You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

need4swede

They don't inspect the figures. Lana Time Shop has inspected my figures before, and they even add extra cushioning and protection inside some of them (my most recent Nanmu purchase from them came with additional cotton padding, and a little bonus figure). BBTS doesn't warrant returns if the figure has 'minor cosmetic paint issues', so hopefully these figures didn't get banged around too much.
- Swede

Bread

Well, my Kiss variant's bottom jaw is starting to slowly open. Right after my previous post on my custom collection thread, I decided to open the mouth up. Luckily it shuts back very well but shame that even if I had kept the model's mouth closed, it seems it will just eventually act on gravity and the bottom will pry itself open...

*Sighs* I shouldn't really complain as I've seen others have far worse mouth gap issues with their model. Mine on the other hand is now having this front gap for the most part. Again, I never opened the figure's mouth before. 1 week and it's bottom jaw slowly moved down.

Duna

avatar_Bread @Bread Yep, my Kiss's mouth has slipped like that, too. To keep it closed maybe you can slip the tip of a toothpick under the lower mandible, under the chin. It will stop the jaw from slipping.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Duna on September 10, 2022, 09:25:58 AMavatar_Bread @Bread Yep, my Kiss's mouth has slipped like that, too. To keep it closed maybe you can slip the tip of a toothpick under the lower mandible, under the chin. It will stop the jaw from slipping.

i suppose you could always just glue it shut. kind of looks to me like they are just breathing though.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 10, 2022, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: Duna on September 10, 2022, 09:25:58 AMavatar_Bread @Bread Yep, my Kiss's mouth has slipped like that, too. To keep it closed maybe you can slip the tip of a toothpick under the lower mandible, under the chin. It will stop the jaw from slipping.

i suppose you could always just glue it shut. kind of looks to me like they are just breathing though.
The unseen toothpick idea  of avatar_Duna @Duna is a good one and obviously less drastic than gluing, which seems kind of final in a negative way. Then again, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , I feel the same way about the very slight opening action - it does look like breathing. Not a major problem or game changer as far as I'm concerned. Minor imperfections are unavoidable whether they manifest at the beginning or appear later. The key, IMO, is not to make a major problem out of a small one. Robs one of the joy of collecting and creates the scourge of perfectionism.

need4swede

Would using double-sided tape between the tongue and the roof of the mouth work? Or even just folding a piece of tape in half to hold both sides together.
- Swede

Over9K

Quote from: need4swede on September 11, 2022, 09:26:04 AM

Would using double-sided tape between the tongue and the roof of the mouth work? Or even just folding a piece of tape in half to hold both sides together.

Or perhaps a bit of BluTac mounting putty?

need4swede

Exactly - anything of that nature should work, I would think. Some sort of adhesive that could hold the top and bottom jaw together from the inside without running the risk of damaging the figure or having to make any drastic alterations. I've used adhesive to accomplish similar things to other figures, where gravity was effecting a part of the figure more than what I would have liked it to.
- Swede

Bread

As mentioned, super glue or blutac will be either option. Waiting for my second copy to come in to first examine which one should be the candidate for the glue. Besides, I'm one who likes closed mouths.

I'll post updates soon.

Faelrin

Still waiting for my order from BBTS to ship. Still "processing". 
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

I'm in the same boat. No matter the progress, BBTS loves making us wait

Over9K

I got Kiss from Happy Hen Toys, but I'm getting Tusk from BBTS, and they sent me an email letting me know they were dropping the price by $4.50 because they did not receive any examples with undamaged packaging. Hopefully, the damage is limited to just the box, and the figure is fine.

Carnoking

And once again as soon as I post about it, I get an update. My rex figures are on the way! Weirdly enough, all the items in my order are listed as  standard grade, I wasn't told they only had damaged boxes to send out so I certainly hope they show up in good shape.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on September 13, 2022, 03:46:57 AMAnd once again as soon as I post about it, I get an update. My rex figures are on the way! Weirdly enough, all the items in my order are listed as  standard grade, I wasn't told they only had damaged boxes to send out so I certainly hope they show up in good shape.

The email says "no Standard Grade items are available", which I took to mean they didn't get any. I will admit I put my order in very, very late, and I'm guessing what Standard Grade examples they did get would go first ordered/first served, so I'm sure yours is fine.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Both my HC T. rex and Rebor Kiss have shipped from BBTS as well. Both of mine are listed as "Standard Grade". I believe Substandard is for damaged packages, etc, like mentioned on the product page?

In any case I'm excited. Got one haul that should be heading to me this week, and now this on its way.

Edit: By the way Kiss is showing up as in stock on BBTS for me. Just thought I would give a heads up!
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

I saw a couple sub-standard copies go up on BBTS a little while back and decided to snag one for a few dollars cheaper. I sent it to my Pile of Loot, so I won't be seeing it for some time, but yeah, hopefully the figure itself is okay.

Bread

Just received my second Kiss from BBTS.

No wonder they marked these as substandard. The Rebor box had a hole in it size of a quarter, of course no images since I immediately chucked it like all of my boxes. Figure was completely fine though.

To add, figure is not really a dud, but in terms of the last one I acquired from Happy Hen Toys, it is a downgrade. Jaw does not close and tail fits horribly. Not smooth whatsoever and hangs out of the back of the figure. Once I took the rubber bands off the mouth, the jaw dropped and so did mine. Luckily, this one is being sent off to be repainted and make that tail seem disappear so I am not really so annoyed by this. Honestly I am glad to have received the perfect Kiss variant from Happy Hen Toys.

I'll post before and after pictures once I get back my second Kiss. For now, she'll be placed in a box ready to ship out ;D

Carnoking

The wait was grueling but they're finally here!

So nice to finally be able to join this party. Both these guys look great!

I breathed a sign of relief when I removed Kiss' muzzle and saw the jaw didn't just flop down. You can still see the teeth poking out at the very tip of the snout but by and large I'm satisfied with how it looks. I haven't tested the articulation for fear of it not closing flush after I open it for the first time but that's okay. It could have a fixed jaw like my first Wilson for all I care, it's staying shut to show off those luscious lips :-*

Even the tail went in easily enough for me. Sure, there's still a seam, but I was worried there'd be much more of a gap. Overall, I'd say my luck was in.

That is until I noticed some paint wear along the snout  ::) . Oh well, a little dry brush and wash covered it well enough but still annoying.

Tusk isn't without issues. This is about as far as I can get the jaw to open. Any further and it'll just float back to this, which is a bit unfortunate. I figured this was the one that would look good with the mouth fully open but what can you do I guess?

All in all, a great showcase from REBOR. These two have a strong presence, I'm glad to finally have them.

The bases are also nice, although my Winter Tears arrived with a sizable chip in it. Luckily I was able to find the piece and glue it back on but again, annoying.

Bread

Congratulations avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking! Based on the images it looks like Tusk tail has no seam line, does Tusk tail sit better than Kiss?

Also, unfortunate about the chipping of the base. I've been tempted to order these but I keep seeing folks who receive chipped bases. Oh well, they still look splendid.

Fenestra

My outer box was also damaged. The figure inside was fine though.
But I do believe these latest shipments around the world for the T-Rex beasts and bases from Rebor have seen some rough seas.
They were either crammed in sea containers or been rolling around in them.  ;D
It's unfortunate to see the chipped bases. Resin is not as forgiving as plastic when handled a little rough.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: