News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: SidB on November 29, 2021, 04:39:28 AM
avatar_Bread @Bread, I have to agree with your assertion. Papo is famous, and agree with their design approach or not, their past product line (that continues in production) is well known to a mass audience and should have enough momentum to carry them forward for a number of years into the near future. Their dinosaurs are certainly not going to disappear from brick and mortar store shelves any time soon. They haven't done a whole lot in 2021 and now 2022 to enhance their reputation, but they should be okay for a while, retail-wise, based on existing figures in production.
Yes exactly. As much as I am not a fan or collector of either companies, they certainly have spots on shelves. They're popular for sure. Plus, I never see Safari or CollectA in commom retail stores. Maybe Michael's craft store, but its only old Safari dinosaurs.

Shonisaurus

We were still pleasantly surprised when it came to Papo's protoceratops. Many figures in their promotional photos are much less graceful than seeing them in promotional videos and much less physically.

I think Papo's mosasaurus is a pretty good figure and is the best marine reptile made to date.

On the other hand, Papo's styracosaurus repainted is a cool figure, and what has been said is to be expected to see these figures on the shelves or in promotional videos before we have to premeditatedly judge. But honestly my favorite line of the classic dinosaur lines is nowhere near this year Collecta 2002.

We will have to wait for Safari to see what news they reveal.

The truth (at least for me) that Papo 2022's lineup of figures is much more interesting than that of 2021.

Szajmin

Quotea good amount of new to be released products,

Good amount in case od papo: 3 figures, including one repaint
I guess it is better than 2021: 2 figures  ::)

I can admit that before this Papo was better than Schleich in all aspects, but now Schleich just is making more interesting stuff than Papo in terms of prehistoric line. And it is not than Schleich improved so much, już Papo is not doing anything great. Maybe because of pandemic. Maybe this will change, maybe not.

I think that 2022 Schleich line-up is ok-ish at best (nothing great), but papo is just worst. I mean maybe for someone Mosasaurus is enough to call Papo better, i can understand that.

QuoteMany figures in their promotional photos are much less graceful than seeing them in promotional videos and much less physically.

Or maybe it can be the case of stygimoloch were in hand figure is much worse than pics.

Bread

Quote from: Szajmin on November 29, 2021, 09:47:13 AM
Quotea good amount of new to be released products,

Good amount in case od papo: 3 figures, including one repaint
I guess it is better than 2021: 2 figures  ::)

Yes, but it is better than none so.....
Again, this could be said for other companies, having two releases, having only one figure released, etc... is better than none.

Papo could turn around next year and decide to not release any prehistoric animals and stick to their extant animals.

austrosaurus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 24, 2021, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 24, 2021, 07:24:33 PM
It should be noted that while Schleich's prehistoric assortment trounces Papo's, the reverse is true for the extant wild animal assortments.

I think Papo truly is finished in that first realm. Sure, they'll keep on making prehistoric toys, but their glory days are extinct.
Disagree. I think when they recover from the pandemic we will go back to 2017-18 standards
2017-18 Papo was still not good

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: austrosaurus on November 30, 2021, 03:10:50 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 24, 2021, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 24, 2021, 07:24:33 PM
It should be noted that while Schleich's prehistoric assortment trounces Papo's, the reverse is true for the extant wild animal assortments.

I think Papo truly is finished in that first realm. Sure, they'll keep on making prehistoric toys, but their glory days are extinct.
Disagree. I think when they recover from the pandemic we will go back to 2017-18 standards
2017-18 Papo was still not good
I beg to differ.

2017- Acrocanthosaurus, Polacanthus, Cryolophosaurus, Dimorphodon
2018- Acrocanthosaurus repaint, Young Spinosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Amargasaurus, Iguanodon, Compsognathus, Quetzalcoatlus

I consider all of these figures to be good aside from the Amarga and the Spino
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Primeval12

Papo 2020 was good too. I like the Stygi and the Chilesaurus a lot and even the Giga has its merits (the detail, not the pose). We also have the 2019 papo spino and Pentaceratops. Both are amazing.

Carnoking

I have to agree with GojiraGuy and Primeval on that. Although I wouldn't agree that all of the mentioned figures in that timespan were great, I would say we did get some of their best original works in that time. Even the lesser ones were still head and shoulders above what we got in 2021 and what we have to look forward to in 2022.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 30, 2021, 04:40:24 PM
Papo 2020 was good too. I like the Stygi and the Chilesaurus a lot and even the Giga has its merits (the detail, not the pose). We also have the 2019 papo spino and Pentaceratops. Both are amazing.
You forgot Gorgosaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Szajmin

Chilesaurus was cool in my opinion, i bought one

But Stygimoloch... after seeing in hand reviews i decided not to buy it.

triceratops83

Minizoo's slowly compiling their various new for 2022 pages and it looks like they're still expecting a Kronosaurus...

https://www.minizoo.com.au/papo/papo-2022/

https://www.minizoo.com.au/papo-kronosaurus/
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 08, 2021, 06:10:41 AM
Minizoo's slowly compiling their various new for 2022 pages and it looks like they're still expecting a Kronosaurus...

Interesting.

Over9K

With a SKU even...

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on December 08, 2021, 05:21:43 PM

With a SKU even...
Maybe this will indeed be a limited edition figure like their Spinosaurus. But of course there is always the question of how limited? I see the Papo Spinosaurus still available most stores so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with this figure (of course if there is to be one).

SpartanSquat

I got the same vibes when Kronosaurus was leaked. But it wont be so limited like spino, because I still can see it in 2 toy shops from Madrid

Fembrogon

As long as they don't sell it in a stupidly large box, at least...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 08, 2021, 08:23:16 PM
As long as they don't sell it in a stupidly large box, at least...

Minizoo did give the option I think of having it ship without the box.

Shonisaurus

Interesting even if it is a limited edition, I will buy it I am a Papo completist. I am glad that Papo has doubled his production of prehistoric animals this next year compared to this year which was a bit weak. I can't wait to see Papo's kronosaurus promo image, I hope it rivals other toy dinosaur companies, at least it's as spectacular or even more so than his 2022 mosasaurus.

ZoPteryx

Well, looks like I'll be saving money next year.  The Mosasaurus is okay, but I think I'll stick with the PNSO and CollectA.  Shame about the Protoceratops, I had high hopes for that one.

Theriz

Quote from: Szajmin on November 30, 2021, 06:45:41 PM

Chilesaurus was cool in my opinion, i bought one

But Stygimoloch... after seeing in hand reviews i decided not to buy it.

I've actually seen the Stygimoloch in hand, and it's not for everyone. It is tiny, and at the store I was in it cost 17 US dollars.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: