News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Thialfi on August 30, 2022, 01:09:07 PMI don't want to start assuming too hastily, but one can hope, right? 👀

Was thinking about this. Still hoping this becomes something, I NEED a line of prehistoric planet figures, would be awesome. Also wondering if this would mean PNSOS prehistoric planet figures would have lips or not.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on September 16, 2022, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on August 30, 2022, 01:09:07 PMI don't want to start assuming too hastily, but one can hope, right? 👀

Was thinking about this. Still hoping this becomes something, I NEED a line of prehistoric planet figures, would be awesome. Also wondering if this would mean PNSOS prehistoric planet figures would have lips or not.
Theyre branded figures so yes
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Leyster

Quotea representation of a generic spinosaurid that shouldn't even be one because it was a plesiosaur of some sort, so it feels like a prank to all of us who were anticipating a Suchomimus. And I wouldn't be bothered by anything of this if Sinopliosaurus was indeed a spinosaurid
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator "Sinopliosaurus" fusuiensis IS a spinosaurid. There is not much discussion on this that I'm aware of.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

postsaurischian

It's a bit tiring to read about all those hopes and dreams again.
 In order to discuss PNSO themes that are not about the 2022 figures, please use another thread C:-) !
 Here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9946.120
 or here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4503.3380
 Thank you O:-) .

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Leyster on September 17, 2022, 09:44:09 AM
Quotea representation of a generic spinosaurid that shouldn't even be one because it was a plesiosaur of some sort, so it feels like a prank to all of us who were anticipating a Suchomimus. And I wouldn't be bothered by anything of this if Sinopliosaurus was indeed a spinosaurid
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator "Sinopliosaurus" fusuiensis IS a spinosaurid. There is not much discussion on this that I'm aware of.

What is there to discuss? avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator is correct to say that Sinopliosaurus isn't a spinosaurid. To continue to attach an existing plesiosaur genus name to some indeterminate spinosaurid teeth, even in inverted commas alongside the (also invalid) species name, is to perpetuate a known error and muddy the waters.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 17, 2022, 10:15:16 AMIt's a bit tiring to read about all those hopes and dreams again.
 In order to discuss PNSO themes that are not about the 2022 figures, please use another thread C:-) !
 Here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9946.120
 or here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4503.3380
 Thank you O:-) .

I just tried to tease apart the off-topic discussion and move it to the appropriate thread. A bit tricky but did my best.

Remember, folks, please stay on topic.  C:-)

Leyster

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum it's still the only pubblished name those teeth have. Unless you want to refer them by catalogue number. Also using quotation marks for specimens which certainly do not belong to that genus is quite widespread (see ie. Soto et al. 2020), so I don't see where is the issue in using "Sinopliosaurus" fusuiensis as long as there is the specific name attached. Also I don't see why the specific name should be invalid?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Leyster on September 17, 2022, 02:09:15 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum it's still the only pubblished name those teeth have. Unless you want to refer them by catalogue number. Also using quotation marks for specimens which certainly do not belong to that genus is quite widespread (see ie. Soto et al. 2020), so I don't see where is the issue in using "Sinopliosaurus" fusuiensis as long as there is the specific name attached. Also I don't see why the specific name should be invalid?

Buffetaut et al. (2008, p. 747) stated:

"...we suggest that the teeth...described as Sinopliosaurus fusuiensis belong to an animal closely related to, if not identical with, Siamosaurus suteethorni."..."We therefore refer the teeth from the Napai Formation originally described as Sinopliosaurus fusuiensis to a spinosaurid theropod closely similar to Siamosaurus."

Subsequently, Wongko et al. (2019) call the teeth "Chinese Siamosaurus".

So, according to the most recent publications, the teeth - and the animal to which they belong - should be called Siamosaurus. Or, a more cautious approach in my opinion would be to name them, cf. Siamosaurus. But a precedent has been set.

The species 'fusuiensis' is invalid because the teeth possess no specific diagnostic characteristics. If they did we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. This is implicit following the referral of the material to Siamosaurus, but it was previously mentioned in the academic literature, for example, Sato et al. (2003, p.30) said: "Other plesiosaurian fossils (Sinopliosaurus weiyuanensis Young 1944 , S. fusuiensis Hou et al. 1975) are very fragmentary and apparently non-diagnostic".

There are times when it is justified to put a genus name in inverted commas alongside a species name, I've done it myself in publications for valid species that haven't been referred to a new genus yet. This isn't one of those times.

Even the plesiosaur 'Sinopliosaurus weiyuanensis' is invalid. Buffetaut et al. (2008) confirm it "should certainly be considered as a nomen dubium".

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum.  That response is a model of clarity amid all the murk.

Loon

Thanks for the info avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, especially since I didn't really get all the debate about the name. I think this looks like  a great figure, but the genericness of it makes me lose all interest. I know it's petty, but yeah.

Renecito

Jacques the Deinocheirus

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Thialfi

Mon Dieu, il est très beau!

GojiraGuy1954

How the hell did PNSO of all companies make that

Joel1905

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 24, 2022, 01:33:25 PMHow the hell did PNSO of all companies make that

What is that supposed to mean?

suspsy

He's definitely prettier than both his CollectA and Safari brethren, but I do worry about Jacques' stability. Front heavy with small feet.  :-\
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Joel1905 on September 24, 2022, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 24, 2022, 01:33:25 PMHow the hell did PNSO of all companies make that

PNSO makes bad theropods and this is genuinely one of the best deinocheirus reconstructions I have ever seen

Bread

Yesssss! It's perfect!

Now please, cause I don't just want to rely on my own math, it is about 1:35 scale? If not, bigger?!?

Holy crap, I am hyped!

Joel1905

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 24, 2022, 01:44:53 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on September 24, 2022, 01:34:19 PM

PNSO makes bad theropods and this is genuinely one of the best deinocheirus reconstructions I have ever seen

Bad Theropods? What? This is the first time I've heard this... you genuinely think their Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Yutyrannus etc are bad? That's a reach.

KrazyKaprosuchus

YES it looks gorgeous! Instant buy from me! And by my (questionable) math, it seems to be around 1:35 scale!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: