News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on October 11, 2022, 02:15:47 PM
Quote from: Shane on October 11, 2022, 01:33:50 PMI'm still a bit mystified by the price comparisons with PNSO that keep coming up. Any PNSO sauropod of similar size to the Patagotitan would easily cost twice as much.

This is gospel right here.

Agreed. The $30, 15" Safari Patagotitan is the same price as the 7" PNSO Pachycephalosaurus.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on October 11, 2022, 02:05:05 PMWhile I agree that PNSO and Safari products are fundementally different in so many ways, this comparison might not hold with the release of the Lingwulong. The Lingwulong retails for £48, and the Patagotitan at £30. Both figures are of similar length, but the Lingwulong is noticeably the larger and taller figure. So by that logic if we shrunk the Lingulong down to the Patagotitan's size, I'd reckon it approaching the £40 mark.

In PNSO's US Amazon store, which is basically akin to buying direct from PNSO (at least in the US), the Lingwulong is $66.99, compared to $29.99 MSRP for the Patagotitan.

Given that even much smaller items in the Museum Line are still in the $60 USD price range, I don't think shaving a few inches off the Lingwulong would bring that much off the price.

I'm not knocking PNSO, they make a high quality product, I just think it's an odd comparison to make when there is a wide gulf between prices of comparable Safari items.

I've seen the comparison brought up a few times by different members on this forum and it just doesn't add up to me when you look at the actual numbers.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on October 11, 2022, 02:37:46 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on October 11, 2022, 02:05:05 PMWhile I agree that PNSO and Safari products are fundementally different in so many ways, this comparison might not hold with the release of the Lingwulong. The Lingwulong retails for £48, and the Patagotitan at £30. Both figures are of similar length, but the Lingwulong is noticeably the larger and taller figure. So by that logic if we shrunk the Lingulong down to the Patagotitan's size, I'd reckon it approaching the £40 mark.

In PNSO's US Amazon store, which is basically akin to buying direct from PNSO (at least in the US), the Lingwulong is $66.99, compared to $29.99 MSRP for the Patagotitan.

Given that even much smaller items in the Museum Line are still in the $60 USD price range, I don't think shaving a few inches off the Lingwulong would bring that much off the price.

I'm not knocking PNSO, they make a high quality product, I just think it's an odd comparison to make when there is a wide gulf between prices of comparable Safari items.

I've seen the comparison brought up a few times by different members on this forum and it just doesn't add up to me when you look at the actual numbers.

If we're talking about MSRP, we must factor into price differences between localities. Safari ltd is an American brand, as such the lowest MSRP would undoubtly be available to those in the US. For PNSO however, the cheapest MRSP would of course, be in mainland China; with the Lingwulong being only 299RMB (~$42).

So if we compared the lowest MSRP of both figures respectively, the difference only comes out to $12.

Amazon US prices are inflated for PNSO figures due to a variety of reasons regarding international commerce. So comparing a product that is selling at international prices vs a product that is being sold at local prices does not make for an accurate assessment in my opinion.

As for the Museum Series being inflated in price? Yeah I think everyone has a similar opinion. I've shared my greviences of that particular line many times in the PNSO threads. They're definitely the outliers though in this comparison.

Lynx

What is the MSRP for the Patagotitan in China?
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on October 11, 2022, 03:00:16 PMWhat is the MSRP for the Patagotitan in China?

Couldn't find it on TaoBao. Maybe the 2022 figures haven't been released there yet?

Quote from: Gwangi on October 11, 2022, 02:20:25 PMAgreed. The $30, 15" Safari Patagotitan is the same price as the 7" PNSO Pachycephalosaurus.

*If you're in the US

The PNSO Pachycephalosaurus retails for 99RMB (~$14) in mainland China.

Lynx

Then maybe it is best to wait until they are released there before having this debate
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on October 11, 2022, 03:03:08 PM
Quote from: Lynx on October 11, 2022, 03:00:16 PMWhat is the MSRP for the Patagotitan in China?

Couldn't find it on TaoBao. Maybe the 2022 figures haven't been released there yet?

Quote from: Gwangi on October 11, 2022, 02:20:25 PMAgreed. The $30, 15" Safari Patagotitan is the same price as the 7" PNSO Pachycephalosaurus.

*If you're in the US

The PNSO Pachycephalosaurus retails for 99RMB (~$14) in mainland China.

I don't think many members here are from mainland China, and I don't think anyone taking part in this discussion is from mainland China. How much something costs in China is not relevant to me. What is relevant is how much less money I have in my bank account after making a purchase and for me it's the same whether I buy the Safari Patagotitan or PNSO Pachycephalosaurus. You're in the UK, what is the price difference there?

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on October 11, 2022, 03:09:59 PMI don't think many members here are from mainland China, and I don't think anyone taking part in this discussion is from mainland China. How much something costs in China is not relevant to me. What is relevant is how much less money I have in my bank account after making a purchase and for me it's the same whether I buy the Safari Patagotitan or PNSO Pachycephalosaurus. You're in the UK, what is the price difference there?

I thought we were discussing the relationship between MSRP and production quality? i.e. how much a company could/should sell a figure for whilst retaining it's current level of quality. Be it size, paint application, crafstmanship, sculptwork, QC etc.

The additional cost of importing these figures into a foreign country should not be a factor as that is an entirely separate issue.

As for the PNSO Pachy, yes it's the same price as the US international price.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on October 11, 2022, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 11, 2022, 03:09:59 PMI don't think many members here are from mainland China, and I don't think anyone taking part in this discussion is from mainland China. How much something costs in China is not relevant to me. What is relevant is how much less money I have in my bank account after making a purchase and for me it's the same whether I buy the Safari Patagotitan or PNSO Pachycephalosaurus. You're in the UK, what is the price difference there?

I thought we were discussing the relationship between MSRP and production quality? i.e. how much a company could/should sell a figure for whilst retaining it's current level of quality. Be it size, paint application, crafstmanship, sculptwork, QC etc.

The additional cost of importing these figures into a foreign country should not be a factor as that is an entirely separate issue.

As for the PNSO Pachy, yes it's the same price as the US international price.

I did not mention the Patagotitan's MSRP in order to make a direct MSRP comparison between PNSO and Safari in their respective "home markets".

The Patagotitan sells for MSRP ($29.99 or local equivalent) in most of the areas where it is currently for sale. I think what matters is the cost in the majority of markets, and in most markets outside of mainland China, PNSO products are still much more expensive than Safari. Even the AliExpress prices for PNSO products typically match their Amazon US store.

PNSO products are not pricier solely due to international shipping. They're more expensive for a variety of reasons, batch size, level of detail, etc. and I still just don't think the comparison of PNSO to Safari because of "similar" pricing works, because on average the pricing for comparably sized items is not similar in almost all markets.

Thialfi

Bokisaurus

🤔 I don't understand the comparison of prices between PNSO and Safari.
They are simply from two different brackets. PNSO is closer to the likes of Rebor, GR toys, iToy, etc. in terms of pricing.
Safari is on the same price range of CollectA and the likes.

Prehistory Resurrection

SpartanSquat

Stygi looks more stoned

ceratopsian

I think sometimes there is a psychological element in how people view prices rather than a purely financial/numerical judgement.  When the price hits a certain mark (where that sits depends on the individual), then everything above that point gets lumped together as "expensive" and the fine gradations of precisely how expensive disappear above that point.  It's like everything above that point gets squashed together to form a single unit and all detail is lost.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 13, 2022, 05:07:20 PM🤔 I don't understand the comparison of prices between PNSO and Safari.
They are simply from two different brackets. PNSO is closer to the likes of Rebor, GR toys, iToy, etc. in terms of pricing.
Safari is on the same price range of CollectA and the likes.

Fembrogon

I got an alert from Safari ltd. yesterday that the Cryolophosaurus is now in stock!

Faelrin

I can't find it on their website for some reason? Like it didn't even show up in a search. How odd.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 29, 2022, 11:03:16 PMI got an alert from Safari ltd. yesterday that the Cryolophosaurus is now in stock!
Good, now hopefully my last order with Dan's will now soon get filled.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on October 29, 2022, 11:47:31 PMI can't find it on their website for some reason? Like it didn't even show up in a search. How odd.

Yeah, I'm also not seeing any sign of it on the web site. Even the item page I bookmarked a while back returns a 404 now. I wonder if it's going to end up being a 2023 figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SenSx

It takes sooo long for those to reach Europe, we still haven't seen the Albertosaurus and its companions from the first wave.

ceratopsian

All we've seen here in the UK is Patagotitan.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: