News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Please have some real feel rubber skin, oh please, oh please, oh pleaseeeeee

Carnoking

I'm certainly all for more big sauropod figures but I want to see Mattel improving the formula with it. The Apatosaurus felt like one step forward and two steps back with a better sculpt but horrendous proportions and weaker articulation.

It's hard to judge anything from this photo alone but I sincerely hope Mattel will do something a bit different this time around so that it's not "just another big figure."

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on March 08, 2022, 06:32:37 PM
I'm certainly all for more big sauropod figures but I want to see Mattel improving the formula with it. The Apatosaurus felt like one step forward and two steps back with a better sculpt but horrendous proportions and weaker articulation.

It's hard to judge anything from this photo alone but I sincerely hope Mattel will do something a bit different this time around so that it's not "just another big figure."

Yeah the Apatosaurus definitely felt like a step backwards to me. The way they handled the jaw articulation was extremely awkward. Like why did they change it up from the Brachiosaurus? Where the articulation point was at the jaw hinge itself, rather than a weird midway point on the mandible. (similar reason why I'm not a huge fan of the BotM Zuniceratops, Einiosaurus, Avaceratops, Monoclonius mouth)

And like the Mosasaurus, it suffers from a gigantic head and midget tail (+short neck). I feel that even the miniature had better proportions than the large figure.

But alas, it's still commendable that Mattel is willing to take the risk to produce such huge sauropod figures. Certainly unheard of in this day and age. And judging by constant new releases in the Colossal theropod line, along with the upcoming Dreadnoughtus, it's safe to assume that these sell well enough with children and collectors alike to justify their continued production.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2022, 05:36:48 PM
I bought the CollectA pterosaurs as they are so close to life scale. I'm probably not getting that new one this year because it's smaller.. lol I totally agree, the DR Brontosaurus and Playskool Ultrasaurus were staples of my childhood, I recently just found an Ultra with box and it's sent me on another nostalgia kick.. lol

If it looks so much like that in official pics I may need to do a custom paint version for BABY.  Love that film.. "No Problem! "

Haha, it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Watching it again a few years back I couldn't believe my parents let me watch it, but those were different times.

MLMjp

I have the feeling that I might not get the Dreadnoughtus. I haven't got the Apatosaurus yet and there isn't a lot of space for big Mattel Sauropods, and I had to chose I think the Apatosaurus would be the winner since the genus is a classic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on March 08, 2022, 07:43:58 PM
I bought the CollectA pterosaurs as they are so close to life scale. I'm probably not getting that new one this year because it's smaller.. lol I totally agree, the DR Brontosaurus and Playskool Ultrasaurus were staples of my childhood, I recently just found an Ultra with box and it's sent me on another nostalgia kick.. lol

If it looks so much like that in official pics I may need to do a custom paint version for BABY.  Love that film.. "No Problem! "

Haha, it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Watching it again a few years back I couldn't believe my parents let me watch it, but those were different times.

Basically as long as it dinosaurs I was allowed...and my dad was a horror guy while mom was Scifi. It helped lol

Dame Aelis

I am still surprised than Mattel still haven't done a life size compie. It could be a reel feel one, with the same material than the Mosasaurus that they kept re-releasing each year, and won't be that bigger... This is a figure that i woul be happy to buy, and that I still hope to see.
Maybe if the species as more screen time in Dominion?

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2022, 03:14:32 AM

Basically as long as it dinosaurs I was allowed...and my dad was a horror guy while mom was Scifi. It helped lol

My dad was horror/sci fi and had no problem letting me watch anything. He had me watching Tales From the Darkside when I was 3 years old and we watched all the Universal monster and Harryhausen movies together. My mom was the complete opposite and very strict about what we watched, but she was also naïve and would let us watch things she thought were alright children but probably weren't, she rarely watched them with us. So because of her, Watership Down was my favorite movie as a toddler. lol

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dame Aelis on March 09, 2022, 01:28:22 PM
I am still surprised than Mattel still haven't done a life size compie. It could be a reel feel one, with the same material than the Mosasaurus that they kept re-releasing each year, and won't be that bigger... This is a figure that i woul be happy to buy, and that I still hope to see.
Right? Or a Super Colossal compy without the soft skin even. I'd buy like, 5 of them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on March 09, 2022, 02:44:47 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2022, 03:14:32 AM

My dad was horror/sci fi and had no problem letting me watch anything. He had me watching Tales From the Darkside when I was 3 years old and we watched all the Universal monster and Harryhausen movies together. My mom was the complete opposite and very strict about what we watched, but she was also naïve and would let us watch things she thought were alright children but probably weren't, she rarely watched them with us. So because of her, Watership Down was my favorite movie as a toddler. lol

Those were the days man. Darkside, Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone..the good stuff.  We didn't have cable so reruns or video rentals was it til I went to my grandparents...the joys of cable opened up a lot of things I'd never seen before.  Watership Down was one of those I somehow missed til I saw it referenced in Donnie Darko, then I finally saw it a couple years ago along with the remake. There is actually a sort of genre for dark animal films it seems? I went into that particular rabbit hole ( pun intended) on Amazon.

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 09, 2022, 06:35:53 PM
Right? Or a Super Colossal compy without the soft skin even. I'd buy like, 5 of them.

Hopefully Mattel will get to that point making toys we will get one of everything we can imagine. I do agree I would be making a pack of them too..was really tempted to do that with the Colossal Blue as well..lol

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2022, 06:55:23 PM
Those were the days man. Darkside, Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone..the good stuff.  We didn't have cable so reruns or video rentals was it til I went to my grandparents...the joys of cable opened up a lot of things I'd never seen before.  Watership Down was one of those I somehow missed til I saw it referenced in Donnie Darko, then I finally saw it a couple years ago along with the remake. There is actually a sort of genre for dark animal films it seems? I went into that particular rabbit hole ( pun intended) on Amazon.

They really were the days, although now we're spoiled for choice with our streaming services, which I'm not going to complain about. Still miss video rentals though. I had cable as a kid, in my own room, which allowed for a lot of self education. My mom may have worried about what I watched but not enough, apparently. Yeah, Watership Down seems to be one of those rite of passage movies for our generation. I know a fair number of kids who were traumatized by it. For me I think it just reinforced my love for animals and nature. There definitely is a genre for that sort of movie. Check out Plague Dogs if you haven't. Anyway...this is a fun topic, but I suppose it's off topic too.

I would also like a 1:1 scale Compsognathus from Mattel. Now that it has been mentioned I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on March 09, 2022, 11:28:43 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2022, 06:55:23 PM

They really were the days, although now we're spoiled for choice with our streaming services, which I'm not going to complain about. Still miss video rentals though. I had cable as a kid, in my own room, which allowed for a lot of self education. My mom may have worried about what I watched but not enough, apparently. Yeah, Watership Down seems to be one of those rite of passage movies for our generation. I know a fair number of kids who were traumatized by it. For me I think it just reinforced my love for animals and nature. There definitely is a genre for that sort of movie. Check out Plague Dogs if you haven't. Anyway...this is a fun topic, but I suppose it's off topic too.

I would also like a 1:1 scale Compsognathus from Mattel. Now that it has been mentioned I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened.

Yeah we strayed a bit OT..lol  I did watch Plague Dogs on Amazon, it was really good. Glad the ending is sort of open to interpretation. I did watch another one about an Asian fish market put me off seafood for awhile. 

I guess Compys are just not seen having enough teeth or something, they need big titans or war machines.. lol  Something more to play with.  Though I'm sure they are missing a market with not making one.  As far as Super Colossals go I think we still need a Spinosaurus, Indoraptor, and Scorpius Rex after the planned Giga and Pyroraptor.  I would also add I'd like a Dilophosaurus too.

Cretaceous Crab

I am still surprised than Mattel still haven't done a life size compie.

I actually posed this idea a while back, although it wasn't limited to JP/JW or just compies. Don't recall which thread it was.

It would be neat if any decent toy company released a "life-sized" series of mini Dino genera. Probably anything under 3 ft. And not cutsie/cartoonish baby dinos of large species. Adult, accurate figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on March 10, 2022, 12:22:24 PM
I am still surprised than Mattel still haven't done a life size compie.

I actually posed this idea a while back, although it wasn't limited to JP/JW or just compies. Don't recall which thread it was.

It would be neat if any decent toy company released a "life-sized" series of mini Dino genera. Probably anything under 3 ft. And not cutsie/cartoonish baby dinos of large species. Adult, accurate figures.

The only one that might tackle that idea anymore would be CollectA . i used to think Safari since they had all the 1:1 reptiles but they have scaled back a lot

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 12, 2022, 11:19:25 PM

Oh come on Mattel!  If you can do this I fully expect a Raptor Cage or Paddock playset for the Legacy line..

Where was this spotted?

Eocarcharia

Destruct-a-saurs vibes. And of course the character's head is obscured by glare. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, apparently it's new character "Soyona Santos", who was in one of the Lego sets.

Faelrin

Better pics here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbFc7AaLvd0/?utm_medium=copy_link

Also some more pics of the Extreme Damage Dimetrodon:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbD4C54L9el/?utm_medium=copy_link

Not Mattel but this Pyroraptor is pretty good looking. Good alternative (other then Marco Makes figure) if the Mattel one lets down:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbEYQXDOsUl/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edit: This Atrociraptor set leds more credence to that one reddit leak out there. Not sure how I feel on that yet. But definitely will work nicely as a stand in for that cage in the first scene in JP that had the Big One in it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

I think we can all agree that we needed this.
Lex finally gets a figure! Almost 30 years later she finally gets one! And alongside a kitchen playset. My only nitpick is the mold for that raptor, seems to be a repaint of the new Blue and it's tail looks rat-like.

Still, super excited for this!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Looks great! I would imagine that the Comic Con exclusive will probably be Lex in clean clothes. The only main character we're missing now is Gennaro.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: