News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrosaurus

I genuinely had to check so many times to make sure this actually was the Papo thread and not the Schleich. Yet more evidence that Papo should just let the prehistoric branch of the company die rather than keeping us all suffering like this.

Dinoxels

Quote from: austrosaurus on November 23, 2021, 09:32:10 AM
Yet more evidence that Papo should just let the prehistoric branch of the company die rather than keeping us all suffering like this.
Agreed.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

SidB

I might get the Styracosaurus repaint [have the original, which I prefer], straighten the horn and shorten the neck to make it more accurate. Fun project.

Reuben03

the mosasaurus is AWESOME. thats what the one in jurassic world should've looked like, not the disgusting whale sized sea croc they went with. im soooo getting one.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Over9K

So yo, the Krono from Papo is a no-go?

No bueno.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reuben03

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 24, 2021, 06:09:14 AM
Quote from: Over9K on November 24, 2021, 05:49:55 AM
So yo, the Krono from Papo is a no-go?

No bueno.

I am sad.
same :(( i was looking forward to seeing that

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

SidB

So, that being the case, Papo's prehistoric output for 2022 is really no better than for 2021. Actually, Schleich has now surpassed them.

stargatedalek

Gonna be real, ya'll are sounding a bit ridiculous. Schleich did better this year? Really? A stolen Majungasaurus design, a Styracosaurus with a huge tail, a Nothosaurus that's had its head sent through a sandwich press, an Amargasaurus that not only has sails, but adds extra ones, and a decent-ish Parasaurolophus, which has been done better by almost every major brand already... I certainly wouldn't call that better.

"Less disappointing" I can see, Schleich may have even exceeded expectations, but I wouldn't say anything they made was actually "good", let alone accurate as some here are implying. While Papo may have met or fallen short of expectations, especially from people expecting theropods.

A lot of hate on the mosasaur, but I fail to see what's inaccurate about it. Yes the dorsal fin is speculative since Platecarpus doesn't show one, but Platecarpus and Prognathodon have extremely different tail shapes, so clearly there was a lot of variation in this regard even between related species. Yes it's not snake-like, but those reconstructions always rubbed me the wrong way anyway, this looks like a shark or whale, so much more naturalistic for a large predator. Yes the raised eyebrows are a silly inclusion, but they are depicted as raised tissue, which is technically plausible (if arbitrary), and much better than shrinkwrapping (looking at you CollectA mosa).

suspsy

I too would agree that Schleich's 2022 assortment is better. Yes, the Mosasaurus is cool and all, certainly a huge improvement over Papo's previous two sea monsters, but that's the only bright spot. The Protoceratops is just plain grotesque and the repainted Styracosaurus looks dull.

Granted, Schleich's toys do suffer from the flaws that avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek listed, but they still trounce Papo both in terms of quantity, variety, and coloration.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2021, 05:17:17 PM
Gonna be real, ya'll are sounding a bit ridiculous. Schleich did better this year? Really? A stolen Majungasaurus design, a Styracosaurus with a huge tail, a Nothosaurus that's had its head sent through a sandwich press, an Amargasaurus that not only has sails, but adds extra ones, and a decent-ish Parasaurolophus, which has been done better by almost every major brand already... I certainly wouldn't call that better.

"Less disappointing" I can see, Schleich may have even exceeded expectations, but I wouldn't say anything they made was actually "good", let alone accurate as some here are implying. While Papo may have met or fallen short of expectations, especially from people expecting theropods.

A lot of hate on the mosasaur, but I fail to see what's inaccurate about it. Yes the dorsal fin is speculative since Platecarpus doesn't show one, but Platecarpus and Prognathodon have extremely different tail shapes, so clearly there was a lot of variation in this regard even between related species. Yes it's not snake-like, but those reconstructions always rubbed me the wrong way anyway, this looks like a shark or whale, so much more naturalistic for a large predator. Yes the raised eyebrows are a silly inclusion, but they are depicted as raised tissue, which is technically plausible (if arbitrary), and much better than shrinkwrapping (looking at you CollectA mosa).
Dalek W
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Yup, Schleich did better this year, and last year, and the year before. Really. And that's not even saying that Schleich's offerings are good, they're just better than Papo's. I'm not buying any of the 2022 offerings from either company except for the Nothosaurus, which is pretty bad but I just want a Nothosaurus. It will be the first Schleich toy I've bought since 2018 but the last Papo toy I bought was in 2016.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 24, 2021, 05:17:17 PM

100% agreed

suspsy

It should be noted that while Schleich's prehistoric assortment trounces Papo's, the reverse is true for the extant wild animal assortments.

I think Papo truly is finished in that first realm. Sure, they'll keep on making prehistoric toys, but their glory days are extinct.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on November 24, 2021, 07:24:33 PM
It should be noted that while Schleich's prehistoric assortment trounces Papo's, the reverse is true for the extant wild animal assortments.

I think Papo truly is finished in that first realm. Sure, they'll keep on making prehistoric toys, but their glory days are extinct.
Disagree. I think when they recover from the pandemic we will go back to 2017-18 standards
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

I think it's a little unfair to judge them "as assortments" when Schleich has made 3x as many figures. That's like saying Schleich steamrolled Eofauna and Mattel wiped the floor with CollectA, it's true, in some senses, but not exactly a level playing field right?

If you look at them individually, nothing Schleich has made this year tops the Papo mosasaur. I'd even go so far as to say if you take a third of Schleich's prehistoric offerings this year they together might not top it.

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on November 24, 2021, 07:24:33 PM

True on the second and likely enough accurate and prophetic on the first. It's not that they won't ever and can't ever produce a surprise treat for us, but I agree that the wellspring appears to have done dry, dinosaur-wise at least. I'll bet that they can delight us with an unexpected gem in the future, but the flow of dinosaur figures seem to be abated. This future seems to be here and now, as the Mosasaurus qualifies as a worthy purchase, idiosyncracies aside, as Papo has always had them.

Szajmin

Yes, schleich is better this year.

Bread

In my opinion, neither company really blew me away this year. I'll be passing on both of their lineups, possibly acquiring the Styracosaurus but definitely won't be a high priority.

I don't disagree but yet I don't agree with either argument for which company is better out of the two in terms of their 2022 lineup. I think they both produced a good amount of new to be released products, of course I may not be a fan, but others are (and I am saying this for both schleich and papo). I just think everyone needs to step back and wait for all these world issues at the moment to pass (shipping issues and supplies as an example to my "world issues" label).

Anyways, this leads me to my next point, I don't think Papo is going anywhere. I can see why some think that, but let's be honest here, Papo's prehistoric line has spots on the shelves. I see them out of stock then restocked in some retail stores near me and that should say something. They may not fly on the shelves, but I for one see that they sell, especially their Tyrannosaurus which there is even a thread dedicated to the amount of Papo products (mainly the rex) thrown in advertisements and media.

SidB

avatar_Bread @Bread, I have to agree with your assertion. Papo is famous, and agree with their design approach or not, their past product line (that continues in production) is well known to a mass audience and should have enough momentum to carry them forward for a number of years into the near future. Their dinosaurs are certainly not going to disappear from brick and mortar store shelves any time soon. They haven't done a whole lot in 2021 and now 2022 to enhance their reputation, but they should be okay for a while, retail-wise, based on existing figures in production.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: