News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I had not previously compared the Safari ankylosaurus with the PNSO ankylosaurus and now I have removed them from their shelves and observed that the size of the PNSO ankylosaurus is superior to that of Safari. I thought it was an exaggeration and now I have noticed.

I congratulate you Halichores for the cast of beautiful figures you have.

SBell

Hey avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I do not know why I didn't get a notification of being tagged.

Anyway, the snout on all of them is that short. I think it's a design choice.

And the others that I received for sale were also a bit sticky. So far no dust issues, although they are stored. The ones I have come with cards, I didn't get the boxes to go with them unfortunately.

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Roselaar

acro-man

That wicked face of the Protosphyraena.... reminds me so much of Joker from Batman
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2019, 10:51:09 PM
Hey avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I do not know why I didn't get a notification of being tagged.

And the others that I received for sale were also a bit sticky. So far no dust issues, although they are stored. The ones I have come with cards, I didn't get the boxes to go with them unfortunately.

Thanks for the information! Good to know mine is whole. I haven't been getting notifications either, not even for direct messages! I'm not sure why, maybe it's a Gmail thing?

Quote from: acro-man on July 09, 2019, 02:29:58 PM
That wicked face of the Protosphyraena.... reminds me so much of Joker from Batman

Yeah, I can definitely see that. It was a real weird fish, although I suspect the teeth weren't visible when the mouth was closed.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 10, 2019, 04:01:59 PM
Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2019, 10:51:09 PM

Thanks for the information! Good to know mine is whole. I haven't been getting notifications either, not even for direct messages! I'm not sure why, maybe it's a Gmail thing?

Quote from: acro-man on July 09, 2019, 02:29:58 PM

Yeah, I can definitely see that. It was a real weird fish, although I suspect the teeth weren't visible when the mouth was closed.

It might be a site thing--I still miss notifications.

Halichoeres

Sauropsids of the Jurassic!

PNSO Eurhinosaurus
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Released: 2019
Lower Jurassic
I'll have more to say in my review for the blog, but this is a very attractive figure. The color scheme is one of the more ambitious designs ever attempted for a mass-market marine reptile, and it comes out looking pretty good. I need to do a little research on the swimming mechanics--my first impression is that it's just a shade too flexible. I'm always very happy to add a new genus to my aquatic displays.

Alongside the somewhat less lifelike CollectA Rhomaleosaurus.

TS Toys Eustreptospondylus (Walking with Dinosaurs unofficial merchandise)
Scale: about 1:25
Released: 2001
Finally managed to hunt one of these down. The unofficial WWD figures seem to be harder to find than the official ones (except the Ornithocheirus, of course). Some of the sculpts have reappeared as small rubbery figures with new paint jobs, but as far as I know this one has not. I think this is the best Eustreptospondylus toy out there, edging out the hideous CollectA and the middling GeoWorld.

Kaiyodo Barosaurus (Dinoland 100mm)
Scale: 1:100
Upper Jurassic
This is one of the few Kaiyodo pieces in my collection whose sculptor and release date I haven't been able to identify. It's a really elegant little piece, modeled after the mount at the American Museum in New York. The paint job is pretty perfunctory and is not as tidy as I normally expect from Kaiyodo, with a little slop from the base around the feet and tail. Still, I think it's the best Barosaurus around.

Not that the competition is very stiff. Barosaurus might be the sauropod with the greatest mismatch between its notoriety and its representation in plastic. The only other one I know is this Xidi (Happy Kin) version, which is a little bigger, around 1:80, but much, much uglier. I suspect I know what most of you will say, but I'm curious what your vote is for which to keep (there can only be one!). After all the effort I made to hunt each of these down in succession, I fully expect a nice big pretty one from another company in the near future. It was definitely one of my requests to EoFauna.

PNSO Dakosaurus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Released: 2019
Upper Jurassic-Lower Cretaceous
Believe it or not, only the second metriorhynchid to be released as a non-miniature figure (after Safari's very nice but short-lived Plesiosuchus). It's a really interesting pose that probably facilitates packing and shipping but makes it really difficult to balance on a stand (I tried and failed to photograph it on an Invicta stand). This figure improves on the miniature version by omitting the osteoderms, and of course it's more finely detailed, but as others have noted, it's got just a little bit of a milk mustache.

Giving chase to Toyway's Ophthalmosaurus. More marine life from PNSO, please!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

Despite the colour and the sloppier than usual paint job, my vote goes to the Kaiyodo Barosaurus. The faults are outweighed by the elegant pose and its welcome reminder of that famous museum mount. 

Bokisaurus

That barrosaurus is a good catch, it's a nice little figure. I have both a metal and the rubber versions. Yeah, I have been searching for info about it, but so far all I know is that it was released in the 1990's ;D Could possibly be an Araki since he was one of the sculptors who did the larger Dinoland figures.

Killekor

Thanks for the photos and for the info, Halicoeres! You've bought a lot of great figures!
I really like the Mojo Dunkleosteus. Maybe I'll get it.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lots of nice 'fish' on the last couple of pages. Congrats on adding to your ever greater collection.

Can you confirm that the Fukuivenator and Koshisaurus are to scale?, I thought the Koshisaurus was bigger.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 16, 2019, 07:21:35 AM
Despite the colour and the sloppier than usual paint job, my vote goes to the Kaiyodo Barosaurus. The faults are outweighed by the elegant pose and its welcome reminder of that famous museum mount.

That's generally my feeling as well. I strongly prefer the closest scale I can get to 1:40 for sauropods, but since that's not on offer, 1:100 doesn't seem so very different from 1:80 when balanced against the aggressive homeliness of the Xidi toy.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 16, 2019, 06:35:22 PM
That barrosaurus is a good catch, it's a nice little figure. I have both a metal and the rubber versions. Yeah, I have been searching for info about it, but so far all I know is that it was released in the 1990's ;D Could possibly be an Araki since he was one of the sculptors who did the larger Dinoland figures.

I didn't know there was a metal version, it must be very striking! It could be an Araki, as it does have the characteristic gauntness of his sculpts.

Quote from: Killekor on July 16, 2019, 09:16:21 PM
Thanks for the photos and for the info, Halicoeres! You've bought a lot of great figures!
I really like the Mojo Dunkleosteus. Maybe I'll get it.

It's a pretty good Dunkleosteus!

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 16, 2019, 10:11:44 PM
Lots of nice 'fish' on the last couple of pages. Congrats on adding to your ever greater collection.

Can you confirm that the Fukuivenator and Koshisaurus are to scale?, I thought the Koshisaurus was bigger.

Thank you! If we're being really exact, the Fukuivenator is about 1:27 (based on known elements) and the Koshisaurus is about 1:33 (based on known elements). Known Koshisaurus remains are of an individual that was not fully grown, so if the figure represents a grown adult it would be to a smaller scale, maybe more like 1:40 or 1:50.

Halichoeres

Archosauromorphs of the Triassic!

Paleo-Creatures Garjainia prima
Scale: 1:14
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo
Released: 2018
Lower Triassic
Really nice to finally have an erythrosuchid in my collection. One of many strange stem-group archosaurs to arise from the evolutionary experimentation of the Triassic period. Also nice to have an animal more or less at rest, an unusual posture in figures.

Paleo-Creatures Shringasaurus indicus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Jesús Toledo
Released: 2018
Middle Triassic
Another strange stem-archosaur, one that I think some mainstream company will eventually get around to. But why wait when Paleo-Creatures figures are abroad in the world? If Jetoar keeps making them, I'll keep buying them--Triassic toys are pretty rare, so they fill a yawning gap!

Being harrassed by the Safari Prestosuchus (they never saw each other, but it was the most appropriate thing I had close to hand).

SBell

Those are so awesome. I really need to do a PalaeoCreatures order.

avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar do you have anything else coming up soon? Some interesting fish perhaps?

Jetoar

Quote from: SBell on August 18, 2019, 07:00:20 PM

avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar do you have anything else coming up soon? Some interesting fish perhaps?

Lystrosaurus and Megacephalosaurus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YZYB14uvA&t=3588s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnHlVId4qQs&t=4038s
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ceratopsian

Quote from: Jetoar on August 18, 2019, 08:06:50 PM

And I can recommend the Lystrosaurus, though I haven't had chance to take photos of it yet!

SBell

Quote from: Jetoar on August 18, 2019, 08:06:50 PM

Those are cool avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar Any fish forthcoming?

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting, everyone! I'm chuffed that these two are making their DTF debut in my very own collection thread. The Lystrosaurus pair in particular is beautiful; if I'd known it was in the offing I'd have added it to my last order. avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian did you specifically request that one?

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 19, 2019, 06:00:41 PM
Thanks for visiting, everyone! I'm chuffed that these two are making their DTF debut in my very own collection thread. The Lystrosaurus pair in particular is beautiful; if I'd known it was in the offing I'd have added it to my last order. avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian did you specifically request that one?

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yes I did - I've wanted a Lystrosaurus for ever.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: