News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pliosaurking

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at these reveals
I like the tarbosaurus and monolophosaurus, for Schleich their actually pretty good. And I'll be picking up both
The Gastonia is really nice on first impressions, can't wait to see it in hand
As for the other 2 the Edmontosaurus paint scheme is nice although it's literally just the Jwe colour scheme. The sculpt on the other hand is too lanky
The gallimimus is okay the beak and hands are a bit odd, but at least it's feathered
Overall this is one of their better line ups of the past few years
I do want to see what these look like in hand though, as Schleich figures sometimes look better or worse in hand.

TooOldForDinosaurs

I've expected far worse, so I am too pleasantly surprised about those images. I'm no big theropod guy anyway but Schleich somehow always manages to drive me away from that clade even more. While they have already produced some aesthetically pleasing ornithopods (;D) their big theropods just always look so childrens toy like (which of course they are so whats my point ???) To get to the point, I too might pick up this Gallimimus and maybe even the Edmontosaurus. I'm thinking about "removing" the crest and remodelling & -painting it into a Maiasaura... - even though I've never attempted anything like that. I quite like the pose (minus the giraffe neck).

Libraraptor

At best I regard the Gastonia as halfway successful. If it wasn´t for its horrible hind feet, the Edmontosaurus would be decent, too. The other ones are designed in that same old sloppy, loveless and uninspired Schleich manner. It seems they have no designers at all.

Jose S.M.

Gastonia looks nice, I would like to know if it's more accurate than the CollectA one which is very charming but I don't know how accurate it is and is also small.
Edmontosaurus doesn't look too bad but it's not close to Safari and CollectA offerings for the same animal though it looks like a good candidate for customization.
Gallimimus looks pretty nice but it's a shame about the pose, I really don't like those poses except when they are more subtle like Safari's Velociraptor and Anzu.
I don't care about the big Theropods but they aren't the worst from Schleich.

suspsy

I've added the images to the OP.  :)

I was a bit worried that the Shadow Raptor would be an all black repaint like the Shadow Rex that got released this year. This beast is pretty cool as far as fantasy monster toys go.

And the actual dinosaurs really aren't all that bad, thankfully. The Tarbosaurus' shrink-wrapped skull and the Edmontosaurus' limbs are unfortunate, but none of them are a bona fide disaster like the Nothosaurus.

Unless CollectA or Safari releases a Gallimimus as well next year, Schleich can boast that they've made the most accurate Gallimimus to date.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

Count me in as pleasantly surprised with these reveals, particularly the Gallimimus; I will seriously consider picking up that one after release.
The hands look weird on the Galli; are they balled up and pronated? Otherwise as mentioned, it's funny that Schleich of all companies now has the best Galli in the running for the market.

Carnoking

I haven't bought a schleich figure in years but I appreciate the Gastonia and Gallimimus figure so much that I'm half tempted to go on a little shopping spree and pick up all the other decent ones I've slept on.

bmathison1972

these aren't half bad, especially the Gastonia and Gall...Gall..Galli...Gallimimus. Not sure if I'll invest in any but nice to see some good offerings here.

Takama

Am i the ONLY ONE who sees a Suspicious simalarity between the "Tarbosaurus" and their Most Recent T.Rex Sculpt?

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Takama on August 23, 2022, 04:24:23 PMAm i the ONLY ONE who sees a Suspicious simalarity between the "Tarbosaurus" and their Most Recent T.Rex Sculpt?

I noticed this too. I like that the Tarbo takes the elements I like from the rex figure but has overall better proportions

suspsy

The Tarbosaurus is definitely similar, but it still appears to be a brand new sculpt.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on August 23, 2022, 04:36:34 PMThe Tarbosaurus is definitely similar, but it still appears to be a brand new sculpt.

the only similarities I see is that they are big theropods. Head sculpt, body sculpt, proportions, and color are all clearly different.

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on August 23, 2022, 04:36:34 PMThe Tarbosaurus is definitely similar, but it still appears to be a brand new sculpt.
While a new sculpt, clearly there are similarities in the stylization. It's good, as far as I'm concerned, as I liked the 2018 rex. Plus the color scheme is better.

Faelrin

Just got up. Wow these all look really decent. That Gallimimus is a must and should pair nicely with Kaiyodo's Ornithomimus from this year.

Also yes I know that Edmontosaurus is based on the Jurassic World website design like last year's Parasaurolophus (but like they took it a step further and added the crest of the JWE one). They also based the Baryonyx on the Suchomimus design if I recall right.

I think you called it avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 as far as that Monolophosaurus design goes. I wonder who the original artist is for the artwork. Anyone know?

The Gastonia also has similar coloration of the Mattel 2020 Jurassic World Savage Strike Sauropelta, or the 2020 Attack Pack Minmi. I mean red body with white spikes.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on August 23, 2022, 06:21:29 PMI think you called it avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 as far as that Monolophosaurus design goes. I wonder who the original artist is for the artwork. Anyone know?
I believe the original art is by Dinoraul

Flaffy

Not bad, not bad at all... for Schleich. Save for the absolutely horrendous Edmontosaurus, all the others are relatively inoffensive. The three theropods in particular look rather pleasing. Hopefully in-hand pics will give us a better idea of the general proportions of these new figures.

Gastonia would've been great if the legs weren't so long. Reminds me of the wonky proportions of the JW Ankylosaurus desgin.
Still a vast improvement over their recent Animantrax and Ankylosaurus.

stargatedalek

To be honest I think I'm more impressed with the weird laser raptor, I appreciate a fun art style gimmick and a lot of the Eldrador creatures make great use of it with their ample translucent plastic.

The Gallimimus could have been something but those hands are a mess and the beak looks all kinds of wrong.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nothing really for me..but it could have worse..a lot worse. ;)

terrorchicken

nope dont like any of these. The gallimimus is probably the closest to decent but still not worth picking up for me when I have a bunch of other priority figures on my list.

MLMjp

Tarbosaurus is alright, wished it didn't have those scutes on it's back.
(I was kinda looking forward to this one but I just remembered that the PNSO version exist)

Monolophosaurus is your usual schleich theropod. Gastonia is nice but I agree that the legs are too long. The Edmontosaurus proportions are just horrible, which it´s a shame cause the sculpted detail is not too bad. And yes, shameless JW copy on the colors

I like the feathering on the Gallimimus. But what exactly is going on with it's hands? I hope that looks better in person cause I am interested in this figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: