News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creative Beast hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, April 19, 2022, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've been thinking about the remaining medium-sized dromaeosaurids and troodontids that have yet to be made in 1:18 scale for BotM.  I have some thoughts about how they could be done.

First, Deinonychus.  I think its popularity would make it sell well enough that parts sharing might not be needed, perhaps if desired it could be offered as more than one colour variant similar to the BotM Tyrannosaurus and Zuniceratops.  If parts sharing is done though it could allow us to get some rare species: I think Stenonychosaurus, Zanabazar and Tianyuraptor could all share parts with Deinonychus.  And Adasaurus too...  It would be cool if when resizing Adasaurus for 1:18 scale David made it the same size as Deinonychus as it turns out Adasaurus grew to Deinonychus size as shown in the two size comparisons below:

(Holotype and paratype of Adasaurus compared to a human.  Image source)

(Image source)

Second, Zhenyuanlong.  There's been quite a bit of interest for a Zhenyuanlong with accurate proportions.  It needs longer legs and longer secondaries to be accurate.  For an accurate 1:18 Zhenyuanlong, the longer secondaries it could share with Balaur.  For the longer legs to be made it would perhaps be good if it could share them with another figure.  I'd suggest Saurornithoides!  Saurornithoides could share other parts with other dromaeosaurids too.

David has been doing a great job at making species from different formations.  Below I've listed the dromaeosaurid and troodontid species I've suggested in this post and after them I've listed the BotM species they shared their environment with.  In other words species they would be able to form a realistic scene with.

Deinonychus: Acrocanthosaurus, Sauropelta

Stenonychosaurus: Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Edmontonia, Einiosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Saurornitholestes l. if released in 1:18 scale, Styracosaurus

Zanabazar: Adasaurus and Mononykus if they are released in 1:18 scale, Qianzhousaurus (if it's indeed the same animal as Alioramus), Tarbosaurus

Tianyuraptor: Dilong if released in 1:18 scale, Yutyrannus, Zhenyuanlong if released in 1:18 scale

Saurornithoides: Linheraptor (if it's the same animal as Tsaagan), Protoceratops a., Protoceratops h., Tsaagan if released in 1:18 scale, Velociraptor m.

EmperorDinobot

I really do not think he will make new molds for dinos like Zhenyuanlong. The smaller 1:18 molds are the same thing but in a different scale.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I believe he expressed interest in working on Deinonychus a while back in one of the Cyberzoic related interviews I think (where Utahraptor was revealed to be coming). I think we'll see it eventually, because it is such a popular dinosaur though (and I would also buy it to have alongside Acrocanthosaurus and Sauropelta, and if we ever get it, Tenontosaurus as well). It's also my favorite dinosaur, so it's another reason I hope to see it some day. Would love to have my top 5 favorite dromaeosaurids represented in this line in some way, and to scale if possible (Deinonychus, Dromaeosaurus, Utahraptor, Velociraptor, and Microraptor). Number 6 would be Zhenyuanlong. Also your ideas would help with justifying some of the cost of the mold, if he would ever want to include some of those. There's also that fragmentary Vectiraptor from the Wessex Formation he could do, that was also about Deinonychus sized.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Darko2300

Quote from: Faelrin on August 01, 2022, 10:21:28 PMavatar_Sim @Sim I believe he expressed interest in working on Deinonychus a while back in one of the Cyberzoic related interviews I think (where Utahraptor was revealed to be coming). I think we'll see it eventually, because it is such a popular dinosaur though (and I would also buy it to have alongside Acrocanthosaurus and Sauropelta, and if we ever get it, Tenontosaurus as well). It's also my favorite dinosaur, so it's another reason I hope to see it some day. Would love to have my top 5 favorite dromaeosaurids represented in this line in some way, and to scale if possible (Deinonychus, Dromaeosaurus, Utahraptor, Velociraptor, and Microraptor). Number 6 would be Zhenyuanlong. Also your ideas would help with justifying some of the cost of the mold, if he would ever want to include some of those. There's also that fragmentary Vectiraptor from the Wessex Formation he could do, that was also about Deinonychus sized.
Well, yeah.

All the cool kids love Deinonychus.  ;D

Sim

Thanks for sharing that avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin! :)  I'm very happy to hear the future looks bright for a BotM/Cyberzoic Deinonychus!  I too am planning to get the BotM/Cyberzoic Sauropelta and Acrocanthosaurus, and feel that a Deinonychus would go great with them.  I hope you will be able to have your five or six favourite dromaeosaurids in the same scale from BotM/Cyberzoic.  Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus and Utahraptor are all planned and I share your desire for a 1:18 Deinonychus and Microraptor.

I hadn't heard of Vectiraptor, I hope better dromaeosaurid remains from the UK are found someday.  Another species that could share part with Deinonychus is Unenlagia.  Although personally I think David should stick with Deinonychus (extremely popular and important, known from good remains) and any of the following: Zanabazar (known from the best preserved troodontid skull which even had its brain mapped), Tianyuraptor (the largest domaeosaurid to be preserved with feathers, known from a skeletally complete specimen), Adasaurus (already in the line so might be worth shrinking down), Stenonychosaurus (the most popular troodontid).

Faelrin

Yes I would quite like Tianyuraptor as well. I find it interesting it has short arms and longer legs like Zhenyuanlong does. I wonder if there's any relation between them?

Sim

Tianyuraptor and Zhenyuanlong both appear to be basal dromaeosaurids so they seem to be quite closely related, although some scientists think the two are the same animal.  If they are the same species, Tianyuraptor would be the correct name for it.

suspsy

Based on my growing suspicion that the Water Clan will consist of marine reptiles and fish and no dinosaurs at all, I would like to see:

Dunkleosteus
Helicoprion
Edestes
Ptychodus
Pteranodon
Plesiosuchus
Temnodontosaurus
Rhomaleosaurus
Liopleurodon
Elasmosaurus
Prognathodon
Mosasaurus

Mosasaurus would be the clan's flagship/heavy hitter/big boy, on par with the Tech Clan T. rex and Fire Clan Acrocanthosaurus. Given that the latest size estimates are considerably smaller than previous ones (36-43 feet in length as opposed to 58-66 feet), a 30" long Mosasaurus figure would work just fine. 

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Nice list, suspsy.  I would be happy to see Edestus, Pteranodon, Plesiosuchus, Temnodontosaurus, Rhomaleosaurus and Liopleurodon.  I would really like Styxosaurus instead of Elasmosaurus though as Styxosaurus is my favourite plesiosaur and it has never been made into a figure.  Plus it's known from very good remains while Elasmosaurus is quite fragmentary.

Sim

Adding to my previous post I'd also like Nothosaurus and Rhamphorhynchus from the Water clan.

Concavenator

I would really like a 1:35 scale version of the Allosaurus. And I think it would be interesting to have both it and the Stegosaurus at 1:35, so they can be displayed together at both scales, just like the BotM Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops.

When it comes to new species I would like to see...

Halszkaraptor (what about 1:6 so it fits with the big dromaeosaurids?)
Austroraptor or any other unenlagiine.
Any troodontid (aside from Zanabazar and Stenonychosaurus, Latenivenatrix would also be nice)
Gallimimus
Falcarius
Tenontosaurus
Kulindadromeus
Eoraptor

It's surprising how overlooked these creatures are. I hope David can release more obscure species. If it wasn't for him, we would have no unenlagiines, troodontids, or alvarezsaurids on the market.

avatar_Sim @Sim Nothosaurus and Rhamphorhynchus are nice choices!

Sim

Very nice list avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator!  I would just add that I think Latenivenatrix being a synonym of Stenonychosaurus has been argued convincingly, including by one of the people who named Latenivenatrix.  I would like to have BotM versions of Austroraptor, Gallimimus, Falcarius and Eoraptor!

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim +1 for Eoraptor (Herrerasaurus too because why not). Still wish there was a figure of that.

Sim

After seeing Mattel's nearly featherless Austroraptor, I have to say I'd really like a BotM/Cyberzoic Austroraptor.  I think it could share parts with Dakotaraptor.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Count me in for a BotM Austroraptor. Excluding JP "Velociraptor" figures, dromaeosaurids are relatively rare in the market, and among dromaeosaurids, unenlagiines and halszkaraptorines are the most neglected, so I'm all for those.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on August 03, 2022, 06:51:44 PMAdding to my previous post I'd also like Nothosaurus and Rhamphorhynchus from the Water clan.
A Nothosaurus would be great. So would Rhamphorynchus although it would be tiny at 1:18! Maybe as an accessory to a larger animal?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Given how tiny the 1:18 BotM dromaeosaurs are, a Rhamphorhynchus would end up being the size of a PNSO miniature. Practically impossible to have articulation.

Similarly, I'm not sure a Cyberzoic Nothosaurus would be big enough and strong enough to accommodate armour and a human passenger. But we now have Deinonychus with humans riding on them, so maybe it would work!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Yeah, you guys are right regarding Rhamphorhynchus.  I was incorrectly remembering its wingspan as 2m, but it's actually around 1.80m which would make it smaller than the 1:18 Velociraptor, Linheraptor and Dromaeosaurus.  I think if David ever gets round to making sets of small accessory animals, maybe Rhamphorhynchus could be included, if not as an accessory to a  larger animal.  Dino-riders included Rhamphorhynchus though, so maybe we will see it in Cyberzoic too!

Regarding Nothosaurus, the species I'd like is N. mirabilis which was about the same size as Deinonychus.  So maybe it could have a similar use in Cyberzoic.  The humans aren't riding Deinonychus as far as I've seen.  An advantage for the Water clan in using Nothosaurus is its ability to go on land, unlike most marine reptiles.

Faelrin

Well since Beasts of the Cenozoic is officially a thing coming out next year (at least Smilodon is confirmed), here's my wishlist. I must stress I don't expect all of these to be made, let alone any more then just the Smilodon for now, but this is a mere list of the potential I'd like to see, since it only makes sense to have Beasts of the Cenozoic be a thing, if there's more then Smilodon coming.

Top ten here (from number 1-10):

-Aenocyon dirus/Dire wolf
-Mammuthus primigenius/Woolly mammoth (seen in concept art posted May 20, 2022, no sculpt yet thought; edit 8/11/24: coming to Eons Kickstarter with adult and baby)
-Thylacoleo carnifex
-Coelodonta antiquitatis/Woolly rhino (edit 11/16/23: confirmed to me at Legions Con, and in an earlier interview)
-Doedicurus clavicaudatus
-Megaloceros giganteus
-Paraceratherium transouralicum
-Hyaenodon (any species I guess)
-Daeodon shoshonensis
-any terror bird(s)

Everything else below:
Spoiler
Paleocene:
-Barinasuchus arveloi
-Carbonemys cofrinii
-Gastornis (any species I guess)
-Titanoboa cerrejonensis

Eocene:
-Ambulocetus natans
-Andrewsarchus mongoliensis (wish granted June 16, 2023)
-Arsinoitherium zitteli
-Dinictis felina
-Eohippus angustidens
-Megacerops coloradensis
-Mesohippus (any species I guess)
-Onychonycteris finneyi
-Uintatherium (either species)

Oligocene:
-Nimravus brachyops
-Pelagornis sandersi
-Quinkana (any species I guess)

Miocene:
-Amphicyon (any species I guess)
-Aptornis/Adzebill (any species I guess)
-Argentavis magnificens or other teratorns (edit 11/16/23: confirmed in Nov 2 live stream to be part of the lore, might eventually get a figure as well?)
-Borophagus (any species I guess)
-Ceratogaulus (any species I guess)
-Chalicotherium (any species I guess)
-Discokeryx xiezhi
-Dromornis planei/demon duck of doom
-Elasmotherium (any species I guess)
-Epicyon haydeni
-Machairodus (any species I guess)
-Macrauchenia (any species I guess)
-Meiolania (any species I guess)
-Pachycrocuta brevirostris/giant short-faced hyena
-Pinguinus impennis/Great auk
-Platybelodon grangeri (edit 8/11/24: coming to Eons Kickstarter)
-Purussaurus brasiliensis
-Simbakubwa kutokaafrika
-Sivatherium giganteum
-Synthetoceras tricornatus
-Thylacosmilus atrox

Pliocene:
-Castoroides (either species I guess)
-Dinofelis (any species I guess)
-Homotherium (any species I guess)
-Megatherium americanum
-Miracinonyx inexpectatus/American cheetah

Pleistocene:
-Aepyornis maximus
-Arctodus (both species)
-Arctotherium angustidens
-Bison latifrons/long-horned bison
-Bison priscus/Steppe bison
-Bos primigenius/Aurochs
-Cervalces scotti/stag-moose
-Crocuta crocuta spelaea/Cave hyena
-Deinotherium giganteum
-Dinornis (both species)
-Eucladoceros dicranios
-Hieraaetus moorei/Haast's Eagle
-Genyornis newtoni
-Glyptodon (any species I guess)
-Mammut americanum/American mastodon (and other species of Mammut)
-Mammuthus (any other species)
-Nothrotheriops shastensis/Shasta ground sloth
-Panthera spelaea/Cave lion
-Procoptodon (any species I guess)
-Thylacinus cynocephalus/Thylacine
-Ursus spelaeus/Cave bear
-Varanus priscus/Megalania

Holocene:
-Raphus cucullatus/Dodo

Probably many more as well.

Edit: Added species names, and sorted by period. Added Ambulocetus, Andrewsarchus, Arctodus, Arsinoitherium, Barinasuchus, Bison, Bos, Cervalces, Deinotherium, Dinornis, Discokeryx, Doedicurus, Elasmotherium, Eucladoceros, Glyptodon, Homotherium, Macrauchenia, Mammut, Megacerops, Megatherium, Meiolania, Nothrotheriops, Onychonycteris, Pelagornis, Procoptodon, Purussaurus, Quinkana, Sivatherium, Synthetoceras, Thylacinus, Uintatherium, and Varanus priscus.

I don't know how plausible how many of these would be, and I certainly don't expect all of them to be made, but figured I'd throw them out there anyways. I've also highlighted my top ten. Hope I'm not forgetting anything. I've excluded large marine animals like Basilosaurus, Livyatan, etc.

Edit 2: Added Carbonemys, and Titanoboa.

Edit 3: Added Aepyornis, Amphicyon, Aptornis, Arctotherium, Borophagus, Castoroides, Cave hyena, Ceratogaulus, Dinictis, Dinofelis, Dromornis, Epicyon, Genyornis, Machairodus, Nimravus, Pachycrocuta, Pinguinus, Raphus, and Simbakubwa.
[close]

Edit 4: Added top ten above, everything else below.

Edit 5 6/25/23: Crossed out Andrewsarchus mongoliensis.

Edit 6 8/11/24: Crossed out Mammuthus primigenius/woolly mammoth and Platybelodon.

Sim

With Beasts of the Cenozoic now existing, I've changed the title of this thread to "Creative Beast hopes and dreams".  So it can be used for hopes and dreams of anything from Creative Beast!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: