You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

I actually prefer colorful Dinosaur figures as long as they are well done and reasonable colored. I'm thinking of the kind of colorful found in birds and lizards.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 10, 2018, 08:58:33 PM
I like Rebor Dinosaurs

I agree with you that I also like Rebor's dinosaurs, despite the behavior they have had in the DTF. One thing is the figures and other members of the company.

I recognize that there are figures of Rebor very well finished as the carnotaurus of Rebor to give an example.

Gwangi

Quote from: Loon on June 11, 2018, 07:37:48 AM
The animatronic spinosaurus from  JP 3 looks like chewed-up Beggin' Strips.

Yeah, I appreciate their attempt to use animatronics but that Spinosaurus was clunky and awkward. Like something from a Universal theme park ride. The CGI too was the worst in the franchise. 

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Gwangi on June 11, 2018, 04:01:16 PM

Yeah, I appreciate their attempt to use animatronics but that Spinosaurus was clunky and awkward. Like something from a Universal theme park ride. The CGI too was the worst in the franchise.

Yeah, the animatronics are far too fragile. They would have been better off giving it the same, if not similar, mechanics to the thrasher.

And ugh, the paintjob... don't even get me started...

Dilopho

Quote from: Gwangi on June 11, 2018, 04:01:16 PM

I believe they mean this

Gwangi

Haha, that makes more sense. He said animatronic so I automatically thought of the movie itself. Still stand by what I said.

Dilopho

Yeah, I agree with both...
The JP3 deleted scene with the animatronic Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus facing off doesn't look good to me. It doesn't help that they're just legless torsos, either... I much prefer the dynamic cgi scene we got. You can really feel the weight and agility of both dinosaurs, especially when the T. rex headbutts the Spinosaurus. Fantastic shot.

And the figure doesn't look good to me.. It's not awful, but it looks like a sausage. I like the yellowish mouth, I guess? It's not movie-accurate, but I'm a fan of oddly coloured mouths.

Nimravus

I don't  like colourful theropods, such as the Collecta Tyranno Deluxe or Linheraptor from BotM, since I don't think they had those colours when alive. Of course I am not even close to an expert, but I find difficult to believe that they were able to stalk with those showy colours.

Lizerd

A pessimistic thread! Oh boy  ;D
Well lets start with accuracy, most mainstream dino models are inaccurate which result in the lack of understanding from the general public. In terms of other things, absurd vibrancy is an issue that results in an animal that would have little hope of camouflage or survival. In a nutshell, more drab colors with some vibrant spots would be good.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

brettnj

I only collect Kaiyodo animals (both prehistoric and modern) and notice no one expressed any dissenting opinions about these. Trust I don't love all of them, and I particularly don't love when they have garish hard-lined paint schemes (Think the two tarbosauruses, original brachiosaurus, etc....), but I do have one color version of almost all.

Now, to be clear, I also profit from selling these, so let's not get crazy, but I wonder what specifically some non-fans might feel about these (awesome    ;  )    ) figures...

I think we can all agree that we don't love the redundancy and relying too much on familiar species, and there are therefore many animals we'd like to see produced, but I rarely hear anything else negative about the line (except from those who like things to scale which is, to me, as Iv'e written elsewhere here recently, an enormous part of their charm and collectability).

Anyone?

Ikessauro

It's been a while since I've posted in the forum in thread other than classifieds. I'll give this a shot.

My opinion is that it's almost impossible to have a good dinosaur collection with exact scale and people who demand perfect scale are just nitpicking and fooling themselves. Dinosaur sizes are changing all the time.

Dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in general are/were living things and we can't define their exact size because fossil record is too incomplete. Sometimes a single specimen has been found and we can't even know for sure if it is fully grown. Not in every animal/specimen at least.

Science updates sizes frequently and one new fossil discovery usually makes all dinosaur toys from a determined species inaccurate overnight. There are several differing methods to estimate sizes of incomplete fossils and sometimes each method will give you a different value.

Then, we have to consider which specimen (if there's more than one) the artist who sculpted the model was basing the model on.

To me, no matter how hard you try, there's no such thing as a correctly scaled dinosaur collection. And that's why I don't bother to consider what scale a model is in when I buy it.

For almost the same reason, there's no definitive dinosaur toy, although some might be accurate now, they probably are wrong in some aspect. This is why I don't get too hung up on accuracy all the time. If the toy looks cool, I'm buying it.

T.rex is so overdone and boring.
I love JP toys, buy I am tired of their influence in other toy lines.

I also have a strange contradictory opinion regarding exclusive/limited models; I hate them and I love them at the same time. I hate models that are designed to be rare, purposefully manufactured in small quantities and sold in exclusive stores. But I also love to have some hard to get exclusive models.  :-\ :o

Carnegie collection was cool, but waaaaayy too overrated. Some of their models are quite boring and crude. Not sad it was discontinued

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 14, 2018, 04:44:50 AM
It's been a while since I've posted in the forum in thread other than classifieds. I'll give this a shot.

My opinion is that it's almost impossible to have a good dinosaur collection with exact scale and people who demand perfect scale are just nitpicking and fooling themselves. Dinosaur sizes are changing all the time.

Dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in general are/were living things and we can't define their exact size because fossil record is too incomplete. Sometimes a single specimen has been found and we can't even know for sure if it is fully grown. Not in every animal/specimen at least.

Science updates sizes frequently and one new fossil discovery usually makes all dinosaur toys from a determined species inaccurate overnight. There are several differing methods to estimate sizes of incomplete fossils and sometimes each method will give you a different value.

Then, we have to consider which specimen (if there's more than one) the artist who sculpted the model was basing the model on.

To me, no matter how hard you try, there's no such thing as a correctly scaled dinosaur collection. And that's why I don't bother to consider what scale a model is in when I buy it.

For almost the same reason, there's no definitive dinosaur toy, although some might be accurate now, they probably are wrong in some aspect. This is why I don't get too hung up on accuracy all the time. If the toy looks cool, I'm buying it.

T.rex is so overdone and boring.
I love JP toys, buy I am tired of their influence in other toy lines.

I also have a strange contradictory opinion regarding exclusive/limited models; I hate them and I love them at the same time. I hate models that are designed to be rare, purposefully manufactured in small quantities and sold in exclusive stores. But I also love to have some hard to get exclusive models.  :-\ :o

Carnegie collection was cool, but waaaaayy too overrated. Some of their models are quite boring and crude. Not sad it was discontinued

Tell me about it. It's like people forget sizes can vary just like there's people who are much taller than the average person. I think they get too hung up on one specimen and define an entire species off of one. Don't like it as much as determining who vs who would win because just like any other animal there's experience and luck and also up to the individual it's not like all t rexes will be the best fighters or all the Giganotosaurus will all lose or win a fight the same way, the individual animals and their capabilities are unique to them just like people. I get they weren't super smart but still. Also despise the nitpickers who have to nitpick at everything wrong in a dinosaur sculpt and praise another and then a few years later the accuracy of it changes like Spinosaurus and it's just like hmm, I guess they judged too soon lol. That is all

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 11, 2018, 01:00:43 PM
I actually prefer colorful Dinosaur figures as long as they are well done and reasonable colored. I'm thinking of the kind of colorful found in birds and lizards.

But not all birds and lizards are colourful. In fact, some are quite dull (birds of prey, large monitors). I think dinosaurs could have been the same.

In this debate over what colours dinosaur could have been, I think the answer is quite simple. It's both.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2018, 08:51:43 AM

But not all birds and lizards are colourful. In fact, some are quite dull (birds of prey, large monitors). I think dinosaurs could have been the same.

In this debate over what colours dinosaur could have been, I think the answer is quite simple. It's both.

...and avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor has a preference, that's all, he wasn't claiming that all birds and lizards are colourful.

Lizerd

In defense of color and drabness: my lizard, a leopard gecko is absurdly vibrant, with a golden yellow and purples with black spots (provided he has no predators). However larger animals tend to be duller in color, such as Komodo dragons, crocs, monitors, etc. My guess is smaller animals would be more vibrant and larger ones duller.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Sim

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 14, 2018, 05:39:51 AM
Also despise the nitpickers who have to nitpick at everything wrong in a dinosaur sculpt and praise another and then a few years later the accuracy of it changes like Spinosaurus and it's just like hmm, I guess they judged too soon lol.

S @Syndicate Bias: I don't know who or what you're referring to here, but I feel uncomfortable reading you express your "despise" for "nitpickers".  To me this doesn't feel in keeping with the spirit of this forum.  Could you give specific examples of what you're referring to, because right now I don't understand what you're referring to?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2018, 03:25:58 PM
Also despise the nitpickers who have to nitpick at everything wrong in a dinosaur sculpt and praise another and then a few years later the accuracy of it changes like Spinosaurus and it's just like hmm, I guess they judged too soon lol.

S @Syndicate Bias: I don't know who or what you're referring to here, but I feel uncomfortable reading you express your "despise" for "nitpickers".  To me this doesn't feel in keeping with the spirit of this forum.  Could you give specific examples of what you're referring to, because right now I don't understand what you're referring to?

I don't like to point fingers to anyone simply because that causes tensions. I expressed my honest opinion about how I feel about nitpickers in general but didn't mention any names or gave any hints as to who simply because it's better to keep it that way with no drama. Its just my unpopular opinion  ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 14, 2018, 09:11:15 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2018, 08:51:43 AM

...and avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor has a preference, that's all, he wasn't claiming that all birds and lizards are colourful.

I wrote that post in a hurry, and didn't have time to check it over. I literally just pressed the post button and was out the door. Sorry!

Lizerd

Wait a minute, I need my pessimism on dinosaur toys  :-\ mostly models so bad its funny
like the old Carnegie carnotaurus. The mold quality is meh but the animal is aeegghh

Sim

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 14, 2018, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2018, 03:25:58 PM

I don't like to point fingers to anyone simply because that causes tensions. I expressed my honest opinion about how I feel about nitpickers in general but didn't mention any names or gave any hints as to who simply because it's better to keep it that way with no drama. Its just my unpopular opinion  ;)

I do think some criticisms of figures involved going too far, but there are also criticisms relating to accuracy that were justified.  Regarding what you said about Spinosaurus, I don't know of accuracy changes that invalidated people's past criticisms/praise about figures of this animal.  I thought it might be helpful to discuss it, not through referring to specific people of course but rather by giving examples of criticisms/praise of figures which you were thinking of.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: