You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on June 19, 2022, 08:26:36 PMSo REBOR is saying they've sold all they plan to make to their distributors but some distributors still have stock? I guess that would make sense.

That's it exactly.

SRF

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 20, 2022, 01:47:06 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 19, 2022, 05:05:40 PMThey might be sold out to retailers. Retailers ordered a batch each and that's all there is, no indication of quantity made there.

Retailers are getting so much product but the costs have risen so I see this is very likely. Everyone wants what's new. What's new quickly becomes old. It's in a company's best interest to get more new stuff out fast now even if that means in limited quantity.  You have to stay relevant.  It's a widespread issue with anyone in some form of marketing. From youtubers to toy companies.

Exactly

Will Kiss and Tusk also be available at your regular resellers that don't have it listed for pre-orders yet?
But today, I'm just being father

JohannesB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 19, 2022, 05:05:40 PMEveryone wants what's new. What's new quickly becomes old. It's in a company's best interest to get more new stuff out fast now even if that means in limited quantity.  You have to stay relevant.  It's a widespread issue with anyone in some form of marketing. From youtubers to toy companies.

I am learning that the less junk I think I need, the better I feel. It also helps me to appreciate the things I have (like PNSO's latest Tyrannosaurus figure) even more than I would if I were chasing the next best thing that's coming out. And even then I got rid of a lot of stuff that was in my collection. Anyway, I genuinely wish everyone good luck getting their "Tusk" or "Kiss". They certainly do look fine. I will let it pass by and in the meantime I think I'll wait for at least a few years to buy another great T. rex figure.

Concavenator

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 19, 2022, 05:05:40 PMThey might be sold out to retailers. Retailers ordered a batch each and that's all there is, no indication of quantity made there.

Retailers are getting so much product but the costs have risen so I see this is very likely. Everyone wants what's new. What's new quickly becomes old. It's in a company's best interest to get more new stuff out fast now even if that means in limited quantity.  You have to stay relevant.  It's a widespread issue with anyone in some form of marketing. From youtubers to toy companies.
Exactly

I still don't get it. Does that mean every single Rebor product is produced in no more than a single wave? If that's the case, then our critics aren't valid. However, if Rebor products are produced in >1 waves, then our critics are valid*, as if there were any differences to begin with, they should have let everyone know. Some of their 2019 figures like their Stegosaurus or Dilophosaurus are still available (and also, at least their baby Stego from 2016). Do those come from a 1st production batch as well?

* When you say the costs have risen, are you referring to the current situation and logistics? That would make sense. But if that's true, then I take all the 2022 releases aside from this T.rex (Saurophaganax and Smilodon) are also a single batch? If they aren't, then I stand by my point.

Duna

That is an incredible figure and the real paint application is just like the master paint. No downgrades here. So better hurry and preorder where you want because it is a figure that is going to look accurate and cool for a long time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on June 20, 2022, 11:55:04 AM

Exactly

I still don't get it. Does that mean every single Rebor product is produced in no more than a single wave? If that's the case, then our critics aren't valid. However, if Rebor products are produced in >1 waves, then our critics are valid*, as if there were any differences to begin with, they should have let everyone know. Some of their 2019 figures like their Stegosaurus or Dilophosaurus are still available (and also, at least their baby Stego from 2016). Do those come from a 1st production batch as well?

* When you say the costs have risen, are you referring to the current situation and logistics? That would make sense. But if that's true, then I take all the 2022 releases aside from this T.rex (Saurophaganax and Smilodon) are also a single batch? If they aren't, then I stand by my point.

Every single product? I can't say that with certainty but it would seem to be the case now instead of in the past when I think there were restocks?  It's very possible those you mention are first run items, I picked up the baby stego heavily discounted. 

Yes I refer to the current rise in fuel, materials, ect..

Are the current pieces limited editions as well? maybe. We know the Smilodon has had a lot of variants, I don't think those are multiple batches though, my guess is it wasn't ordered by retailers as much and Rebor had a factory minimum? Then they just keep repainting it to sell in different variants..or it was so popular they made more. Could be either scenario I guess?   

But it makes sense that all future Rebor models will be more limited to get more new product out. That said once molded, if a piece is extremely popular I'm certain they could produce a few more.

Bread

If anything, if these are limited, it leaves Kiss or Tusk (possibly both) to have future repaints due to popularity.

Edit: Future repainted batches to be made*

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on June 21, 2022, 12:23:25 PMIf anything, if these are limited, it leaves Kiss or Tusk (possibly both) to have future repaints due to popularity.

Edit: Future repainted batches to be made*

Right.

Rain

The lipped variant, 'Kiss', is now sold out everywhere. 'Tusk' is still available.

EDIT: Only for the major retailers, as Duna points out below.

Duna

Quote from: Rain on July 04, 2022, 05:59:31 PMThe lipped variant, 'Kiss', is now sold out everywhere. 'Tusk' is still available.
Both of them are still available as preorder in two Aliexpress shops (about 95 units available for each one).

Mellow Stego

I'm tempted to preorder Tusk and hope for a later repaint on Kiss.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Duck

Quote from: Mellow Stego on July 06, 2022, 04:07:37 AMI'm tempted to preorder Tusk and hope for a later repaint on Kiss.
Exactly what I'm doing.

I never would have thought that my definitive Tyrannosaurus would come from Rebor
He who dwells in pond

need4swede

Quote from: Duck on July 06, 2022, 01:12:17 PMI never would have thought that my definitive Tyrannosaurus would come from Rebor

I don't think Rebor thought that the definitive Tyrannosaurus would come from Rebor, so it seems to have caught everyone by surprise - in a good way, of course. I wonder if this will persuade them to explore more accurate dinos, but we'll see. I wonder how much of the sales figures can be attributed towards people liking the scientific approach - hard to tell when it's such a popular dinosaur like the T.rex
- Swede

Duna

I would love to see Kiss painted as "Hank" the father tyrannosaurus from Prehistoric Planet ... The sculpt is very much alike, including the queratine over the eyes.

Faelrin

For the meantime Kiss, or their lipped T. rex will definitely be my number 2 "definitive", next to the Beasts of the Mesozoic one. And for JP T. rex, that honor will go to none other then the HC one for now, since at least the paint job is highly reminiscent of the SWS maquette, etc. Can't believe I have so many T. rex on my wishlist after so many years of not having much interest in it (and also satisfied with the Safari Ltd feathered T. rex), and feeling like the market is saturated with them. I mean it still is, don't get me wrong, but this has been a year of very exciting releases for me. I guess having Prehistoric Planet (and Dominion to a lesser degree, but JP's 30th anniversary approaches next year, and I'm all for that), has helped contribute to breathing new life into the animal, although this modern take on it, has been around for several years now, such as seen in Saurian's redesigned featherless T. rex model, if not countless paleo art as well. Though it is surprising to see how long it took for the toy/model market to catch up to it, with PNSO being the first one's to attempt it (despite the oversized scales and lack of lips anyways, as far as their 2020 Wilson went).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ludodactylus

I've held off on buying a T. rex for my collection because it's not a species I'm tremendously enamored with and up until now I haven't seen any figures that felt like "must haves" to me. "Kiss" is challenging that. It is a beautiful figure, but the size makes me pause. If it were a little smaller I'd hit that pre-order button without hesitation. Can I justify buying a T. rex that dwarfs everything else in my collection and would take up a huge amount of already limited space?
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Bread

Quote from: Duna on July 06, 2022, 06:26:56 PMI would love to see Kiss painted as "Hank" the father tyrannosaurus from Prehistoric Planet ... The sculpt is very much alike, including the queratine over the eyes.
An artist I follow on Instagram will be doing this. He has multiple people asking for him to do commissions for this colorscheme applied to Kiss lol.

Seems to me Rebor have outdone themselves. Honestly, I am holding onto my preorder by a thread. BBTS always get stuff late... sadly. Holding out for Everything Dinosaur to contact me but I hope for the end of August. Gives me time to build up moneyyy.

Faelrin

Yes I'm hoping for late August too. Like I just paid for the HC T. rex as well. And then I have the new Kaiyodo and a batch of 2021 Eikoh figures ordered through avatar_brettnj @brettnj I'd have to deal with first, likely since the Kaiyodo figures are expected to drop this month.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

Quote from: Bread on July 12, 2022, 04:39:56 AM
Quote from: Duna on July 06, 2022, 06:26:56 PMI would love to see Kiss painted as "Hank" the father tyrannosaurus from Prehistoric Planet ... The sculpt is very much alike, including the queratine over the eyes.
An artist I follow on Instagram will be doing this. He has multiple people asking for him to do commissions for this colorscheme applied to Kiss lol.
Oh that's cool. Will you post a picture here when he has done it? I'd love to see that!

Bread

Quote from: Duna on July 12, 2022, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 12, 2022, 04:39:56 AM
Oh that's cool. Will you post a picture here when he has done it? I'd love to see that!
oh yes of course!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: