You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

The Papo running T. rex is the most overrated figure ever. Especially the brown version.

Loon

I like the feel of schleich figures, the rubbery feel and the kind of "clay-y" look of some are really fun to me. Also, I dig gimmicks on figures, the Mattel Jurassic world line is full of them and they're uber-fun.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 27, 2018, 05:22:17 PM
The Papo running T. rex is the most overrated figure ever. Especially the brown version.

Gwangi

I agree! I have it (the green version) because I fed into the hype I guess but it's not holding up well with me.

Sure to be an unpopular opinion with at least one prominent member here, I can't stand the CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus. Or any CollectA Tyrannosaurus. In fact, a lot of CollectA models are overrated to me. Their ceratopsians in particular, which typically have awful looking bodies and proportions.

I don't think Tyrannosaurus is overdone. Bad T. rex figures far outweigh the good IMO. I always welcome truly good Tyrannosaurus models.

Reptilia

We're still waiting for a good Tyrannosaurus model, hopefully Eofauna can make one in the near future. At the moment I'm fine with the JP rendition from Papo.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Gwangi on May 27, 2018, 09:51:26 PM
Sure to be an unpopular opinion with at least one prominent member here, I can't stand the CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus.

So glad I'm not the only one! Honestly, whenever I try and talk about CollectA's feathered Tyrannosaurs and how much I dislike them I get a reaction like I just spat on a puppy (okay, I'm exaggerating a little, but people are always so surprised to find out). For me, the Deluxe Feathered Rex is just the ugliest. The lower jaw just looks really off and none of the markings or colours really fit together. And I've never really liked how its crest looks like a red tinfoil hat. I can understand why people like it, but it's certainly not for me. The smaller Hunting Rex is a bit more tolerable for me since the lower jaw is static and there's no red, but it's still a bit eh.

I do personally feel that the Lythronax is really good, even though it's got some faults. At the very least, it's CollectA's best feathered Tyrannosaur, in my opinion.

Concavenator

Hey!Long time no post...

Also,pretty good idea for a topic.Here are some of my opinions:

-I don't care if the figures are in scale or not
-I only buy figures that are scientifically accurate representations of the animals they represent
-I don't care if a figure has a base or not
-I don't care for Papo figures anymore,unless they release a scientifically accurate sculpt  (the last Papo I acquired was in 2014,the Dilophosaurus )
-Imo,the best dinosaur models that have ever been produced are the Carnegie Collection's.Forest Rogers' sculpts were absolutely breathtaking.Not sure someone agrees that Carnegie was the best as well.

tyrantqueen

QuoteSure to be an unpopular opinion with at least one prominent member here, I can't stand the CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus. Or any CollectA Tyrannosaurus. In fact, a lot of CollectA models are overrated to me. Their ceratopsians in particular, which typically have awful looking bodies and proportions.

I like the CollectA feathered rex, but it is quite polarising,* like many CollectA figures. I can understand why some people don't like it.

*Except for the early CollectAs. Everyone can agree those were horrible :P Although I still love their Jobaria.

suspsy

I agree! I have it (the green version) because I fed into the hype I guess but it's not holding up well with me.

Sure to be an unpopular opinion with at least one prominent member here, I can't stand the CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus. Or any CollectA Tyrannosaurus..

To each their own. I've always felt that the Battat T. rex is quite overrated. I own it, I don't hate it, but I've never, ever loved it. It looks way too 90s' and it refuses to stand up on its own. In fact, awhile back, it fell off the shelf unexpectedly and glancingly hit my poor little son on the head. He cried a bit when it happened, but he was fine without any bump or mark, thank goodness. But I was so upset in that moment at the situation and myself that I nearly threw the damn toy right into the wastebasket. Instead, I constructed a simple but sturdy stand out of LEGO bricks and there's never been any trouble since!

QuoteI don't think Tyrannosaurus is overdone. Bad T. rex figures far outweigh the good IMO. I always welcome truly good Tyrannosaurus models.

As do I!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2018, 03:23:48 AM

Sure to be an unpopular opinion with at least one prominent member here, I can't stand the CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus. Or any CollectA Tyrannosaurus..

To each their own. I've always felt that the Battat T. rex is quite overrated. I own it, I don't hate it, but I've never, ever loved it. It looks way too 90s' and it refuses to stand up on its own. In fact, awhile back, it fell off the shelf unexpectedly and glancingly hit my poor little son on the head. He cried a bit when it happened, but he was fine without any bump or mark, thank goodness. But I was so upset in that moment at the situation and myself that I nearly threw the damn toy right into the wastebasket. Instead, I constructed a simple but sturdy stand out of LEGO bricks and there's never been any trouble since!

QuoteI don't think Tyrannosaurus is overdone. Bad T. rex figures far outweigh the good IMO. I always welcome truly good Tyrannosaurus models.

As do I!

Suspy, are you aware of the newer Releases of the Battat T.Rex?     the Newer releases are made out of a more sturdy plastic, and actully allow the model to stand. :)

I also have another Opinon to add

"I wish Companeys who do obscure species, would stick to ones that have decent remains in the fossil record".

Also

"Safari Has gone down hill, with the UPSIZING of there figures and inconsitant scale(Though I still love there Modern Animals)"

John

The upsizing of some of the figures is what has saved Safari Ltd. after the end of the Carnegie Collection.In my opinion their 2017 Kronosaurus and 2018 Amargasaurus are some of the best models they had come out with since then.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Honestly to date and I know that it is an opinion in my unpopular case there is no model of allosaurus that I find interesting from the ones I have in the toy market both of those that I have in my collection and those of other collections, except maybe the Allosaurus of resin. But in the figures of toy dinosaurs I honestly do not find the allosaurus that excites me as it has happened to me with other theropods.

On the other hand, I really like the carnotaurus of Rebor, which together with Carnegie's carnotaurus (last model) seem to me to be the best two theropod figures made by toy animal companies. I know that in relation to Rebor's carnotaurus this opinion is very unpopular.

John

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 28, 2018, 09:25:38 AM
Honestly to date and I know that it is an opinion in my unpopular case there is no model of allosaurus that I find interesting from the ones I have in the toy market both of those that I have in my collection and those of other collections, except maybe the Allosaurus of resin. But in the figures of toy dinosaurs I honestly do not find the allosaurus that excites me as it has happened to me with other theropods.

I don't think Allosaurus has been done right by anyone yet either.But you never know what could turn up in the future.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on May 28, 2018, 04:20:34 AM
Suspy, are you aware of the newer Releases of the Battat T.Rex?     the Newer releases are made out of a more sturdy plastic, and actully allow the model to stand. :)

Are you joking? How could I NOT be aware of them? And haven't you heard about stability issues with the ones?

tyrantqueen

Quote"I wish Companeys who do obscure species, would stick to ones that have decent remains in the fossil record".

Also

"Safari Has gone down hill, with the UPSIZING of there figures and inconsitant scale(Though I still love there Modern Animals)"

I don't think poorly known species, such as those that known from a piece of jawbone or a toe, should be tackled. Luckily most companies don't attempt it.

I think Safari has improved. I love the new sculptor. And the scale was never consistent to begin with.

QuoteIt looks way too 90s' and it refuses to stand up on its own

With all due respect, I think one could say the same thing about the running rex, but more along the lines of it being influenced by popular culture (and maybe a bit of noughties thrown in, due to the King Kong Vastatosaurus influence). It is literally nineties "awesomebro" (ugh) Jurassic Park T. rex, plus Peter Jackson.

It's not my cup of tea in any way, but I won't deny the sculpting is sublime.

suspsy

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2018, 01:25:06 PM

QuoteIt looks way too 90s' and it refuses to stand up on its own

With all due respect, I think one could say the same thing about the running rex, but more along the lines of it being influenced by popular culture (and maybe a bit of noughties thrown in, due to the King Kong Vastatosaurus influence). It is literally nineties "awesomebro" (ugh) Jurassic Park T. rex, plus Peter Jackson.

It's not my cup of tea in any way, but I won't deny the sculpting is sublime.

I agree with you.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2018, 03:23:48 AM
To each their own. I've always felt that the Battat T. rex is quite overrated. I own it, I don't hate it, but I've never, ever loved it. It looks way too 90s' and it refuses to stand up on its own.

Well, I'm pretty nostalgic for the 90's. I like the dinosaur aesthetic from that era. For modern Tyrannosaurus depictions the feathered Safari is where it's at. I share your frustration with the Battat's stability issues, but it hasn't fallen on anyone yet. My shelf is too crowded, it just props itself up on other dinosaurs.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on May 27, 2018, 10:35:33 PM
I do personally feel that the Lythronax is really good, even though it's got some faults. At the very least, it's CollectA's best feathered Tyrannosaur, in my opinion.

Yeah, I think I agree with that. I quite like the Lythronax.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 28, 2018, 01:23:11 AM

I like the CollectA feathered rex, but it is quite polarising,* like many CollectA figures. I can understand why some people don't like it.

*Except for the early CollectAs. Everyone can agree those were horrible :P Although I still love their Jobaria.

I still love the Jobaria. And the Scelidosaurus too actually. There are a few good ones from their early days, mostly deluxe models.

Shonisaurus

I like Collecta's pteranodon Deluxe. It is one of my favorite pterosaurs.

Halichoeres

I think this would be better phrased as "The larger sizes of the Safari line don't align with my personal collecting preferences" than 'they've gone downhill.' I think if you're evaluating them on anything resembling an objective basis, they're as good as or better than they've ever been. I dislike that they have discontinued most of their interesting Toobs, but I don't pretend that that means they're a worse manufacturer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2018, 11:49:29 AM

Are you joking? How could I NOT be aware of them? And haven't you heard about stability issues with the ones?

Im talking about the Terra T.rex

BEHOLD  a Recently released Terra T.Rex i boght last year

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 28, 2018, 09:02:42 PM

I think this would be better phrased as "The larger sizes of the Safari line don't align with my personal collecting preferences" than 'they've gone downhill.' I think if you're evaluating them on anything resembling an objective basis, they're as good as or better than they've ever been. I dislike that they have discontinued most of their interesting Toobs, but I don't pretend that that means they're a worse manufacturer.

you make a valid point righ there.    I guess i should of worded it diffrently.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: