News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

I'd take that bright green over yet another figure done in yellow-ish tones. I'm tired of it.

Sim

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp, I find it strange how often yellow is used on Safari prehistoric figures.  I'm tired of it too.

Shane

Hey guys,

To address the differences between the review samples of Zuul and the production versions.

There is definitely some variation between individual pieces, in the amount of wash, green, yellow, etc. That's just the nature of an item produced in large numbers.

However, having seen the early review samples and the production version in hand, I can say that a lot of the perceived difference is due to the lighting in photos and videos.

I would say Dinoscream's review is pretty accurate in terms of the coloration (not necessarily the thumbnail, but the actual video):

He does also mention there not being quite as much paint coverage on the beak. This is something Safari is aware of that will be addressed in future production runs.

Faelrin

Thanks for stepping in and sharing what's been going on with this one. Really looking forward to getting this one (hopefully after the Cryolophosaurus comes in, or sometime afterwards), and good to see that Safari is looking into rectifying the issue with the beak. Reminds me of the Iguanodon that erroneously had the pinkie digit painted like a claw that was eventually fixed (which was the version I managed to get my hands on back in 2017 I think).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on August 26, 2022, 08:01:15 PMHe does also mention there not being quite as much paint coverage on the beak. This is something Safari is aware of that will be addressed in future production runs.

Is Safari aware of the erroneous "lipstick" paint as well S @Shane ? The beak paint shouldn't extend onto the fleshy cheek tissue based on the promo shots and early review copies.

Same goes for the yellow eye paint which extends far past where it should be.

Shane

We have made recommendations for future production runs.

There are some smaller details where variation from piece to piece is unavoidable with full production runs.

I just wanted to let folks know that the coloration differences are not quite as striking as they might look in some photos and videos.

Gwangi

Well if it's going to be addressed in future production runs I might hold off on the Zuul for now.

Dilopho

Quote from: Faelrin on August 26, 2022, 08:15:39 PMReminds me of the Iguanodon that erroneously had the pinkie digit painted like a claw that was eventually fixed (which was the version I managed to get my hands on back in 2017 I think).
It seems Iguanodon always has bad luck with finger paint, I remember the old CollectA brown Iguanodon has its thumb claw painted as if it was a normal finger too, with only the tip of it being claw-black.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Faelrin on August 26, 2022, 08:15:39 PMThanks for stepping in and sharing what's been going on with this one. Really looking forward to getting this one (hopefully after the Cryolophosaurus comes in, or sometime afterwards), and good to see that Safari is looking into rectifying the issue with the beak. Reminds me of the Iguanodon that erroneously had the pinkie digit painted like a claw that was eventually fixed (which was the version I managed to get my hands on back in 2017 I think).
Anyone got a pic of the early iguanodon? I dont remember when I got mine one

Prehistory Resurrection

Thialfi

Hey S @Shane, I had a question: do you know when new Safari products might hit Europe? I understand that shipping lines and such are still in turmoil and I have all the patience in the world, just curious. Thanks!

Shane

Quote from: Thialfi on August 28, 2022, 07:37:24 PMHey S @Shane, I had a question: do you know when new Safari products might hit Europe? I understand that shipping lines and such are still in turmoil and I have all the patience in the world, just curious. Thanks!

I can't give an exact date, it depends on when the European distributor places their orders, but it shouldn't be too long. Sorry I can't give more of a firm answer.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on August 26, 2022, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: Shane on August 26, 2022, 08:01:15 PMHe does also mention there not being quite as much paint coverage on the beak. This is something Safari is aware of that will be addressed in future production runs.

Is Safari aware of the erroneous "lipstick" paint as well S @Shane ? The beak paint shouldn't extend onto the fleshy cheek tissue based on the promo shots and early review copies.

Same goes for the yellow eye paint which extends far past where it should be.

The pupil paint actually overlaps the eyelids too, at least on my copy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

A tyrant and a demon arrived:

If I have to pick a favorite between the two, I think I would pick the Albertosaurus, just for the paint apps quality. Both figures have great sculpts, but the Zuul would definitely improve with a little more quality control and probably a darker wash to the green. To be fair, I also still think the Alberto would benefit from less of a cutoff between the dark head and the aqua body patterns, as the current design looks a bit jarring.

I'm delighted with them both, however. Now to wait for the Cryo.

Stegotyranno420

A Tyrant named Albert  ;D
I really like your pictures btw. Nice photography

Thialfi

Quote from: Shane on August 29, 2022, 01:28:09 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on August 28, 2022, 07:37:24 PMHey S @Shane, I had a question: do you know when new Safari products might hit Europe? I understand that shipping lines and such are still in turmoil and I have all the patience in the world, just curious. Thanks!

I can't give an exact date, it depends on when the European distributor places their orders, but it shouldn't be too long. Sorry I can't give more of a firm answer.

No worries at all, thank you for your answer and for taking out the time to provide us with your insider knowledge. I'm eagerly anticipating these beautiful releases!

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon thanks for sharing these beautiful photos of equally beautiful figures!

Fembrogon

It's my pleasure! It's sort of a relief to have these figures at last; this has been a funky year for Safari ltd., but even with the delays I think these two at least proved worth it.

profnik

I'm saving wild safari prehistoric world collection is cryolophosaurus for Christmas 2022 December 🎄🎁 :D right after I'm getting wild safari prehistoric world collection of albertosaurus and Dino Dana collection Zuul.

Brocc21

I was honestly very excited for Zuul, but after seeing some of the in hand photos its just very... meh? The paint is just very dull and flat, the promo images were darker and the paint had more depth to it. It seems top be missing the dark wash of the original pics. If I was a competent painter I'd try and repaint mine. I still might get it.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Skorpio V.

Quote from: suspsy on August 26, 2022, 12:18:17 AMMy only disappointment is in its puniness. Zuul is the second largest known ankylosaur from North America after Ankylosaurus itself, with a length of six metres and an estimated mass of 2500 kg. But next to the Albertosaurus, this one looks like a juvenile.

At 6 meters, that'd make a 1:35 scale model about 17.1 centimeters. This is about half a centimeter above that, and 1:35 is already a sweet spot. You can want it to be taller, but people are already complaining about the Schleich Gastonia having lanky legs. This is a perfect size for me!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: