News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best Figure of 2014 - poll

Started by Concavenator, January 19, 2014, 09:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are, in your opinion, the best figures of 2014 (choose up to 5)?

CollectA Deluxe 1:40 Scale Carcharodontosaurus
25 (34.7%)
CollectA Dead Stegosaurus
4 (5.6%)
CollectA Ichthyovenator
4 (5.6%)
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus with Baby Alamosaurus Prey
2 (2.8%)
CollectA Xenoceratops
3 (4.2%)
CollectA Deluxe 1:40 Scale Therizinosaurus
11 (15.3%)
CollectA Bistahieversor
2 (2.8%)
CollectA Saurophaganax
0 (0%)
CollectA Mosasaurus
13 (18.1%)
CollectA Gastonia
4 (5.6%)
CollectA Juvenile Tyrannosaurus
5 (6.9%)
CollectA Deluxe 1:20 Scale Arsinoitherium
2 (2.8%)
Carnegie Collection 25th Anniversary Tyrannosaurus rex
6 (8.3%)
Wild Safari Suchomimus
7 (9.7%)
Wild Safari Monolophosaurus
5 (6.9%)
Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus
19 (26.4%)
Wild Safari Carcharodon megalodon
1 (1.4%)
Wild Safari Ammonite
0 (0%)
Schleich Pentaceratops
5 (6.9%)
Schleich Therizinosaurus
1 (1.4%)
Schleich Walking Tyrannosaurus
1 (1.4%)
Schleich Velociraptor
0 (0%)
Bullyland Lambeosaurus
11 (15.3%)
Bullyland Europasaurus
2 (2.8%)
Papo Archaeopteryx
15 (20.8%)
Papo Dilophosaurus
12 (16.7%)
Papo Baby Triceratops
4 (5.6%)
Mojo Thylacine
5 (6.9%)
Battat Terra Pachyrhinosaurus
15 (20.8%)
Battat Terra Dacentrurus
12 (16.7%)
Battat Terra Nanshiungosaurus
12 (16.7%)
Battat Terra Cryolophosaurus
17 (23.6%)
Bullyland Protochirotherium
2 (2.8%)
Favourite Woolly Mammoth
1 (1.4%)
Favourite Smilodon
0 (0%)
Favorite Dunkleosteus
1 (1.4%)
Favorite Anomalocaris
5 (6.9%)
Favorite Tamba sauropod
5 (6.9%)
Favorite Concavenator & Pelecanimimus
4 (5.6%)
Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum: Marine Reptiles Set
7 (9.7%)
Rebor Yutyrannus huali
5 (6.9%)
Rebor Tyrannosaurus rex
5 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Concavenator

So,what new figures do you think could win that 'award'
Here are mines:
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus:While I don't think this one could win it,mainly due to the tripod pose,I'm still writing it down,as it's imho the best Tyrannosaurus model.
Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus:Best new release for the Wild Safari line.Given that Safari is in a somehow winning period(they won the 2013 award as Best figure of the Year with the Gryposaurus)and given also that Doug's ceratopsians have got lots of attention and have been bigly admired,this one could easily win this award,as people's saying this one's a top among them.
Papo Dilophosaurus:Another not so likely winner for me.Even if it's been such an eagerly awaited piece and all(it's a great model I think),I don't think it would,even if not even last year's Dimetrodon did not win it.Maybe they have a special respext to science,and they're Papo,so you know... ::)
A CollectA Figure:Imho,the award should go for either a CollectA figure or the Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus to be fair.CollectA has done an admirable job this year,releasing very exotic and even doubtful dinosaurus models (the Saurophaganax).Carcharodontosaurus,for example.

tyrantqueen

It's hard to say for sure because most of us don't own them, yet.

I don't like any of the Safaris. The Carnegie Tyrannosaurus was good, but I would have preferred if they'd chosen a different species, honestly. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't "wow" me like their other models, like the Giganotosaurus and Carnotaurus did.

I'd choose something from CollectA: maybe the Carcharodontosaurus or the baby Tyrannosaurus. The mosasaur was also great.

DinoToyForum

We could make the process democratic and set up a poll to find the 'Dinosaur Toy Forum Best Figure 2014'. This thread could host the poll, if you would be kind enough to set it up?  O:-)

Concavenator

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 19, 2014, 11:26:19 AM
We could make the process democratic and set up a poll to find the 'Dinosaur Toy Forum Best Figure 2014'. This thread could host the poll, if you would be kind enough to set it up?  O:-)
OK,I'll try  C:-)

Concavenator

Poll's up now!  :)
BTW,Dr.Admin,could you edit poll's name.Just realized-Gramar fail(What's...)It's What are...?.Please  C:-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on January 19, 2014, 02:24:31 PM
Poll's up now!  :)
BTW,Dr.Admin,could you edit poll's name.Just realized-Gramar fail(What's...)It's What are...?.Please  C:-)

Done, and thanks so much for setting up the poll! I'm going to hold back from voting until I've seen the figures in person (or they are reviewed on the blog).

DinoToyForum

Roselaar

Voted. I'd say Collecta is definitely delivering the top output this year, in terms of species range, number of figures, accuracy and overall quality.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Tough call..I'd definitely say CollectA is in the lead with Safari and Papo jostling for 2nd place.  Bully is a surprising 3rd.  Schleich is as expected..pulling up the rear.

Gwangi

Hard to pick five but I can say with relative certainty that the Safari Pachyrhinosaurus is my favorite so far. I'm saying this without actually seeing any of them so I'll withhold voting till I do.

amanda

Well, I only picked one, the WS Pachy. It is a great figure. And, well, I have only seen stock pics for most of the rest. I have seen the Carnegie Tyrannosaurus with my own eyes though. While it was more than I am willing to spend atm, I will likely grab it at some point. It is smaller than I figured, but looks much nicer in person. Every other figure this year will have to be bought based only on pics seen here, and I really hate that. While waiting for the new ceratopsians and Papo, I do believe I will grab last year's Carnegie Brachio. The Rex, btw, makes a nice companion piece, almost down to color and skin texture....

John

Quote from: Concavenator on January 19, 2014, 09:04:24 AM
Here are mines:
Carnegie Tyrannosaurus:While I don't think this one could win it,mainly due to the tripod pose,I'm still writing it down,as it's imho the best Tyrannosaurus model.
Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus:Best new release for the Wild Safari line.Given that Safari is in a somehow winning period(they won the 2013 award as Best figure of the Year with the Gryposaurus)and given also that Doug's ceratopsians have got lots of attention and have been bigly admired,this one could easily win this award,as people's saying this one's a top among them.
Papo Dilophosaurus:Another not so likely winner for me.Even if it's been such an eagerly awaited piece and all(it's a great model I think),I don't think it would,even if not even last year's Dimetrodon did not win it.Maybe they have a special respext to science,and they're Papo,so you know... ::)
A CollectA Figure:Imho,the award should go for either a CollectA figure or the Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus to be fair.CollectA has done an admirable job this year,releasing very exotic and even doubtful dinosaurus models (the Saurophaganax).Carcharodontosaurus,for example.
Don't be too sure that the newest Carnegie rex couldn't be a contender.The end of the tail touching down for balance is no big deal.It's still clear that it's tail is held out rather than dragging along the ground. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

Here are my picks

Carnegie Tyrannosaurus: Because its far better then that Weird neck abomination that came before it (The tail did not help matters either). also its the best Rex in terms of accuracy.

CollectA. Bistahieversor: Because its the first Large Tyrannosaurid that's feathered by a big company.

Papo Dilophosaurus: My favorite Dinosaur, finally gets the Papo Treatment after all these years.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 19, 2014, 11:06:42 AM

I don't like any of the Safaris. The Carnegie Tyrannosaurus was good, but I would have preferred if they'd chosen a different species, honestly. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't "wow" me like their other models, like the Giganotosaurus and Carnotaurus did.

I'd choose something from CollectA: maybe the Carcharodontosaurus or the baby Tyrannosaurus. The mosasaur was also great.

Hey! What's wrong with the WS Pachyrhinosaurus???I'm pretty sure they 1-up'd Papo with that model.

I'm looking forward to the CollectA Mosasaurus.

Concavenator

Quote from: John on January 19, 2014, 10:00:37 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 19, 2014, 09:04:24 AM
Here are mines:
Don't be too sure that the newest Carnegie rex couldn't be a contender.The end of the tail touching down for balance is no big deal.It's still clear that it's tail is held out rather than dragging along the ground. :)
I think it'd be a strong contender,however,I didn't tell that given that not even the 2012 Brachiosaurus won the award...

amanda

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 20, 2014, 06:48:50 AM

Hey! What's wrong with the WS Pachyrhinosaurus???I'm pretty sure they 1-up'd Papo with that model.

Mostly, I'd say. They sure do look nice displayed together. Especially if you have applied the hobby knife/superglue treatment to Papo's. I am in love with the new WS one. But, I am not sure one-upped is...quite it. With them now, it is almost purely artistic preference. The WS is much, much more accurate, with a very life-like and active pose (yay). It IS however more artistically reserved and less speculative on decorative details.  (As is the sculptor's intent...)

Papo's has some obvious flaws. The frill horns/antlers. It is more speculative with detailing, such as the raised scutes. I **think** the two skulls are basically comparable, mostly Papo has just gone a little further with ridges etc. But nothing any other company does can usually compare with the stunning level of quality molding for Papo. Insane detailing, always well done.

So probably, for most members here the WS Pachy would be considered superior. Quite well detailed (but not insanely or speculatively so), with a nice pose and solidly accurate. But for kids, or collectors not so interested in that, there is just...**something** about the Papo's pose. The set of the head/shoulders...that artistically is quite striking. Saying one-upped implies a solid lead, and while I love the WS, I am not sure it is THAT solid a lead....

Concavenator

True,what's with the Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus?It's far superior than Papo's efforts,I think

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amanda on January 20, 2014, 09:57:52 AM

Mostly, I'd say. They sure do look nice displayed together. Especially if you have applied the hobby knife/superglue treatment to Papo's. I am in love with the new WS one. But, I am not sure one-upped is...quite it. With them now, it is almost purely artistic preference. The WS is much, much more accurate, with a very life-like and active pose (yay). It IS however more artistically reserved and less speculative on decorative details.  (As is the sculptor's intent...)

Papo's has some obvious flaws. The frill horns/antlers. It is more speculative with detailing, such as the raised scutes. I **think** the two skulls are basically comparable, mostly Papo has just gone a little further with ridges etc. But nothing any other company does can usually compare with the stunning level of quality molding for Papo. Insane detailing, always well done.

So probably, for most members here the WS Pachy would be considered superior. Quite well detailed (but not insanely or speculatively so), with a nice pose and solidly accurate. But for kids, or collectors not so interested in that, there is just...**something** about the Papo's pose. The set of the head/shoulders...that artistically is quite striking. Saying one-upped implies a solid lead, and while I love the WS, I am not sure it is THAT solid a lead....

I would just about say they are equal. Even that is saying something. 

amanda

Saying something as in WOW that is something, or..meh, it's **something**?

I See it is doing well in the poll, but so is the Papo Dilophosaurus and that is just based on one catalog pic as far as I know? I wonder, how many members have or have the WS Pachyrhiniosaurus in person yet? I was on the fence with last year's Gryposaurus?. But after seeing it in person it became a must have. Right after the Diablo. I had intended to get it last visit, but they did not have it and the Pachyrhino WAS there...so...

Concavenator

Looks like I was right!The Pachy has more votes than Carnegie's Tyrannosaurus!Otherwise,it looks fair,imo.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.