News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2022

Started by Bread, October 24, 2021, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 17, 2022, 04:36:26 PMI mean we have a crumbling castle in the artwork and JP explorer track on the base.

The JP track (and subsequent fence that was announced alongside this figure) makes be think that those two parts were originally intended for a JP figure - or were always intended to be sold as separate parts. Nanmu could have easily decided that, logistically, selling the track base on its own wasn't worth it and instead bundled it along with a figure that would otherwise have a pretty niche audience. The fence is big and expensive enough to justify its own release, I'd say.

As for the castle - or whatever that crumbled structure is in the background - I have no clue what on earth that is or why they decided it was a good fit for the cover of this figure. I'm guessing it's to reference Mordred as some sort of medieval dragon? If that's true, then that lends further support to your argument that this figure is just as much a mix of species as it is a mix of ideas - and it's not entirely clear if all of those ideas should have made it to the final figure.

But if there's one thing I can say, it's this: if this is the level of quality we have to expect from Nanmu going forward, then I am truly impressed. I know their pricing has increased recently (in Nanmu's defense, so has everything else in the world), but wow that figure looks incredible. The paint and sculpt look amazing - and that's with Andy's lighting setup, which tends to cast harsh shadows and wash out colors.

I have the DX Green one on the way from Lana. I'm rather thrilled for its arrival. The figure looks very well constructed - even if the execution of ideas that lead up to its creation were not.
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on August 18, 2022, 09:56:19 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 17, 2022, 04:36:26 PMI mean we have a crumbling castle in the artwork and JP explorer track on the base.

The JP track (and subsequent fence that was announced alongside this figure) makes be think that those two parts were originally intended for a JP figure - or were always intended to be sold as separate parts. Nanmu could have easily decided that, logistically, selling the track base on its own wasn't worth it and instead bundled it along with a figure that would otherwise have a pretty niche audience. The fence is big and expensive enough to justify its own release, I'd say.

As for the castle - or whatever that crumbled structure is in the background - I have no clue what on earth that is or why they decided it was a good fit for the cover of this figure. I'm guessing it's to reference Mordred as some sort of medieval dragon? If that's true, then that lends further support to your argument that this figure is just as much a mix of species as it is a mix of ideas - and it's not entirely clear if all of those ideas should have made it to the final figure.

But if there's one thing I can say, it's this: if this is the level of quality we have to expect from Nanmu going forward, then I am truly impressed. I know their pricing has increased recently (in Nanmu's defense, so has everything else in the world), but wow that figure looks incredible. The paint and sculpt look amazing - and that's with Andy's lighting setup, which tends to cast harsh shadows and wash out colors.

I have the DX Green one on the way from Lana. I'm rather thrilled for its arrival. The figure looks very well constructed - even if the execution of ideas that lead up to its creation were not.

I guess if they had just called it dragon I would have been less disappointed as that is certainly tainting my overall opinion despite the quality. I just got my hopes up for a truly epic detailed Ultimasaurus ala Kenner inspired. Just not a Dino/Dragon/Kaiju.

Carnoking

Just caught the review and I've really got some mixed feelings. On one hand, the sculpt and layers of paint make this perhaps one of the most impressive Nanmu offerings to date from a technical standpoint, and that really is saying something. On the other hand, in their efforts to adapt an admittedly simplistic and cartoony toy design to a more "realistic" look, they added all these random design elements that just bury anything that says "dinosaur" about the piece. There are superficial details like horns, sickle claws, club tails and the like, but even those aren't enough to make this thing feel at home with the rest of Nanmu's pieces, and I think the comparison portion of Andy's video really nailed that point home. So yeah, really cool and well-done piece, so much so that I'm almost tempted to get it as a novelty. I just wish they had simplified their design for it just a little bit so it could still be recognizable as a dinosaur in some ways.

Sidenote, am I the only one seeing a bit of the Papo Running rex peeking through the face there?

Sturisoma

Dragon Soul Fence "Mordred"  :)) . From nonamesaurus on fb:

Sigh. Would have been fun to have lots of this in pvc so it would be cheaper and hardier.

dragon53

In the past when I posted Youtube dinosaur trailers and reviews, the image of the Youtube video appeared, but now when I post the link, only the link itself shows.

How do I post Youtube links so the Youtube video shows?

Carnoking

I saw a collector on Instagram do an unboxing and assembly of that fence. Turns out, it's very wobbly :o

dragon53

Here's a video of someone assembling the electric fence.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vy0CFMRt2M

cooksonia

Sturisoma

Quote from: dragon53 on August 21, 2022, 04:35:33 PMIn the past when I posted Youtube dinosaur trailers and reviews, the image of the Youtube video appeared, but now when I post the link, only the link itself shows.

How do I post Youtube links so the Youtube video shows?

There is a youtube icon on the top most part of replies. Next to insert image. On my laptop, it is above the angel emoji  O:-)

need4swede

Mordred - The King of Disaster
by Nanmu

- Swede

dragon53

Here's a video of Mordred and the fence.....thanks to STURISOMA for the posting info.

Sovereign59

I messaged Lanatimeshop to ask about the Soul of the Dragon Spinosaurus, but so far haven't heard anything back. If BBTS is sold out of their stock, and Lana is only getting a limited supply, where else is this even going to be available from?

I hope this isn't standard moving forward with multiple versions of figures from Nanmu. I'm very interested in both upcoming Giganotosaurus' versions, and really hope not to have to struggle to be able to find a place to order them from.

Bread

Quote from: Sovereign59 on August 22, 2022, 06:56:16 AMI messaged Lanatimeshop to ask about the Soul of the Dragon Spinosaurus, but so far haven't heard anything back. If BBTS is sold out of their stock, and Lana is only getting a limited supply, where else is this even going to be available from?

I hope this isn't standard moving forward with multiple versions of figures from Nanmu. I'm very interested in both upcoming Giganotosaurus' versions, and really hope not to have to struggle to be able to find a place to order them from.
Aliexpress seller, My Online Toy Store, has most nanmu products in stock. Highly recommend them if lana and BBTS are no longer an option for you.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sovereign59 on August 22, 2022, 06:56:16 AMI messaged Lanatimeshop to ask about the Soul of the Dragon Spinosaurus, but so far haven't heard anything back. If BBTS is sold out of their stock, and Lana is only getting a limited supply, where else is this even going to be available from?

Did Dan's Dinosaurs mention if he was getting them?

Sovereign59

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 22, 2022, 02:58:38 PMDid Dan's Dinosaurs mention if he was getting them?

I was hoping so, but this rules it out, correct?

"Due to previous manufacturer issues with product fragility, no resin version of this figure is currently available to preorder in Dan's Dinosaurs. All listed versions are PVC. "

That's what is listed on the page for the other Spinosaurus preorder from Dan's Dinosaurs.

Carnoking

It's either indicative of retailers not wanting to deal with the headache and risk of selling the limited edition stuff or there's a really high demand for that Spino...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on August 23, 2022, 05:25:52 AMIt's either indicative of retailers not wanting to deal with the headache and risk of selling the limited edition stuff or there's a really high demand for that Spino...

Could be the risk of how fragile the brachio was but they claim to have fixed that.  It's also VERY popular from all the comments i've seen..so maybe a bit of both?

Halichoeres

Also Dan drop-ships from China, so he never handles the merchandise and probably doesn't want to be on the hook for packing that he can't guarantee.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

blnadal

Carnoking

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: