News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szajmin

Yes this true, they look more simple, more cartoonish, bu they are exceptions

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: suspsy on August 11, 2022, 03:28:15 AMSchleich's modern animals have seen a decline in overall quality in recent years as well, unfortunately.
One of their lines with some if their best figures ever (in my opinion) and that I proudly own many of was their 1:32 sea life line from 1996 to 2013. Especially the big whales with their calfs are just spectacular hefty figures with a great shelf presence. The newly repainted whale shark from 2013 is my favourite Schleich figure of all time. I remember wanting it so badly as a teenager but I was already kind of out of the age of collecting plastic figures, so I had to hunt it down as an adult later  :))

Spoiler

[close]

PrimevalRaptor

Yeah those sea life animals were a HUGE part of my childhood, I got the old whale shark back when I first got into school and when they released that newer one I HAD to get it cause it looked so real to me (and always was hoping for a giant squid from them since back then I didn't have the Safari one lol)
I'm glad that they do still have some good models given they're dominating the market over here but yeah, nowadays Schleich feels like russian roulette when they announce new models.
I mean sure e.g the Ceratosaurus back then was quite ugly but it does have a certain charm (and I'd love to find out why it turned out like this and in that scale)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 12, 2022, 12:36:25 AMI mean sure e.g the Ceratosaurus back then was quite ugly but it does have a certain charm (and I'd love to find out why it turned out like this and in that scale)
That would be interesting to find out how it could turn out that way  :)) especially since they worked together with a museum for that thing  ???
Their later (2008) and HUGE Apatosaurus figure is also one that I absolutely love and - in contrary to most other old Schleich dinos - will never leave my collection.  :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on August 12, 2022, 05:40:57 AM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on August 12, 2022, 12:36:25 AMI mean sure e.g the Ceratosaurus back then was quite ugly but it does have a certain charm (and I'd love to find out why it turned out like this and in that scale)
That would be interesting to find out how it could turn out that way  :)) especially since they worked together with a museum for that thing  ???
Their later (2008) and HUGE Apatosaurus figure is also one that I absolutely love and - in contrary to most other old Schleich dinos - will never leave my collection.  :)
Yes, the 2008 Apatosaurus has to be the highlight of that era for Schleich, though the Brachiosaurus of the same time was also impressive. I've really downsized my Schleich collection over the years, now confining it to two medium-sized boxes, the contents of which I occasionally trot out, but I make room for the Apato, despite its several out-dated aspects. Clearly it's partially hollow, otherwise its weight would be enormous, but it does occupy a substantial amount of volume nevertheless.

SBell

How does everyone remember that awful Ceratosaurus, but nobody ever brings up the nadir of the Replicasaurus figures, the Albertosaurus?
Other than a privately produced one out of Drumheller, it was the first figure of that species, and everything about it was just so wrong

Sim

avatar_SBell @SBell In the past in response to the original Schleich Ceratosaurus being described as the worst, I've expressed that I think the Schleich Albertosaurus is worse.  I still think that that Albertosaurus is worse than that Ceratosaurus.

SidB

Quote from: SBell on August 12, 2022, 02:39:07 PM

How does everyone remember that awful Ceratosaurus, but nobody ever brings up the nadir of the Replicasaurus figures, the Albertosaurus?
Other than a privately produced one out of Drumheller, it was the first figure of that species, and everything about it was just so wrong
I have that one from Drumheller and can also vouch that the Schleich one is abysmal ( check out the DTB review). "De gustibus non est disputandum" - both beauty and its counterpart are certainly in the eyes of the beholder.

PrimevalRaptor

I do like the Albertosaurus' pattern and colors a lot (nice departure from the classic Schleich browns) personally but yeah, even back when I got this as a kid the head just felt...off to me (well and it sure is lol)
I mostly got it cause as you said, back then there were no other Albertosaurus available but it sure is...an acquired taste

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on August 01, 2022, 12:15:18 AM
Quote from: SenSx on July 31, 2022, 01:56:10 PMThe Gallimimus is hyping me.
But it's Schleich...
Do you think it will be feathered or JP like ?

Hopefully it will be like the Oviraptor from a few years ago. We shall just have to cross our fingers and wait.

The same website has a "Shadow Raptor" listed for 2023 as part of the Eldrador fantasy line. It'll be coloured black and purple with translucent bits just like the other Shadow beasts:

https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/eldrador/products/shadow-dragon-70152.html

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, shall we start up a "New for 2023" subforum? We know this website to be reliable.

Yes, I'll set up the new sub-forum...

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

PrimevalRaptor

Those are...surprisingly decent?
The Tarbosaurus feels similiar to one of their other T.rex models but less malnourished and I really dig the coloration.
Monolophosaurus seems nice too even if the neck looks a bit short but that may be the angle (also would have preferred a splash of color for the crest).
Gastonia seems alright too, not too huge on ankylosaur anatomy but this feels better than their Animantarx, the red is also nice (Borealopelta inspired?).
The Edmontosaurus is clearly based on the JW one, the body and neck look kinda elongated to me, hm.
Gallimimus being decently feathered is a nice surprise, the model looks neat except for the hands, those look a bit awkward to me, waiting for more images there.

Overall a...really decent offering considering the usual Schleicht stuff...now if only last years Nothosaurus matched this quality.
Also can't believe to say this but I feel the Tarbosaurus is my favorite of the bunch.

Nyrorosaurus

Most of these are somewhat better than I was expecting (apart from the fantasy crystal raptor). Not a fan of that Edmontosaurus, though, especially the unguligrade hind legs

The Gallimimus reminds me of the Jurassic World Alive Struthiomimus, and I'm guessing that's what it's based on

The Tarbosaurus is like a more proportionate version of their most recent T. rex sculpt

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: DragonRider02 on August 03, 2022, 08:35:38 PMI am expecting the Monolophosaurus to be rip-off of this:
I think this is exactly what they based it on

Concavenator

Yeah, avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor ...

Also, that Gallimimus reminds me of John Conway's, I wonder if they took inspiration from it...

Schleich is similar to BotM in which both sometimes (well, in Schleich's case it's pretty much always) take inspiration from pop-culture references, but unlike BotM, Schleich doesn't reference the sources, so they present their work as if it was completely original. And the similarities end there!

Frankly, I expected worse from Schleich. It's not like I'll be getting any of these, but that doesn't stop me from admitting these are mostly an upgrade when compared to their awful Nothosaurus, Cryolophosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. Nevertheless, if Schleich really wanted to improve the quality of their figures, I would simply let Vlad Konstantinov sculpt all their prehistoric animal figures, as I said before. He's produced the best results so far.

postsaurischian

Thialfi

I really don't mind that gallimimus, might be tempted to pick it up. The feathers are sculpted well enough. Of course it's not without fault but just like the oviraptor some years ago they have pulled of a reasonable attempt at a species that's often overlooked.

Gastonia looks pretty decent as well, but doesn't really improve on the CollectA one which I already happily own. Might be tempted when it's on sale though!

The rest isn't really my cup of tea, though I have seen far worse from Schleich.

SidB

I rather like these. The Tarbosaurus is clearly based on their 2018 Conquering the Earth T-rex, but with a more fleshed-out, less Eli Kish/ pinched look. I like the paint job and don't mind the somewhat stylized aspect to the sculpt. Definitely like the Gastonia and appreciate the heavy feathering on the Gallimimus. Pleasantly surprised overall.

Shonisaurus

The Schleich 2023 figures are spectacular from my honest point of view, the Gastonia and the Edmontosaurus are beautiful, they are very well sculpted and the paint is of a great finish. They do not have to envy any other company. Gastonia is without a doubt my favorite figure of this species of dinosaur made by any toy dinosaur company.

The edmontosaurus is of the same quality as that of other companies such as Collecta or Safari to give two examples, I really like its paint application.

The monolophosaurus honestly does not convince me, I like the other companies better.

On the other hand, Schleich's tarbosaurus is beautiful, honestly what makes this figure ugly are the excessively long front legs and excessively large feet, on the other hand the paint application is very successful and the details of the head, body and tail they are quite good, although in this case I like the one from other companies better, but nevertheless it is acceptable.

The gallimimus is not bad at all but honestly I would like it to be less feathered, it reminds me a lot of the deinocheirus in terms of the duck's bill.

The fantastic dinosaur figure honestly does not interest me in this case and therefore I will pass on buying that figure.

Without a doubt my two favorite figures are the Edmontosaurus and Gastonia by far. Honestly, the Schleich company has made a lot of effort this year when it comes to making new figures. My overall grade is 7 out of 10. Magnificent work by Schleich 2023, acceptable although obviously it could be improved with regard to tarbosaurus and especially monolophosaurus, with regard to gallimimus it is somewhere in the middle. I think this year 2023 is much better than its predecessor 2022, which collectors are still enjoying.

The positive thing about Schleich is that they usually announce all the news for next year well in advance, which, in my case, as an impatient person, I appreciate it. Thanks for sharing the photos and links Renecito

KrazyKaprosuchus

Wow! I need that Gastonia and Gallimimus for sure. I'm surprised that each figure seems at least decent to me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: