News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brontodocus' collection

Started by brontodocus, March 13, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2012, 08:09:25 PM
^ AGGHHH all those lovely models....*drools*
Thanks, tyrantqueen! :) Too bad the X-Plus models (the Styracosaurus and Albertosaurus) apparently became increasingly rare. A few years ago they were really common and also quite affordable. :-\

Gakken Mook "1:35" Skeleton of Triceratops by Kazunari Araki:

The Torosaurus and Triceratops skulls are interchangeable. The set also includes skulls of Chasmosaurus belli, Centrosaurus apertus, Styracosaurus albertensis, and Protoceratops andrewsi.

Gakken Mook "1:35" Skeleton of Diplodocus by Kazunari Araki:

Measures a whopping 923 mm from tip of snout to tip of tail, so it's a little large for 1:35. The neck vertebrae are moveable.

Gakken / Kagaku no Tamago 8th Experiment "1:35" Skeleton of Tyrannosaurus by Kazunari Araki:

This one was apparently part of a sort of children's magazine and there were several molds for casting fossil replicas in the same issue (a tyrannosaurid premaxillary tooth plus a hadrosaurid and an Iguanodon tooth among others). :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Libraraptor

How did you find out there are paper models even of dinosaurs?!

brontodocus

Actually I've built these before I bought any dinosaur figures! :) I always had a soft spot for cardboard modelling but I started with other models like e.g. the Birdmobile flying birds. Eventually a few dinosaurs popped up, too. And if you prefer big figures, they are also quite affordable (or in some cases even "free" as I said above). I have two more dinosaurian examples... >:D

3d paper 1:25 Brachiosaurus:

3d paper / MB New Paper Art 1:10 Tyrannosaurus:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on April 03, 2012, 11:23:27 PM

Gakken Mook "1:35" Skeleton of Diplodocus by Kazunari Araki

Basically, I faint at your entire collection (however many times I see it), but oh, how badly do I want that Diplodocus skeleton...  :'(

brontodocus

When I bought it it seemed everybody else was ignoring it. :-\ I've got it from here (just like the other two Gakken skeletons Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus) and it wasn't expensive at all (but that's about three years ago now). After they were sold out at hlj they popped up on ebay every now and then (considerably more expensive) but for about two years I haven't seen them offered anywhere, alas. :(

And now for something that's more or less readily available...

:) Tamiya 1:35 Dinosaur Diorama models (well, not all of them):

Tylosaurus

Gotta love that big T-Rex there man, he looks great! 8)

brontodocus

Thanks, Tylosaurus! :) And it was quite easy to build, too, since the parts were already pre-cut and pre-fold (actually it's of course a kit that mainly targets kids, white glue was also included). It's quite large at approx. 110 cm length but weighs only 117 grams.

brontodocus

:) Kabaya Dinosaur Collection No. 1 (left) & 2 (right) sculpted by Kazunari Araki:

Both series had a very elegant "Seismosaurus" chase figure that needed to be assembled from five parts, every other figure from the series contained one of these parts, so acquiring the whole set was needed to complete the figure.

postsaurischian

Oh, how I want those Seismos :'(.

....... love the 'evil pictures' >:D!

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 06, 2012, 09:27:39 PM
Oh, how I want those Seismos :'( .
Argh... my only spare one is already spoken for. :( Of course I hope you'll find them, eventually. :)

More stuff from Japan... ;D

Capcom Dinosaur Expo 2009 / The Miracle of Deserts:

Top row: Tyrannosaurus (alternate, blueish gray version), Gigantoraptor. Middle row: Edmontosaurus, Guanlong (probably the best figure of the series), Tyrannosaurus (regular version). Bottom row: Spinosaurus, Mamenchisaurus.

Colorata Discover Dinosaurs Vol. 1 - Cretaceous (and Museum model Quetzalcoatlus):

Top row: Dsungaripterus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Quetzalcoatlus. Bottom row: Velociraptor, Protoceratops, Gallimimus, Pteranodon. Far right: Colorata "Exhibition of the World's Largest Pterosaurs" Kyushu/Osaka/Tokyo 2007-2008 Quetzalcoatlus.

Colorata Discover Dinosaurs Vol. 2 - Cretaceous:

Top row: Spinosaurus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Futabasaurus. Bottom row: Styracosaurus, Deinonychus, Mosasaurus.

Colorata Discover Dinosaurs Vol. 3 - Jurassic:

Top row: Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus altithorax. Bottom row: Archaeopteryx, Tuojiangosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus, Dilophosaurus.

ZoPteryx

Those are amazing!  I especially like that Museum model Quetzalcoatlus! :D

brontodocus

Thanks, Zopteryx! :) Actually that Museum Quetzalcoatlus has been almost impossible to find - until a few months ago, now there's an ebay seller who offers it quite regularly (that's where I've got mine from, too). There's one available right at the moment!

brontodocus

Smaller is greater sometimes...

PlayVisions / Habitat Earth Prehistoric Marine Reptiles & Prehistoric Amphibians
:

Top row - Prehistoric Marine Reptiles, from left to right: Placodus, Metriorhynchus, Mosasaurus, Henodus, Nothosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Shonisaurus, Mixosaurus. Bottom Row - Prehistoric Amphibians, from left to right: Gerrothorax, Diplocaulus, Eogyrinus, Crassigyrinus, Eryops, Platyhystrix, Peltobatrachus, Triadobatrachus.

Kaiyodo Dinosaur Expo 2006 resin models:

Fukuisaurus & Fukuiraptor with their corresponding skeletons.

Kaiyodo / The Study Room (The Collection of the National Museum of Nature and Science):

Top row - Gashapon figures from the Museum's vending machine: Futabasaurus Skeleton, Futabasaurus, a telescope, Nipponites, and Cheirotonus jambar. Bottom row - resin miniature models: Arsinoitherium skeleton, Tyrannosaurus, Lucy, Apatosaurus, and Ranina ranina.

Dyscrasia

Those Tamiya model kits brings back memories  ;D

I remember them being advertised as the most (scientifically) accurate dinosaur kits out there when they were released, which is no longer true by recent standards, but they still look amazing nonetheless.

brontodocus

Thanks, Dyscrasia! :) Given that they were released in the early 90s (when was it, 1994 I believe?) I guess they probably were the most accurate you could get, at least as far as injection model kits go. Most of them still look great today, the Tyrannosaurus with its strange head and bunny hands is probably the weakest, though. For all those interested in the Tamiya 1/35 Diorama kits, all of them are currently available at hlj.com (I bought nearly all of mine there, too). :)

stemturtle

Brontodocus, I greatly admire your format.  Seeing your Play Visions amphibians reminded me of all the years it took for me to collect them.  All the hunting is worth it for the joy it brings.  I appreciate the marine reptiles too, but I bought them from the old Link & Pin Hobbies site.  Excellent photos.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

postsaurischian

Simply stunning collection :-X !

....... ah, finally I see a pic of the Study Room telescope ;D.

brontodocus

Thanks, stemturtle & Helge! :) It's not that long ago that I bought the PV amphibians & reptiles, the amphibians were from franchesca who offered several sets during late summer 2010 and the marine reptiles were from dejankins a little over a year ago. Both sets were a quite reasonable price I'd say, so I was quite lucky getting them for less than I expected and especially without much searching! :) Oh, and Helge, I'm not 100% sure but I believe I've got all my Study Room figures through you! :)

brontodocus

Favorite Vinyl Model "Pteranodon" (rather Geosternbergia sternbergi) sculpted by Kazunari Araki:

With many thanks to Helge! :) It's a rather large figure, approx. 160 mm from tip of beak to end of tail and approx. 520 mm wing span.

sauroid

lovely "Pteranodon". your collection is one of the best and which most of us strive to attain.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: