News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2022, 05:58:46 PM
I really hate how that particular reviewer keeps using the exact same two toys for size comparisons.

Agreed. Dino Scream Reviews, however, does the best comparisons I've seen on Youtube.

Stegotyranno420

I really hate how that particular reviewer keeps using the exact same two toys for size comparisons.
1.Those figurines are very popular/common choices. Even if you don't have them, you have a great idea of the scale.
2.Sometimes he does compare figures from the same companies every now and then.
3. There is a myriad of alternatives. You can ask a fellow forum member who has the figure, look at another reviewer, or you can ask A @Andysdinosaurreviews himself for another comparision.

suspsy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 02, 2022, 07:38:48 PM
1.Those figurines are very popular/common choices. Even if you don't have them, you have a great idea of the scale.
3. There is a myriad of alternatives. You can ask a fellow forum member who has the figure, look at another reviewer, or you can ask A @Andysdinosaurreviews himself for another comparision.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoxels

I agree, his reviews are very monotonous and boring. Spinodude, Killershrew, and Dino Scream are the only review channels I watch. You got the entertaining, professional, and informative.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2022, 07:40:38 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 02, 2022, 07:38:48 PM

I use those same figures as comparisons because they're popular and well known figures. Most people who collect figures can usually associate with at least one of them so it usually works as a universal comparison if you're a dino collector. I also don't like digging different figures out for every comparison because the way they're positioned on my shelves makes it quite difficult. Using the same figures as comparisons over and over allows anyone who doesn't actually have any specific figures to get an idea of the size because you get to continuously see different figures in comparison to those same ones..

However, as previously mentioned I do change it up and use different stuff for comparisons depending on the figure. I am also happy to take pictures of any comparison that a person is interested in, if you let me know.

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 02, 2022, 07:45:13 PM
I agree, his reviews are very monotonous and boring. Spinodude, Killershrew, and Dino Scream are the only review channels I watch. You got the entertaining, professional, and informative.

What exactly do you think would improve my channel, that you don't enjoy?

suspsy

They are indeed two familiar toys, but by using them in almost every single review, you make them all too familiar. And my collection is also carefully arranged and tightly bunched together on the shelves, but I still take the time and effort to get out different ones for different reviews because I know people would find it boring if I kept using the same ones over and over again. And I know this because I myself would find it boring. Indeed, I would even think myself somewhat lazy.

QuoteUsing the same figures as comparisons over and over allows anyone who doesn't actually have any specific figures to get an idea of the size because you get to continuously see different figures in comparison to those same ones.

Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of collectors who watch review videos have plenty of figures in their possession.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2022, 08:09:29 PM
They are indeed two familiar toys, but by using them in almost every single review, you make them all too familiar. And my collection is also carefully arranged and tightly bunched together on the shelves, but I still take the time and effort to get out different ones for different reviews because I know people would find it boring if I kept using the same ones over and over again. And I know this because I myself would find it boring. Indeed, I would even think myself somewhat lazy.

QuoteUsing the same figures as comparisons over and over allows anyone who doesn't actually have any specific figures to get an idea of the size because you get to continuously see different figures in comparison to those same ones.

Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of collectors who watch review videos have plenty of figures in their possession.

I agree that most do, but not everyone. I've had plenty of people compliment the consistency in my review comparisons because it helps when it comes to that consistency. However I'm not saying that's always the best way to go, and because of that, over time I've been incorporating more figures into comparisons but I don't do it in every review. Also if you watch my collection video you'll see how packed my shelves are and how complicated it can be to dig things out. With that being said I will definitely try to incorporate more figures into future comparisons to please everyone that may watch my channel. I'm always trying to improve my channel  so I appreciate the feedback.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2022, 08:09:29 PM

In my case I don't even have the two figures in question! So the comparisons are virtually useless to me, even though I do know the general size of them. A case could be made for using more and different figures too, because in doing so you're bound to compare the figure being reviewed to something that the viewer (or reader) has. My favorite comparisons are always the ones that use the same species, related species, brand, or contemporaries of the species being reviewed.

I understand the explanation but surely the best solution is to use a mix, a particular figure you use consistently as well as some variety.

stargatedalek

Don't forget about scale references!

Having even just some paper cutouts of humans in a lot of different scales would be a lot more helpful than "This is Robert Muldoon from one of the Mattel lines, hope you're familiar with action figure scales and can tell which of the lines this version is from.".

Blade-of-the-Moon

I personally have the Papo Rex here beside my computer and whenever I watch a review I can glance at it and get a general sense of size.

Skorpio V.

In his defense, the Papo rex is probably one of the most popular mass-produced dinosaur toys. The Muldoon is also in a general 1:18 scale (a human = 3.75 inches tall) which is common for toy collectors in general. I don't think it comes off as lazy, but having more comparisons as well as the "here's the obligatory x and y comparison" to be more open certainly draws in viewers as well.

More on topic, if Andy's got the Spinosaurus, does he also have the other creatures in the primary announcement like the Paraceratherium? >:D
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Shonisaurus

I am also interested in the paraceratherium video. I would like Andy to publish (if he has them in his hand) all the videos of the novelties of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Collecta. I really like that in his videos they put other past animals in the world of the toy dinosaur compared to the novelties.

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 04, 2022, 09:20:02 AM
In his defense, the Papo rex is probably one of the most popular mass-produced dinosaur toys. The Muldoon is also in a general 1:18 scale (a human = 3.75 inches tall) which is common for toy collectors in general. I don't think it comes off as lazy, but having more comparisons as well as the "here's the obligatory x and y comparison" to be more open certainly draws in viewers as well.

More on topic, if Andy's got the Spinosaurus, does he also have the other creatures in the primary announcement like the Paraceratherium? >:D

Thank you to you and the others that understand my reasoning for those particular review comparisons. I'm happy to announce though that I have begun using more figures as comparisons in an attempt to improve the quality of my reviews. If you have a chance you can check out my new review on the pnso iguanodon I posted today and you'll be able to see that I used quite a few more figures for comparisons.

Also I do have the paraceratherium and a few others and the paraceratherium review will be up tomorrow I'm hoping.

SidB

Looking forward to these, especially the Para review. A @Andysdinosaurreviews .

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2022, 10:02:34 PM
Looking forward to these, especially the Para review. A @Andysdinosaurreviews .

Thank you so much in advance for watching!!!

Faelrin

A @Andysdinosaurreviews Do you happen to have the Safari American Mastodon and/or the Carnegie Collection Woolly Mammoth? I'd love to see how this Paraceratherium sizes up with either of the two, assuming you are interested in doing so? I know the I-Toy one was way too big to be in scale or close, and based on the dimensions I'm guessing this new CollectA one will be a closer match.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I have never had any interest in acquiring a Papo Tyrannosaurus and its inclusion as a size comparison is about as relevant on my end as when commentators in strongman competitions say things like this weighs as much as a moose or polar bear.
That said I like to see in hand review of that Spinosaurus. It looks great.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Faelrin on January 04, 2022, 10:17:52 PM
A @Andysdinosaurreviews Do you happen to have the Safari American Mastodon and/or the Carnegie Collection Woolly Mammoth? I'd love to see how this Paraceratherium sizes up with either of the two, assuming you are interested in doing so? I know the I-Toy one was way too big to be in scale or close, and based on the dimensions I'm guessing this new CollectA one will be a closer match.

Unfortunately I filmed the review and mostly used other Collecta figures for the comparisons. However I can take a picture for you with the mastodon. I don't have the mammoth, or at least I don't think I do. I'll grab the picture for you in a little bit.

Faelrin

A @Andysdinosaurreviews Thank you that's understandable. I would also appreciate that. Also looking forward to checking out the review on this new Paraceratherium.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: