News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

I'll be honest, your base excites me more that your repaint, tho both are really excellent.  The base/diorama work is so much more interesting to me because it involves placing these wonderful animals in an environment and bringing that to life also.   The possibilities are so much greater!   :))

I assume you've seen avatar_irimali @irimali's diorama page?
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Totoro on July 30, 2022, 10:47:12 PMI'll be honest, your base excites me more that your repaint, tho both are really excellent.  The base/diorama work is so much more interesting to me because it involves placing these wonderful animals in an environment and bringing that to life also.   The possibilities are so much greater!   :))

I assume you've seen avatar_irimali @irimali's diorama page?

I understand. :) I plan on doing bases too for some figures that I don't intend to repaint because of the very point you make.

I had not, as a matter of fact - but I have now looked into it and marked the page with all the useful tips on doing plants. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on July 23, 2022, 04:22:00 PMThank you all for your kind feedback! I'm keeping the plant then S @SidB avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian   :)

Thanks for the great tip avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs ! I really only chose FIMO because I had some experience working with it but I'm excited to try out new stuff and slowly but surely dive deeper into this new hobby.  ^-^  I've checked out your custom work - it looks absolutely fantastic! Do you coat your repaints after painting them with any sort of fixative so the color doesn't come off that easily and/ or do you have any recommendations what to use for that?
Thanks in advance!

Thank you very much :) I started to coat the Bases (Okay, they are already coated in Isopropanol and PVA Glue + Water Mix, but still.) and the Repaints in Matte or Semi gloss (Depends) Clear Coat. I just use a can from the Hardware Store / Action / Tedi. I use mostly cheap stuff, but better Paint is often great. The first repaints weren't clear coated, so i can chance them easily without adding paintlayer upon Paintlayer. But when it comes to Repaints and Painting Animals, i am far from expirienced. :D Next week i will finish the rex Diorama. I will definitly write something in regards to clearcoats now :) Looking forward to new Works from you.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on July 31, 2022, 10:11:13 PMThank you very much :) I started to coat the Bases (Okay, they are already coated in Isopropanol and PVA Glue + Water Mix, but still.) and the Repaints in Matte or Semi gloss (Depends) Clear Coat. I just use a can from the Hardware Store / Action / Tedi. I use mostly cheap stuff, but better Paint is often great. The first repaints weren't clear coated, so i can chance them easily without adding paintlayer upon Paintlayer. But when it comes to Repaints and Painting Animals, i am far from expirienced. :D Next week i will finish the rex Diorama. I will definitly write something in regards to clearcoats now :) Looking forward to new Works from you.

Alright, thanks! That sounds great, I will definitely check that out! :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

So this is not really a repaint, but it is custom (and I won't open another thread for this). I took inspiration from the Carnegie Maiasaura nest with the hatchlings and have sculpted my very own Maiasaura nest with eggs today. Ultimately the plan is to sculpt a base to put the two nests and the Battat Maiasaura on. Im planning on finishing this new project as soon as possible and will keep updating about it on here.  :) Here are some pictures:

Let me know what you think  ^-^

Edit: I know the number of eggs is technically way too low but it gets the job done for the diorama.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Basic sculpt for the base is done. I'll add more interesting terrain to the base when applying the mixture of sand, rocks and mod podge. Thinking about a desert or dry soil style on this one. On the Mastodonsaurus base I added a felt on the bottom. Not sure if I should do the same here (would be the one in the picture) or if I should try to add a layer of thin wood below.

Halichoeres

Looking good! I bet lots of nests ended up with fewer than the maximum number of eggs after a visit or two from some marauding theropods or lizards.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 29, 2022, 11:15:26 PMLooking good! I bet lots of nests ended up with fewer than the maximum number of eggs after a visit or two from some marauding theropods or lizards.
Thank you! Haha thats true and a very good excuse. ;D

TooOldForDinosaurs

Decided to go with wood to put the base on  :)

Totoro

This is wonderful avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs!  You cut the wood with a scroll saw or jigsaw?  Very nice work!  So fun to watch the process, thank you for sharing.  Can't wait to see the finished project.  I think creating custom bases and figures is such a cool way to immerse yourself in the hobby - just wish I had a fraction of the talent some of you demonstrate! ;D
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Totoro @Totoro I appreciate it, thank you!  :)  I used a jigsaw. I pretty much improvise on everything... ;D The sanding paper I used was literally the only piece of sanding paper I had lying around at home haha. I also still use FIMO for scultping since I have and know how to use that. When I've done a few more small projects I will probably get some proper materials and plan my projects. For right now I'm often just going for it and I look how it turns out.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Hoorayy. I've finally found some time again to work on some customs. I really felt like repainting a figure today and had a certain one in mind for a while now... The Safari Camarasaurus.

This figure has been collecting dust in a back row on my display shelf and has not gotten a lot of my attention since aquiring it. The reason: I reaaaallyy hated the paintjob - which is very unfortunate because the sculpt is fantastic.

Priming done.

I decided to go with some flashy colors because I own enough green, grey and brown sauropods already.

Work done - it did not turn out exactly as I had it in mind but I still like the result a lot.  :)

Friendly smirk

Desk shot

Desk shot with arrangement of sauropods. The color scheme really makes him/ her stand out.

Let me know what you think ^-^

Pliosaurking

Great job! It's refreshing to see bright colours on a sauropod instead of the drab browns, greys, and greens.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Pliosaurking on September 28, 2022, 06:25:48 PMGreat job! It's refreshing to see bright colours on a sauropod instead of the drab browns, greys, and greens.
Thank you!  :)

ceratopsian

I would give him a space on my shelf. Distinctive in a good way.

SidB

Striking! A neglected coloration that really seems to work at your hands.

TooOldForDinosaurs

TooOldForDinosaurs

Today I've decided my Camarasaurus with its glamorous new paint job deserves a custom base. I started with a cheap picture frame. I sculpted the terrain directly on the plywood back with FIMO and gave the frame a black paint coat.

After masking off the border with tape, I then added sand with mod podge and let it dry. I painted the base, gave it some washes and dry brushed the highlights. Lastly I added some dried sticks, some small stone pieces and moss for detail.

I assembled the parts and voilĂ :

The repainted Camarasaurus with its (simple) custom base:

:)

SidB

Good, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , it does the job without distracting the attention from the Camarasaurus.

ceratopsian

A simple base certainly sets any model off.  I think they're always worth the bit of extra space they consume!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: