News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Concavenator’s Paleoart

Started by Concavenator, December 30, 2014, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Thank you!  :))

Concavenator

Deleted.

Concavenator

Deleted.

Concavenator

Deleted.

Lanthanotus

I like the transition of the bold stripes in front to the finer lines in the back. Also, those webbing in the hands is certainly interesting.... Spinosaurus is just so strange, its hard to make sense of such a big predator with such strange features.

Concavenator

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus Thanks! This is a dinosaur that I have always found pretty hard to draw, somehow, but this time I liked the overall result.

For the forelimbs I took inspiration from the alligator snapping turtle (Macrochelys temminckii), which, while speculative, of course, could be within the realm of possibility for spinosaurids. And I really don't think last year's discoveries made Spinosaurus look stranger...for a mainly aquatic animal the tail adaptation certainly makes a lot of sense. For me, the strangest dinosaur is still Deinocheirus!

Shonisaurus

Nice illustrations. Honestly, the one I like the most is the dromeosaurid, it's great.

GojiraGuy1954

I'm not a big fan of overzealous amounts of soft tissue and feathering on dinosaurs. The art is good though
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

Thanks for visiting, folks!

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 07, 2021, 05:20:24 PMI'm not a big fan of overzealous amounts of soft tissue and feathering on dinosaurs. The art is good though

Yeah, that was very typical of me in my early days.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

HD-man

Quote from: Concavenator on May 15, 2022, 10:51:21 PMA portrait of a Styracosaurus.

Just favorited it at deviantART!
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Concavenator

Thank you for the kind words, glad you like!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Your Allosaurus looks very sweet
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

I really like the color palette of the Styracosaurus!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Thanks a lot! Glad you like  ^-^

HD-man

Quote from: Concavenator on May 20, 2022, 11:06:00 PMThank you for the kind words, glad you like!

Anytime!

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2022, 01:53:29 AMI really like the color palette of the Styracosaurus!

Me too!
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Concavenator

Deleted.

Concavenator

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus (Stromer, 1915)

Wasn't planning to tackle this species again, but I made a new Spinosaurus drawing because of avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 's birthday as he likes that dinosaur. It's also an excuse to update my previous sketch from almost 1 year ago.

And here's my previous one, for comparison:

When it comes to Spinosaurus, as of right now (July 2021) there haven't been any new discoveries (since the one described by Ibrahim et al. 2020) that altered its anatomy/morphology (although new papers have come out studying its ecology, Ibrahim et al. 2022 proposing a subaqueous foraging behaviour, and on the other hand, Sereno et al. 2022, arguing it was not aquatic). I based this sketch off Scott Hartman's skeletal, same as last time.

The main difference between this new version and my previous one is the different sail shape - last time I went for the popular-since-2014 M shape, but this time I went for the classical D shape, as my understanding is the M shape was based on a photograph of the holotype (which was destroyed during World War II), and didn't have any particular reasons behind it ( most of the neural spines were broken). After reading Hartman's post about this topic I also came to realize that the neotype specimen (FSAC-KK 11888) does not have any complete neural spines, furthermore, the fragmentary parts that have been found aren't attached to any centra, so the actual sail shape is currently unknown. In that case, I think the D shape is the safer and more likely option as it appears in other taxa like the ornithopod Ouranosaurus and synapsids like Edaphosaurus or Dimetrodon.

Unlike last time, this time I went with a lipless approach, though as of right now, both options are valid. Spinosaurids spent more time in or around water than other theropods, so perhaps (emphasis on perhaps) they didn't need that extra oral tissue. I also gave it large, sensitive scales at the tip of its snout, based on Dal Sasso et al. 2009. Finally, I based the patterns on its sail and tail on a tropical fish I can't identify.

Stegotyranno420

Thank you very much avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator 
It reminds me of a more realistic yet stylized version of CM Kosemans illustrations.  :)

Concavenator

Thank you! avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420

Well, I'm trying to improve realism and detailing in my drawings, and also experimenting with shading. I have a lot to learn.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.