News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Got mine yesterday, interesting  color scheme..looks nothing like a spinosaur though.

suspsy

To quote both Mark Hamill and Tig Notaro, "What a piece of junk!"
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

I simply don't understand what possesses these designers to stick some random teeth so far back in the maxilla. They did it on their Skorpiovenator and it just makes it look so cartoony and derpy in my eyes.

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on August 06, 2022, 05:27:11 PMI simply don't understand what possesses these designers to stick some random teeth so far back in the maxilla. They did it on their Skorpiovenator and it just makes it look so cartoony and derpy in my eyes.

They took the "need more teeth" line from Jurassic World too seriously.

Lynx

I like the wide range of species from Mattel, but considering just how bad most of them look, wellllll..
An oversized house cat.

Dilopho

Even though it's a pretty awful design, it still holds some charm. I know I'd like to have it. It being crouched on all fours is a bonus and helps it stand out.

Flaffy

I can excuse the Icthyovenator and Irritator's goofy designs since they're at least original (to my knowledge).
But the "Siamosaurus" is literally just ARK's Spinosaurus. I'd like to complete my Mattel spinosaurid collection, but man it's really hard to justify adding this ugly thing into the collection knowing it's nothing but a cheap lazy ripoff.

SpartanSquat

Siamosaurus is not just ark spinosaurus, mattel ampelosaurus is the ark titanosaurus

Gwangi

Wow, I had no idea about the Ampelosaurus.

CityRaptor

Eh, not completely, but I would say they took some inspiration from the Ark Titano, yes. Osteoderms are however different.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

Quote from: RolandEden on August 07, 2022, 01:06:00 AMSiamosaurus is not just ark spinosaurus, mattel ampelosaurus is the ark titanosaurus

At least the osteoderms are noticeably different. The Siamosaurus having Ark's 4 digited manus however is a dead giveaway to Mattel's "inspiration".

Nyrorosaurus

Their Ampelosaurus also seems to be based heavily on this (public domain) paleoart:

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy That's the only reason I want this abomination lol. Now if only I had a Moschops, and Yutyrannus, I'd have most of my go-to tames in Mattel figure form (excluding the Cenozoic stuff like Argentavis, Basilosaurus, etc), especially once I get my hands on the Lystrosaurus set. Actually years later and I'm still bummed Target had Moschops in their system but no figure has been made. 

I also may just pick up next year's Eocarcharia to substitute as a Yutyrannus, as aside from the head, it mostly works as one anyhow. Granted I do have BotM's shipping later in the year, for what it's worth, but I still would like to see one in Mattel's style to display alongside their other figures.

Also PNSO did a post today with art of this spinosaurid, also on all fours, and it reminded me of this figure. Similar hand posture more or less.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GiganotosaurusFan

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin you play ark?
Me too! IMO the spinosaurus is one of Ark's better designs, what with that LORGE giga and even larger Titanosaur. Just a fun fact, Moschops is USELESS on mobile, and there isn't Yuty in mobile either.
Siamosaurus looks really, really goofy. It was better in the promo pic, but this is just wrong. Why are there so many teeth so far back?
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

SpartanSquat

Other Ark creature is the Tapejara, mattel ones looks similar to dossier ones

GiganotosaurusFan

Ark is the inspiration for a LOT of dinosaur designs, Mattel not exempted.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Faelrin

avatar_GiganotosaurusFan @GiganotosaurusFan Yep I play on PC, and before I got my new laptop, I played it on my father's XBOX with gamepass.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on July 26, 2022, 05:56:28 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Bruh that's the same vibe I'm getting with some of those leaks. The fact most were unrecognizable is not a good thing to me imo. Then when we get names like Dryptosaurus (a fragmentary, but historically important dinosaur which David handled with grace in the BotM line), and Xuanhanosaurus, which is a fragmentary genus of metraicanthosaurid (and after checking theropod database only has some of the spine and arms), and I'm just thinking what and why? Granted the Xuanhanosaurus figure is nicely feathered, but I think that would fit better as a coelurosaur. It also just goes to show what a shame that the Moros didn't end up like that.

It's so weird how they're deciding which to feather. It makes no sense on Eocarcharia or Xuanhanosaurus. Meanwhile their Ornitholestes should have had some plumage.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: