News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Almost there guys I'm kinda wondering if gonna debut at 12 am PST which mean about 3 am for us in the east coast tomorrow night either I'll definitely be up to watch it as doon as it's available.

DinoToyForum

Was this clip of the Tuarangisaurus shared yet?

Dynomikegojira

I believe so but it might be a slightly extended version.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Concavenator on May 21, 2022, 12:08:27 PMI certainly hope this isn't a limited-time series. I won't have much time next week.

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 21, 2022, 02:11:36 AMI see absolutely no reason why this would be a limited-time release. Is there ANY precedent for a streaming service doing that? It wouldn't make sense to take it away when it can just sit there and keep garnering views like every other streaming program.

Yeah, it makes no sense. Why would they limit their series to a particular time frame when there will be people that won't be able to watch it right away? A big part of the effort, time and funds invested in its creation would have been in vain. It would be logical if they simply let the series be there so anyone could watch it at anytime.
the reason why I thought it is limited is because they way everything is worded, it sound slide you have only one day for each episode. Surely they would just say an episode releases every night rather than saying that it releases over a week. The latter sounds like you only have that week to watch it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

bone crusher

So, Deinocheirus is eight ton in PP, had no idea it grew to be this heavy, always thought it weighed 6-7 tons. I wonder what figure they'll give T.rex, 9 tons at least?
https://tv.apple.com/au/episode/freshwater/umc.cmc.2ltsv2gk9siqwu14j9v7sqqv0
Also it makes my day to see the episodes support 4k Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, gonna be a treat watching on my TV.

Samrukia

I have been telling people from various paleofan communities on social media to watch the series officially on Apple TV+. I have been giving good arguments why it is important.

Turns out, Apple TV+ is not available in my country  ::) facepalm

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: erlectric on May 22, 2022, 06:42:58 AMI have been telling people from various paleofan communities on social media to watch the series officially on Apple TV+. I have been giving good arguments why it is important.

Turns out, Apple TV+ is not available in my country  ::) facepalm
Gray area as far as I'm concerned maybe get a VPN

Concavenator

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 22, 2022, 12:23:24 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 21, 2022, 12:08:27 PMI certainly hope this isn't a limited-time series. I won't have much time next week.

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 21, 2022, 02:11:36 AMI see absolutely no reason why this would be a limited-time release. Is there ANY precedent for a streaming service doing that? It wouldn't make sense to take it away when it can just sit there and keep garnering views like every other streaming program.

Yeah, it makes no sense. Why would they limit their series to a particular time frame when there will be people that won't be able to watch it right away? A big part of the effort, time and funds invested in its creation would have been in vain. It would be logical if they simply let the series be there so anyone could watch it at anytime.
the reason why I thought it is limited is because they way everything is worded, it sound slide you have only one day for each episode. Surely they would just say an episode releases every night rather than saying that it releases over a week. The latter sounds like you only have that week to watch it.

Well, you are right, based on the way they promote it, it looks like it will be time-limited, but will it really be? Has there been any confirmation on this?

Stegotyranno420

Don't get me wrong, the documentary looks amazing, but part of me wishes it had a soundtrack by Benjamin Bartlett and was narrated by Kenith Branagh. I still love Attenboroughs narration though.

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 22, 2022, 06:29:52 PMDon't get me wrong, the documentary looks amazing, but part of me wishes it had a soundtrack by Benjamin Bartlett and was narrated by Kenith Branagh. I still love Attenboroughs narration though.

Hey you never know this might actually inspire Tim Haines and Impossible Pictures to do a modern up to date remake I'm just not sure whether they have to clear it with BBC first. Wishful thinking I'm hoping for a Dinosaur Revolution 2, Dinosaur Planet 2, Planet Dinosaur 2 and a WWD style documentary from NHK.

This is it my fellow paleo geeks anybody else staying up to watch it debut.

Bread

David Attenborough all the way!!!

I rather leave Walking with Dinosaurs the way it is. Nothing from there needs to tie in to this new documentary or any other future series.

Dynomikegojira

Episode 1 is now officially available

Dynomikegojira

All I can say is wow some many species and the effects look so real. Excellent start.

Dinoxels

It was breathtaking. I cannot encourage anyone enough to watch it.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

GojiraGuy1954

I just caught the Coasts episode, and wow, was it worth the wait.

Spoiler
My main fear with this series, that each segment would pass by too fast, was immediately vanquished the moment the scene transitioned from Hank and the chicks on the beach to the colony of Pterosaurs. Each segment was very well paced and surprisingly lengthy. I think my favourite one was the part with the Pterosaurs on the coastlines. The Phosphatodraco and Barbaridactylus were very imposing without being too dramatised; the fantastic visuals, cinematography, score, and of course the narration, contribute to an amazing, dramatic, while naturalistic, scene. On top of that, every Pterosaur in the episode was one that I had never heard of before, which was a big plus. I hope some companies can get to making models representing the genera that are in this documentary soon, I would love to have a detailed and realistic Nyctosaurid figure.
I like the portrayal of the Tuarangisaurs as well. Most depictions of these animals show them as being rather docile and slow, but the individuals in this program had the wherewithal to defend against a Mosasaur attack. The use of stones as ballast also harkens back to the Cryptocleidus from Walking With Dinosaurs, which was very special to me as a younger person, and I assume to many other members of the forum.
The glowing, bioluminescent ammonites are very natural speculation, and make for a very nice visual.
I wish that the giant sea turtles got more focus in the final episode, but it was nice to see them, even if one was only a corpse to draw Hank to the offshore island.
The misdirection in the initial sneak peek was also a welcome surprise within the documentary itself. Makes you wonder what other scenes we haven't fully seen yet.
The design for the T. rex is one of my personal favourites in any piece of media. I am very happy that they chose to go for lipped dinosaur reconstructions, the documentary wouldn't have given off the same vibe if the dinosaurs had a permenent toothy "snarl."
[close]

Very excited to see what Deserts, Freshwater, Ice Worlds and Forests will have in store.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

bone crusher

The episode did not disappoint! This is exactly what I wanted from a big budget BBC dinosaur docu. For me in particular, it's such a nice breath of fresh air to see how well they've managed to reconstruct the T.rex in its full scientific glory, bulky, plump, heavy and animalistic. The modern CG rendering and animation really add a lot to its believably, the subtle muscle wobbles, the momentum of each stride, the weight of such heavy animal when interacting with its environment and objects. The animators really put thoughts into giving the scene a sens of gravity and tangibility. Man I just wish they'll release a 4k bluyray set sometime down the road.

ceratopsian

I did the unheard of and watched a TV programme in the morning.  I was impressed (despite guilty feelings on my decadent lifestyle!)  I'll be watching again this evening to savour it and will be forcing my other half to enjoy!  Especially enjoyed the pterosaur scenes.  I'm sure there is a list somewhere of exactly what features in each episode....

Rain

Is there any way to watch the episode in a higher resolution online? Whatever resolution the episode is in, doesn't look very good on a large 4K monitor.

Dynomikegojira

Glad you all enjoyed it as much as I did I'm definitely looking forward to Bread's thoughts on this as well.

dragon53

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: