "eyes"
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

andrewsaurus rex

thanks Gothmog.  I'm still not sure about the big blank area surrounding the false eyes.  I feel that it makes the frill look unfinished, but everything I could think of to paint the area around the eyes would make them stand out less and sort of defeat the purpose of them in the first place.

andrewsaurus rex

decided to fill in the blank area on the frill with camouflage, like the rest of the body.  I like it better.

Dusty Wren

I like the filled-in frill as well--it helps unify the face and makes it feel cohesive. The camouflage pattern works really well on this figure. Not only does it make sense for a small ceratopsian like Chasmosaurus to have some kind of camouflage, it also makes the joints a lot less noticeable. Nice work!

Have you noticed any paint rubbing off around the joints? I've been hesitant to repaint any of my articulated figures because I'm not sure how well the paint will hold.
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

well, to be honest, I glue the joints before painting.  I don't really play with or re-pose these figures, so I decide on what pose I want and then  glue the joints so that when I paint they won't get moved later on exposing the old paint job underneath, or rubbing off the new..  Now having said that, I just use a teeny tiny drop of krazy glue on each joint so if I ever want to, I can get the joint moving again with a bit of force.

I'm sure many will think i'm crazy for gluing but that's what I do.  The articulation is useful because it allows for a wide variety of pose options you'd never probably see on a static figure, but I don't like the articulation because of all the visible gaps in the figure, especially the mid torso joint which really disrupts the lines of the figure and to be honest, there is almost no range of motion with that joint....I've never seen the point of it.  The joints also makes repainting tougher because you really need to select schemes that have darker areas where the main joints are, in order to hide them a bit, so it reduces repaint options somewhat.  it was just a happy coincidence that the camo scheme on the Chasmosaurus also hid the joints really well....I didn't even consider that would happen before I started.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: