News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Since David has also expressed interest in a potential Saurophaganax figure; New reconstruction of Saurophaganax (middle) as a basal Carcharodontosaurid, as opposed to "Allosaurus but big".

Stegotyranno420

Do you know where I could find more about this new reconstruction.  Normal search engines are not doing any favors

Leyster

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 23, 2022, 05:58:00 AMDo you know where I could find more about this new reconstruction.  Normal search engines are not doing any favors
It's the work of some users on a DIscord server reasoning on its possible placement and appearance. There is no paper supporting its placement as Carcharodontosaurid atm.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

I hope David doesn't make a Saurophaganax anytime soon.  Its appearance is unknown and it might just be a big Allosaurus.  There are so many prehistoric animals that would be great to have from Beasts of the Mesozoic which have known appearances.  But it's David's choice of course.  I'm just sharing my opinion.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Sim on August 23, 2022, 05:55:45 PMI hope David doesn't make a Saurophaganax anytime soon.  Its appearance is unknown and it might just be a big Allosaurus.  There are so many prehistoric animals that would be great to have from Beasts of the Mesozoic which have known appearances.  But it's David's choice of course.  I'm just sharing my opinion.
I like Saurophaganax because of Dinosaur King (shocking revelation, I know), but I agree that it's far from the most interesting or unique option to make a figure of, especially with Allosaurus already on the way. So, I'm fine with that being a very long way away.

That being said, I have heard of this Carcharodontosaurid proposition before. Is there any credence to it?

Leyster

avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia Andrea Cau got that result the only time I'm aware of this genus being inserted in his matrix, but it's a blogpost more than 10 years old. Other analyses found it as closest to Allosaurus. Problem is that is a genus based on a poorly prepared fossil with bones of multiple individuals mixed together. The paper has some photos that are objectively bad, again. So it's kinda hard to say anything definitive on it.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Has David said what scale the Cyberzoic species will be in?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on August 25, 2022, 04:23:28 PMHas David said what scale the Cyberzoic species will be in?

If many of them are repainted versions of BotM figures, surely they're all 1:18?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I believe he has stated it would be in 1:18 scale a while back. Not only because of the repainted figures like T. rex, or the new Utahraptor and Achillobator, but there's also the upcoming 3.75 human figures that will be in the line as well (which some could be seen with the prototype display of the two dromaeosaurids that was at SDCC). Personally I think it's a great scale especially because it offers cross compatibility with the Mattel stuff (if perhaps unintentionally so), especially now with the new Hammond Collection stuff they are doing, which is in that scale more or less, much like the mainline.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

The updates have returned!

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioAlright, let's get back to it with a little Tuesday teaser! Here's a sneak peek at the Dilophosaurus wetherilli figures in development right now. These two releases won't just have different color designs, but will also feature different heads and necks, exploring the current speculative looks for this popular species.

David also says that for now Dilophosaurus is the only species planned for this treatment.

GojiraGuy1954

I assume lipped and unlipped? The crest on the bottom one looks more rugged too
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

It's nice to see updates but I'm sad to see the Dilophosaurus and no doubt the Cryolophosaurus will only be partially feathered.  It's such an ugly look to me.  I guess I won't get them then...

Faelrin

Hmm now I'm wondering which one I'll go with. I guess I'll need to wait to see the colorations first. Also wondering how this will size up alongside the Mattel Amber Collection and upcoming Hammond Collection Dilophosaurus. Gonna be great to have an up to date articulated Dilophosaurus in my collection, to complete with my old school movie styled ones.

Fembrogon

This reveal is sending a special chill of excitement down my spine. I've been hungering for more revamped Dilophosaurus toys; at least one of these is sure to be a guaranteed buy from me!

Sim

Now that I've had a day to think about it, I think I'll consider getting the Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus when I see the final products.  I think this because I'm planning to get the 1:18 Psittacosaurus and its tail filaments could be feathers, so that one might be partially feathered.  If I'm okay with the Psittacosaurus then shouldn't I also be okay with the Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus?  From the silhouettes I can already see the Dilophosaurus are going to be great and I would like to have great Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus figures.

On a different note, David has expressed interest in making Suchomimus, Parasaurolophus and Amargasaurus, I think for the second series of Cyberzoic.  Personally I'm very happy that Suchomimus might be made.  I need that and a Baryonyx!  avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, if I'm remembering right David specifically said that Parasaurolophus is high priority for the second Cyberzoic series.

Faelrin

Thanks for sharing that with me. I love all of those, and would love to see those get the treatment some day. I think I also recalled him discussing Amargasaurus in the one older review that he also mentioned Deinonychus and Utahraptor in. And of course as I mention it, I still want to see Deinonychus as well. Still my favorite dinosaur tied with Velociraptor.

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Sim on August 31, 2022, 05:22:15 PMNow that I've had a day to think about it, I think I'll consider getting the Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus when I see the final products.  I think this because I'm planning to get the 1:18 Psittacosaurus and its tail filaments could be feathers, so that one might be partially feathered.  If I'm okay with the Psittacosaurus then shouldn't I also be okay with the Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus? 

Hmm -- I suppose I'd more compare to something like Kulindadromeus, which is very distinct in its "partially feathered" look (though technically covered in a bizarre assortment of feather types, not all of which look like feathers).

But perhaps I'm missing something.

Dinosaurs were very weird with feathers, it seems.

If anything, the current style of partial feathering looks  like it's trying to hard to be *less* weird than what we have evidence for. Sometimes it can come off as being a bit too obviously tailored to not look TOO unreasonable for a specific modern audience. Which is a valid artistic choice, but still stands out.

Either way, it's not technically *more* speculative than an assumption of full scaliness.

In fact, one could argue that for these two species, it's less speculative to include feathers. And at that point, you can't avoid speculation that's obvious when included in our current paleoart aesthetics (as opposed to more accepted speculation like picking colors).

stargatedalek

Given we have evidence (mind, thermoregulatory evidence) for primitive, likely down-like feathers for Ceolophysis, a feathered Dilophosaurus does not seem particularly speculative.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioMaking up for a week off, today we double up on the Cyberzoic concept art! Still exploring the powerful and mysterious Desert Clan, we get a look at their scrapyard of old Earth relics, a massive Solar Farm base, a lush underground oasis, and a teleportation gateway to Earth.
Concept art by Raph Lomotan.

Sim

I like the oasis!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: